PDA

View Full Version : Is it a bad idea to have KDE and OpenBox on the same system?

gymophett
May 28th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Like, have an Openbox session and a KDE one? Will it mess with all of my files. Because I love them both! :o

CJ Master
May 28th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Yes. If you like both, why don't you use KDE+Openbox instead of Kwin?

gymophett
May 28th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Yes. If you like both, why don't you use KDE+Openbox instead of Kwin?

I don't want them running at the same time. I want a pure KDE desktop and a pure OB desktop. :)
Would it be bad to add Gnome too, or would the WMs start to interfer with each other?

CJ Master
May 28th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I don't want them running at the same time. I want a pure KDE desktop and a pure OB desktop. :)
Would it be bad to add Gnome too, or would the WMs start to interfer with each other?

You can add as many as you have space for. Change them on the login screen.

gymophett
May 28th, 2009, 02:40 AM

Trust me, I have plenty of space. 310GB free. :)
I might try out quite a bit then.
This'll be fun. :)

LookTJ
May 28th, 2009, 02:40 AM
This would have been my answer. :D

gymophett
May 28th, 2009, 03:06 AM
This would have been my answer. :D

I'm just scared that my Window Managers will mess up, like have an OpenBox menu in KDE and a gnome panel in OB, etc. I want everything to be like if I installed a OpenBox deriviant (I think I'm spelling that wrong) , Kubuntu, or Ubuntu. I don't want a Gnome cursor in my KDE install. :/
Get it?

LookTJ
May 28th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I'm just scared that my Window Managers will mess up, like have an OpenBox menu in KDE and a gnome panel in OB, etc. I want everything to be like if I installed a OpenBox deriviant (I think I'm spelling that wrong) , Kubuntu, or Ubuntu. I don't want a Gnome cursor in my KDE install. :/
Get it?
The configuration files are independent of each other as far as I know.

EDIT: Wait for someone to confirm this

kk0sse54
May 28th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Yes you're absolutely fine, you can install whatever DE/WM you want

Xbehave
May 28th, 2009, 03:33 AM
No running KDE and OpenBox on the same system is fine! Anybody who says otherwise is wrong! Openbox is very lightweight so don't worry about space* (8053kB for me to install it here), all configuration is seperate, but menus may be synced by 8053kB (which is run when you install pacakges) if you don't want that im sure it can be disabled though.

*You could probably fit all the *boxs and lightwaight DEs in less than 100MB

p.s I'm a kde user but i keep a spare often keep a fluxbox around so that if i don't want a full session i can get my computer working quickly

edit: The only thing that gets messed up if you install a few "full" desktop enviroemnts (gnome, xfce, kde, etc) are the menus getting clutterd, but they may be a way to avoid this

avaralom
May 28th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I run both Gnome and Fluxbox on this computer, and my only real problem has been aesthetic. Gnome programs looking ugly in Fluxbox, but a little tweaking fixed that issue.

gymophett
May 28th, 2009, 05:36 AM
edit: The only thing that gets messed up if you install a few "full" desktop enviroemnts (gnome, xfce, kde, etc) are the menus getting clutterd, but they may be a way to avoid this
There is a way to put XFCE in one menu, Gnome in other, etc.
I have Openbox, and KDE on the same system right now. It's running great!

stwschool
May 28th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I've got kde, gnome, fluxbox, openbox, xfce, lxde and a couple of others. I spend most of my time in gnome as I've got my compiz setup, gnome-do and everything else running beautifully, and it looks sexy as hell, but the others are there if gnome breaks or if I fancy trying something new.

Ms_Angel_D
May 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM
There is a way to put XFCE in one menu, Gnome in other, etc.

Could you elaborate a bit on this?