PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] File Permission: Can't set permission off root

FirstByté
May 28th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I have a NTFS drive I share with my Ubuntu. I actually dual-boot. I just discovered that whenever I try to modify or make changes to files I copy from my Ubuntu [ext3 folders] to the NTFS folders, it sets permission strictly to root. How ever I try reverting the ownership and permission it wouldn't change... It stays as 'root'

I started noticing this on my Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty.

I've tried

myParentfolder$ sudo chmod a+rwx -R /myNaughtyFolder

Even using

myParentfolder$ sudo nautilus

No good. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I tried copying files to my thumb drive, the permission is my user's not 'root'

NOTE: If this a repeated post please feel free to notify me and delete

mcduck
May 28th, 2009, 08:55 AM
You can't change file/directory permissions on FAT/NTFS drives, as those file system's simply don't support Unix-style permissions and ownerships.

For FAT/NTFS drives all permissions are set for the whole drive at mount time.

FirstByté
June 2nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Many thanks much mcduck.:popcorn:

I guess I now understand it. Baseline: I'm happy I still can access the file from Windows. I initially thought it was as a result of my hibernating my Windows.

mcduck
June 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
You can access the data from Ubuntu a well, you just need to configure the drive in /etc/fstab to mount automatically with correct permissions.

See this guide for details: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

Bert Mariën
June 2nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
As I experienced, every file on a NTFS drive is regarded as "root" when accessing it from a Linux distro.
You can not change it. Just live with it.:popcorn: