PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OpenArena better in GNOME than KDE?

LesterPalooza
May 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Better means less choppiness in gameplay, faster frame rate and faster loading speed. I compared running OpenArena in GNOME and KDE and surprisingly there is a difference between the performance of the game.

I am running on 1.9Ghz AMD64 Athlon Dual Core QL-60 and 3Gb of RAM, NVidia X11, 185.19 on both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 9.04. OpenGL settings are set to High Performance on both desktops. I used separate installments of Ubuntu and Kubuntu. So no kubuntu-desktop on GNOME and vice-versa.

I also turned off desktop effects in Kubuntu for a better run of the game.

Why do you think KDE runs OpenArena worse than GNOME? The thing is, I have more than enough RAM and good hardware to run the game. I do not know what's slowing down OpenArena.

Out of the box, openarena is faster in XFCE than GNOME and KDE
Also, compiz runs better on GNOME than KDE. Same specs and same OpenGL settings....

Didius Falco
May 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM
<snip>
Why do you think KDE runs OpenArena worse than GNOME? <snip>

Out of the box, openarena is faster in XFCE than GNOME and KDE
Also, compiz runs better on GNOME than KDE. Same specs and same OpenGL settings....

You've pretty much answered it yourself; those three desktops use varying amounts of system resources to run, with XFCE being the lightest, Gnome next and KDE being the flashiest, most resource intense of the three.

Less resources being used for the desktop means more available for the game.

An idea for you to consider: install the combination of desktops you like on the same Ubuntu installation. You can choose which to run at startup. That way, for example, you can run XFCE when you just want to game, Gnome when you want some eye-candy, and KDE when you want the whole fireworks display.

Regards,

Didius