PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Two very different problems

Gamefreak94
May 28th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Hi,
As you know, I'm very new to Ubuntu and am hitting snags everywhere, here are two of them:

1) I installed Cairo Dock just a while ago, and used the "k" key for the "Show/hide dock using keyboard shortcut" option, but it didn't work, so I removed it, but ever since, the k key isn't woring at all! Neither in the browser, nor in Gnotepad nor in the terminal, and its really painful to copy it from somewhere and press Crl+V everytime! So any idea what went wrong?

2) I put a custom image for a desktop bacground, but ever since that, the screen capture tool isn't working. Neither is the built-in one, nor does Shutter which I installed just to make sure it isn't a bug with Ubuntu's own tool. Any help?

Thank in advance!

longtom
May 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hi,
As you know, I'm very new to Ubuntu and am hitting snags everywhere, here are two of them:

1) I installed Cairo Dock just a while ago, and used the "k" key for the "Show/hide dock using keyboard shortcut" option, but it didn't work, so I removed it, but ever since, the k key isn't woring at all! Neither in the browser, nor in Gnotepad nor in the terminal, and its really painful to copy it from somewhere and press Crl+V everytime! So any idea what went wrong?

As to 1:

Once you have assigned the "k" key to a different use then its original one, it was "unhooked" from the original usage.
Also you are not using "k" for what you initially wanted to, you will have to reassign it to its original use in order to work as in the beginning.

Hope that wasn't too confusing...

fabounet
May 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM
just restarting your session should solve the problem.
next time, think of something like ctrl+k or alt+k or even shift+...+k
test it before, as Compiz already uses a lot of shortcuts.

Gamefreak94
May 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah a restart fixed the problem, thanks!

But problem #2 still remains! I changed the desktop background to default and screen capture is still failing. Any idea?

BTW, what's the CLI command for screen capture?