PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Opening Python Interpreter with Customised Terminal Profile

navneeth
May 27th, 2009, 09:11 PM
This is not a programming question per se, but I though it was suited here more than anywhere else on the board.

When we open the Python interpreter (from Applications->Programming->Python(v2.6)), a window similar to the Gnome-terminal appears with the same profile, but with the interpreter showing. Well, I created another profile so that I won't confuse the regular terminal for the interpreter or vice-versa. But what I want to know is how to make the interpreter open with the custom profile I created, rather than the default?

Any help will be appreciated.

unutbu
May 28th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Make a custom launcher (or menu item) which this command:

gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=PROFILENAME

navneeth
May 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Make a custom launcher (or menu item) which this command:

Thanks for your reply, but all that command will do is open a terminal with the Shell, whereas what I want is the Python interpreter. I should neither be typing python (as in the command) at the shell, nor should I be right-clicking to change the profile.

Applications->Programming->Python and it should automatically open the interpreter with the custom profile.

unutbu
May 28th, 2009, 12:41 PM
In gnome-terminal, click Edit>Profile.
Select the name of your "python" profile -- what I call the PROFILENAME below.
Click the "Edit" button.
Click the "Title and Command" tab.
Enable to "Run a custom command instead of my shell" checkbox.
Type in /usr/bin/python as the "Custom command".
Click close, etc.
Then run

I assume you know how to make the command into a gnome panel menu item. If not, just ask.

navneeth
May 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM
In gnome-terminal, click Edit>Profile.
Select the name of your "python" profile -- what I call the PROFILENAME below.
Click the "Edit" button.
Click the "Title and Command" tab.
Enable to "Run a custom command instead of my shell" checkbox.
Type in /usr/bin/python as the "Custom command".
Click close, etc.
Then run

I assume you know how to make the command into a gnome panel menu item. If not, just ask.

Wonderful! That is exactly what I needed. Thank you. (I edited the existing menu item for Python.)