PDA

View Full Version : Default Switching ISP? Optimum Online (Cable) --> FiOS, need pointers.

metallicamaster3
May 28th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Hey all, recently I've been pressing on switching over to FiOS because of the dedicated fibre optics and the better TV service than I get now from Optimum. TV can really go either way, it's internet that's getting to me.

I need to know a few things about Verizon's service before I make the swtich

- With Optimum I have a static IP. Although I'm in the dynamic pool for Cablevision, I've had the same IP for years because I've kept the same MAC address on my master router. With FiOS, I understand that my IP will change quite more often than I'm used to, but can someone give me a heads up on *how often*? I could use ZoneEdit for DNS for what I need it for, but I'd like to know before I dive in head first.

- With Optimum, the only INBOUND ports I have blocked (ports that people can access on my end, such as HTTP pages on port 80) are 80, 8080, and 25. What ports are blocked on FiOS? I need to be able to host FTP, SSH, and HTTP on my server. This is crucial, probably the hammer's blow on wether or not I'm going to switch.

- The deal that Verizon's been advertising for quite some time now (the one where it's $100 cash back etc, for all of it and whatnot), that comes with the 10/2 package if I'm not mistaken. Now, if I wanted to up that to 20/20, would that invalidate the rest of the deal? I'll pay the $20 extra for 20/20 vs 10/2, but I hope that doesn't screw up the rest of the combo with the Phone/TV mix that's been advertised.

I hope someone can help me with my questions, thanks.

pwnst*r
May 28th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Hey all, recently I've been pressing on switching over to FiOS because of the dedicated fibre optics and the better TV service than I get now from Optimum. TV can really go either way, it's internet that's getting to me.

I need to know a few things about Verizon's service before I make the swtich

- With Optimum I have a static IP. Although I'm in the dynamic pool for Cablevision, I've had the same IP for years because I've kept the same MAC address on my master router. With FiOS, I understand that my IP will change quite more often than I'm used to, but can someone give me a heads up on *how often*? I could use ZoneEdit for DNS for what I need it for, but I'd like to know before I dive in head first.

- With Optimum, the only INBOUND ports I have blocked (ports that people can access on my end, such as HTTP pages on port 80) are 80, 8080, and 25. What ports are blocked on FiOS? I need to be able to host FTP, SSH, and HTTP on my server. This is crucial, probably the hammer's blow on wether or not I'm going to switch.

- The deal that Verizon's been advertising for quite some time now (the one where it's $100 cash back etc, for all of it and whatnot), that comes with the 10/2 package if I'm not mistaken. Now, if I wanted to up that to 20/20, would that invalidate the rest of the deal? I'll pay the $20 extra for 20/20 vs 10/2, but I hope that doesn't screw up the rest of the combo with the Phone/TV mix that's been advertised.

I hope someone can help me with my questions, thanks.

you'll have more responses from people who know here:

http://www.dslreports.com/

great site for that stuff. GL.