PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to define a run app command in terminal

thegoat001
May 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I have download eagle 5.6.0 an application for pcb layout.
This version is newer than that in the ubuntu repositories, which forced me to download it from the company's website. I successfully installed the shell script and am able to run the program without any problems.

Issue: When I enter eagle into the terminal to run the app, I am told that the program is not installed and that I can use sudo apt to install it if I would like. I am guessing this is because I did not download it through synaptic package manager.

How do I make it so that I can enter a command into the terminal which will then run a specific file/program for me. The program runs fine, but appears to be installed with a different directory structure (everything is within one folder and there is no .eagle folder under the home user directory) than other programs I have installed with the package manager.

Specific Question: Is there a file somewhere that would allow me to define a command to open a file rather than having to navigate to it every time. I like the convenience of simply being able to type the application name to have it run and am also just curious about how ubuntu controls such commands.

Thanks in advance

kpkeerthi
May 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM
You can search for the manually installed binary using

sudo updatedb && locate eagle

darthmob
May 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
you will find most executables (or rather links to executables) in the folder /usr/bin/ . if you want to start a program via terminal or alt+f2 launcher it will look in that folder.
personally, I would put a link to the executable in /usr/bin/ or create a shellscript in it which opens the program.

PS: I did not know you could do it like kpkeerthi says. sounds a bit easier!

Celauran
May 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM
PS: I did not know you could do it like kpkeerthi says. sounds a bit easier!

It's not a replacement for what you suggested, though. His code will tell you where the binary is located, you'll still need to either add a link to /usr/bin or add its directory to your $PATH.

thegoat001
May 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks all, I moved the executable file into the filesystem/bin directory and everything seems to work now when I simply enter eagle into the terminal, thanks again for you help! I also ran the updatedb and locate commands.