PDA

View Full Version : Wine Integration Question?

aaronmarsh632
May 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hi everyone,

OK, i know wine isn't perfect but it does run alot of windows programs.

My question is would it be possible for some clever person to integrate wine into the ubuntu operating system, for example instead of installing wine, then installing your win apps thru wine... you just double click the exe file, it installes like normal, then it puts a link in the relevant menu under your apps list?

would this be possible?

thanks

Xbehave
May 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I've not used wine for a while but last time i was in kubuntu it already did this, you can launch all .exes in wine easily by selecting wine as the application for .exes (like OOwriter is for .docs), the menu integration may have been a clever bit of kmenu trickery though.

Bungo Pony
May 27th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I believe you can right click on a .exe and have the option to execute the file with WINE. That's pretty integrated if you ask me.

nickstu
May 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM
if you double click an exe installer it behaves exactly like a windows installer. and it creates menu icons too (in the wine menu folder) and even desktop icons

wolfyking2
May 27th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I think he's asking if wine would be built into the system, but you wouldn't know, or it wouldn't show. Like, you just 2-click a .exe and it opens, not in the wine desktop or whatever

CJ Master
May 27th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Not by default it wouldn't. We don't need Linux newbs asking what program xx they use in Windows doesn't work correctly in Linux, thinking the native file format is EXE.

Script Warlock
May 29th, 2009, 03:59 AM
its possible but are we making ubuntu more like windows?

SunnyRabbiera
May 29th, 2009, 06:22 AM
What exactly are you asking aaronmarsh632?
Make wine a official part of Ubuntu?
Give it the Ubuntu theme and such?

Both are out of the question, but firstly I will say that wine is not included by default for many good reasons.
Firstly I can only imagine the legal crap MS will shove up our butts, we already have them trying to sue us for nonsensical copyright claims as it is.