PDA

View Full Version : Script for Multiple DVD burners

MepisReign
May 27th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hi:
I've trying to write a script so I can burn the very same ISO image on different DVD burners. So far and using cdrecord I've accomplished to burn on the 2 drives but it burns on the first one and then burns on the second. I mean that is burning on one at a time. You Oh Scripting Wizards could lead me so I can get the job done? :P

The script (which is very simple) since I'm a complete n00b is as follows:

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/bob/DVD
cdrecord dev=4,0,0 -data -eject speed=4 DVDVIDEO.iso
cdrecord dev=5,0,0 -data -eject speed=4 DVDVIDEO.iso

I would also like and once the script is complete, add it to nautilus. The final idea is right click on the ISO image and set it to burn right away.

Please let me know if you need more information, even that is a very simple "project" script.

Best Regards and Thank YOU in advanced,

MepisReign

P.S.: Also tried wodim, here is the script

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/bob/DVD
wodim -dao -data -eject dev='/dev/scd2' speed=4 DVDVIDEO.iso
wodim -dao -data -eject dev='/dev/scd3' speed=4 DVDVIDEO.iso

UbuKunubi
May 27th, 2009, 09:54 PM
What happens if you use separate terminal instances to burn to each drive?

Just wondering,
Ubu

MepisReign
May 28th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I definitely could try, most probably will make the burn at the same time, but that's precisely the main idea, with a single script burn the discs (in this case 2) simultaneously. :)
There is a software called turbojet2 which is a front end of cdrecord, was written to run in KDE and it misses some things when is executed on gnome.
I know that little script of mine is missing something, and also I know for sure that I need to add just a detail in order to work properly and that's the issue, I just don't know what it is...:(

Greetz!!

MepisReign

necromantula
May 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Put a single ampersand (&) on the end of each cdrecord command, and it will run them in the background

MepisReign
May 28th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Put a single ampersand (&) on the end of each cdrecord command, and it will run them in the background

You mean like this?
#!/bin/bash
cd /home/bob/DVD
cdrecord dev=4,0,0 -data -eject speed=4 DVDVIDEO.iso &
cdrecord dev=5,0,0 -data -eject speed=4 DVDVIDEO.iso &

MepisReign
May 28th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Could somebody point to me into the right direction?
All I need is to be able to burn 2 DVD discs at the same time and the very same iso image. For somebody who knows how to write down scripts shouldn't be too difficult, Am I mistaken?

Greetings

MepisReign

MepisReign
May 28th, 2009, 04:04 PM
bump :(

necromantula
May 29th, 2009, 12:05 AM
You mean like this?
#!/bin/bash
cd /home/bob/DVD
cdrecord dev=4,0,0 -data -eject speed=4 DVDVIDEO.iso &
cdrecord dev=5,0,0 -data -eject speed=4 DVDVIDEO.iso &

yeah, just like that. did you test it? unless cdrecord requires user input after it gets ran, it should work great

soltanis
May 29th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Forking them to the background with the & should get the job done for you perfectly.

MepisReign
May 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM
Ok, I will give it a try

Thx for your replies

MepisReign

MepisReign
December 15th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Coming back to my old threat, testing here and there the best results were using the script like this:

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/bob/DVD
cdrecord dev='/dev/scd0' -v -sao -data -eject speed=4 DVDVIDEO.iso &
cdrecord dev='/dev/scd1' -v -sao -data -eject speed=4 DVDVIDEO.iso &

Greetz!