PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A little confused...KDE n gnome

Irishe
May 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM
ok, Here's the thing, i have been using
ubuntu for a few weeks now and went ahead and installed
the KDE desktop environment. i love the way it looks and feels.

But then saw a link to KDE 4.2 and i go hmm. cause the one i'm using
is 3.5. My confusion comes in because i thought it was something you
added to gnome for a better look and feel to your desktop.
and now i find a seperate site for KDE. ( link here (http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.2/) )

Does that mean i can run it without Gnome or is it all
connected?

i do realize there are several distros of ubuntu,
including Kubuntu,Xubuntu just wondering if each flavor
is similar to what you can get through gnome or are they really
seperate, just available through gnome?

tacticalbread
May 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I'm guess you're coming from Windows, where you only have one choice of desktop environment. :)

KDE, and GNOME ( and also loads more ) are seperate desktop environments, essentially, most of the GUI. You can have multiple DEs installed at once, selecting witch one you want to use at the logon screen, or you can have only one. Ubuntu comes with the GNOME desktop, Kubuntu with KDE, and Xubuntu with xfce.

here's a load of different DEs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment#Examples_of_desktop_environmen ts

SuperSonic4
May 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Not only that but youcan have any number of window managers or even no GUI at all. You can do everything with the keyboard should you wish :p

fballem
May 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM
In Windows, the kernel and the desktop gui (in programming terms, the 'presentation layer') are tightly coupled. It is extremely difficult to separate one from the other.

In the GNU/Linux world, things are very different. The actual operating system is Linux - this is the kernel. The Desktop gui (the presentation layer) sits on top of the kernel. This is the reason that you can use an entirely different destop gui (GNOME, KDE, xfce, etc.). As long as it calls the kernel correctly, it will work. Each of the desktops have strengths and challenges, and it is largely a matter of personal preference as to which ones you use.

KDE, for example, includes a number of application programs, such as Koffice, Konquerer, etc. that provide various applications. GNOME also provides similar programs, although many users will use different applications in each environment.

There is a lot of choice in the presentation layer, but they all go against the same kernel. It should be noted that the presentation layer approach provides the ultimate in flexibility. For example, the OpenSolaris 'kernel' uses GNOME as the default desktop. I don't know if KDE has been ported to OpenSolaris, but it probably could be if someone wanted to.

Hope this helps,

Irishe
May 28th, 2009, 04:48 AM
In Windows, the kernel and the desktop gui (in programming terms, the 'presentation layer') are tightly coupled. It is extremely difficult to separate one from the other.

In the GNU/Linux world, things are very different. The actual operating system is Linux - this is the kernel. The Desktop gui (the presentation layer) sits on top of the kernel. This is the reason that you can use an entirely different destop gui (GNOME, KDE, xfce, etc.). As long as it calls the kernel correctly, it will work. Each of the desktops have strengths and challenges, and it is largely a matter of personal preference as to which ones you use.

KDE, for example, includes a number of application programs, such as Koffice, Konquerer, etc. that provide various applications. GNOME also provides similar programs, although many users will use different applications in each environment.

There is a lot of choice in the presentation layer, but they all go against the same kernel. It should be noted that the presentation layer approach provides the ultimate in flexibility. For example, the OpenSolaris 'kernel' uses GNOME as the default desktop. I don't know if KDE has been ported to OpenSolaris, but it probably could be if someone wanted to.

Hope this helps,

Actually, i beleive this is exactly What i needed to hear.
it's helps tremendously to know that the basis for the OS is the Linux kernel.
Thanks Loads fballem.

I'm guess you're coming from Windows, where you only have one choice of desktop environment. :)

KDE, and GNOME ( and also loads more ) are seperate desktop environments, essentially, most of the GUI. You can have multiple DEs installed at once, selecting witch one you want to use at the logon screen, or you can have only one. Ubuntu comes with the GNOME desktop, Kubuntu with KDE, and Xubuntu with xfce.

here's a load of different DEs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment#Examples_of_desktop_environmen ts
And unfortunately your answer is yes, i have been with Windows
For many years, but also enjoy a little command line as well.
But i'm loving The New Linux.
Thanks For your Reply as well.

Tibuda
May 28th, 2009, 12:23 PM
This may help: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome