PDA

View Full Version : DVD + R vs DVD - R

pricetech
May 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Just curious, not looking for a technical answer.

Has anyone used both ??

Can you tell any difference in the two ??

Again, just curious.

HappyFeet
May 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
DVD-R is considered the industry standard. DVD+R is a rogue implimentation. Most burners will handle DVD+R OK, but there are a few that have problems with it. I always use DVD-R, as it is always compatible with any burner. Plus, standalone DVD players can be picky about which format you use. Hence, DVD-R is better. Not much, but still.

"Since the DVD+R format is a competing format to the DVD-R format, which is developed by the DVD Forum, it has not been approved by the DVD Forum, which claims that the DVD+R format is not an official DVD form."

Skripka
May 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
DVD-R is considered the industry standard. DVD+R is a rogue implimentation. Most burners will handle DVD+R OK, but there are a few that have problems with it. I always use DVD-R, as it is always compatible with any burner. Plus, standalone DVD players can be picky about which format you use. Hence, DVD-R is better. Not much, but still.

"Since the DVD+R format is a competing format to the DVD-R format, which is developed by the DVD Forum, it has not been approved by the DVD Forum, which claims that the DVD+R format is not an official DVD form."

DVD+R though has better error protection built in, as I recall though. Also, most computer burners/readers made in the last 5 years can handle both.

pricetech
May 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM
According to wikipedia, the "plus R" has now been approved. (2008) They also say that the plus R has better fault tolerance, though most consumers probably wouldn't notice a difference. I can see where compatibility with older devices could be an issue. I remember running into problems with older drives in the early days of CD R disks.

Thanks for the input.

gletob
May 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Also with -R you get one chance to put data on with +R you can put data on it as many times as you want until it's full. Neither can be erased

Cityscape
May 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Also DVD+R is supposed to be better for movies. :D

northwestuntu
May 27th, 2009, 09:19 PM
booktype/bitsetting in + makes it better i think.

kc3
May 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Normally they're pretty similar. I work for a security company though and I can tell you that SOME security DVRs with burners can only burn video to a DVD+R.

LowSky
May 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Also with -R you get one chance to put data on with +R you can put data on it as many times as you want until it's full.

completely wrong -- both disks can be used until full by using the dont not close feature of many buring software

steeleyuk
May 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
If you really want to understand the differences, then this article (http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/) covers it pretty well. It was written in 2003 but I think a lot of it still applies.

pricetech
May 27th, 2009, 11:57 PM
If you really want to understand the differences, then this article (http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/) covers it pretty well. It was written in 2003 but I think a lot of it still applies.

Very detailed. Thanks for the link. WikiPedia doesn't go into any detail, but they do acknowledge the superiority of plus.

Dark Aspect
May 28th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I have never had any problem with DVD-Rs and they can be a little cheaper so I would just stick with that.

gn2
May 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I've used both and have never noticed any difference between the two.

pricetech
May 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the various input. It turns out both my burners are "plus R" so I really didn't have a choice anyway. (oh well)

Thanks again to everyone who responded.