PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fireforx & Thunderbird add-ons & Plug-Ins

joelop
May 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Hi All,

I'm moving from Win XP to Ubuntu and I have a doubt now. I have a very customized Firefox and Thunderbird and I'd like to know if there's any tool that I could use to save this settings in Win to make it work in Ubuntu.

Is there an easy way for the migration of these program's customizations?

albinootje
May 27th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Is there an easy way for the migration of these program's customizations?

You can simply copy the whole profile directory, and use that in both Thunderbird and Firefox.

See here : http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles (choose Linux or Windows).

After finding the profile itself, and copying it, start Firefox with the Profile Manager in a terminal :

firefox -P

Create a new profile, and then make sure that it will use your copied profile directory as directory.

florus
May 27th, 2009, 10:38 PM
You must uninstall your add-ons before copying your profile. Add-ons are compiled differently for Linux and the Windows ones will not work.

presence1960
May 28th, 2009, 12:23 AM
also the command to open profile manager is
firefox -profilemanager and
thunderbird -profilemanager

I copied my profile folders for FF & TB over from windows. The addons that didn't work I just removed from ubuntu and added the ones for Linux.

albinootje
May 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM
also the command to open profile manager is

Are you telling me that I'm -not- successfully using "firefox -P" since years ? Try/test it yourself.

presence1960
May 28th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Are you telling me that I'm -not- successfully using "firefox -P" since years ? Try/test it yourself.

I am not trying to tell you anything, I got my info off the mozilla page. BTW I tried your command and it works also.