PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

hanzomon4
May 27th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I want to take a file, say a jpeg, and look at it in binary 1s and 0s. Is there a program or command that would allow me to do this?

Paqman
May 27th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Why not just randomly put a few thousand 1's and 0's into a text file? The effect will be the same ;)

hanzomon4
May 27th, 2009, 10:43 PM
No it needs t be authentic... it's a part of some conceptual art tom foolery

burvowski
May 27th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Why not just randomly put a few thousand 1's and 0's into a text file? The effect will be the same ;)

hahaha this made me laugh out loud really hard for some reason

Sinkingships7
May 27th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I want to take a file, say a jpeg, and look at it in binary 1s and 0s. Is there a program or command that would allow me to do this?

A picture file would generate a LOT of those 1's and 0's you seem so fond of. I may be wrong here, but let's say you have a 50 kilobyte jpeg -- not very large at all; pretty standard. We know that each binary digit is one bit, so let's break this down.

50 kilobytes == 50 * 1000 (approx. # of bytes in a kilobyte) == 50,000 bytes.

50,000 * 8 (bits in a byte) == 400,000 bits.

So the real question here is: what could possibly come of reading 400,000 1's and 0's? May I ask what this is for? As for whether or not it's possible, I'm sure it is. However, I don't know of any ready-made programs that do this.

clonne4crw
May 27th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Bleh. I think it would be easier to covert it to hex, then to binary. Or I would just leave it in hex. Looks prettier that way IMO.

boof1988
May 27th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I have heard of ways to do a hex-dump (I think this is an output of the raw data in hex) using dd here (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p6.htm#What_does_an_MBR_really_look_like). If that is possible than it should not be too difficult to either binary-dump or just convert the hex to binary.

*dunno*

Edit:
I guess hexdump is a command in itself. Maybe there is some sort of binary dump application.

See...

man hexdump

Muffinabus
May 27th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I wonder if you mean turning a picture into ASCII? I can't see how thousands of 1's and 0's would classify as art, it won't look like anything.

Sub101
May 27th, 2009, 11:05 PM
The program
okteta has this facility.

boof1988
May 27th, 2009, 11:16 PM
If you use GNOME...

ghex may be useful.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/GHex-29594.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_hex_editors

hanzomon4
May 27th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Umm.. Hex might be cool to. Basically I'm working with the idea of documentation; how the medium one choses can dramatically effect the way a particular "thing" is experienced and what can be considered a documentation. For example I performed and recorded a composition by Steve Reich (Pendulum Music) on to photo sensitive paper. The print was no less legitimate then a recording on tape but the medium I chose for "recording" transformed it from a time-based sonic experience to a very striking visual one that's completely silent.

But yeah, I realize that it would be a lot of 1s and 0s but thats ok

clonne4crw
May 27th, 2009, 11:24 PM
AAhhhhhh. Interesting. I'm gonna try that.