PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sata / raid

m3bik
May 27th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I've recently tried installing Ubuntu Server 8.10 on a computer. The computer has two 80GB SATA hard drives. When doing the install, I see something about turning on the SATA RAID devices. If I click yes, I get an error message and have to go back. If I click no, the install continues. The two drives are listed in the partition screen. I set the drives like I wish and continue.

When I reboot the computer to start linux, I get an error message saying Error loading operating system. Then it asks for a boot CD/DVD.

Am I not configuring this right or do I need to upgrade to 9.04?

m3bik
May 27th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I don't need RAID set up. I just need to install Ubuntu to one of the drives and keep the other one for storage.

orange-wedge
May 28th, 2009, 03:07 AM
This sounds like a BIOS issue... You may try re-installing grub or re-running the installation.

m3bik
May 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
The computer had XP on it and it booted fine. I haven't changed anything, but formatted it. If the BIOS booted from the hard drive with windows, why can't it boot from the same hard drive with linux?

m3bik
May 28th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I've tried Ubuntu Server 9.04 and it installs with no errors, with or without RAID enabled.

With RAID enabled, I get the same boot problem.

With RAID disabled, the computer boots with no problems now. I haven't changed anything, just the version of Ubuntu. Either way, it looks like I've got the problem fixed.

Thanks!

orange-wedge
May 29th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Are you using software raid?