PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Terminal Size

CarlosinFL
May 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
When I open Gnome Terminal application to function in bash shell, my terminal always opens in a specific size and in the top left corner of my screen. Is it possible when I open 'Terminal' to have it open in full screen.

kerry_s
May 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
When I open Gnome Terminal application to function in bash shell, my terminal always opens in a specific size and in the top left corner of my screen. Is it possible when I open 'Terminal' to have it open in full screen.

lol, to hard to click the button or press f11? ;)

CarlosinFL
May 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Not hard, just annoying...

Why not make it the default and save yourself a button click...

boof1988
May 27th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Here are two links that may have some useful information for this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188948 and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=465670

I used the second one (IIRC) to learn how to use the "--geometry" option to make a launcher to open a terminal with specific position and dimensions.

I would imagine (hope) that the "--geometry" option could be added to menu launchers as well??

HTH

drs305
May 27th, 2009, 04:36 PM
My shortcut uses this. You can play with the settings:

gnome-terminal --geometry=140x50+50+50

The 140 is width, the first 50 is number of lines, and the last two are x and y offsets from the borders.

boof1988
May 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
The 140 is width, the first 50 is number of lines, and the last two are x and y offsets from the borders.

Just wanted to clarify further (I hope this is correct)...

140 -> ~number of characters wide
50 -> number of character lines
x -> number of pixels offset from left edge of screen
y -> number of pixels offset from top edge of screen

Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

CarlosinFL
May 27th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Awesome guys!

Nythain
May 27th, 2009, 08:15 PM
you coudl install terminator and harness teh power of its awesome config file ( wich gnome-terminal probably has one of buried somewhere deep in the bowels of your home folder anyways) or switch to a better terminal emulator and use the .Xdefaults :P