PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no gui ubuntu 9.04

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
i installed ubuntu 9.04 and it worked well and then i whent to advanced desk top effects it downloaded driver i rebooted and all i have now is a .no resume image,doing normal boot.
i searched google for a fix and im starting to get discouraged.
i have nvidia 8600 gt and a 3.16 gb intell dual core.

overdrank
May 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
i installed ubuntu 9.04 and it worked well and then i whent to advanced desk top effects it downloaded driver i rebooted and all i have now is a .no resume image,doing normal boot.
i searched google for a fix and im starting to get discouraged.
i have nvidia 8600 gt and a 3.16 gb intell dual core.

Hi and welcome, have you tried to boot into recovery mode and use xfix to correct the graphical issues?
Recovery mode is usually the second choice from the grub when booting.
Move to Absolute Beginner Talk

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hi and welcome, have you tried to boot into recovery mode and use xfix to correct the graphical issues?
Recovery mode is usually the second choice from the grub when booting.
Move to Absolute Beginner Talk

yes and still no fix

Paul41
May 27th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Try running the following from the command line and then answer the questions it takes you through to see if it fixes it (if you are unsure of the answer you can usually pick the default).

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Try running the following from the command line and then answer the questions it takes you through to see if it fixes it (if you are unsure of the answer you can usually pick the default).

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

im reinstalling right now is there any thing special i should do before i let it put driver in?
:(

Paul41
May 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
No, it should take care of everything for you.

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM
No, it should take care of everything for you.

do i put 173 or 180 nvdia driver?

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM
im reinstalling right now is there any thing special i should do before i let it put driver in?
:(

it saysxsever-org not installed and no info is available:confused:

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM
says xsever is not installed

durand
May 27th, 2009, 07:22 PM
says xsever is not installed

Install the xserver-xorg package.

sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg

It might just be easier if you reinstalled.

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM
i did and every time it does this

durand
May 27th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Erm, what do you do everytime? Next time, try to install the graphics driver from System > Administration > Hardware Drivers.

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM
i have this is my fourth time and it boots and says no resume image,doing normal boot

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
did it still not working all i have is my name-dessktop:~$

Jive Turkey
May 27th, 2009, 07:50 PM
"no resume image" seems to suggest that ubuntu is for some reason trying to resume from suspend or hibernate mode. 2 out of my 3 computers will not hibernate or suspend for ubuntu (they go down, but start up to black screen sometimes with cryptic error messages or just a blinking cursor, there is no fix except a hard reset and never to use hibernate or suspend again)

My suggestion:

Do a fresh install(again, sorry), then run these commands in a terminal (menu: Applications>Accessories>Terminal in case you didn't know)

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot if prompted (make extra sure you are restarting and not hibernating/suspending)
Then go to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers
and try to install the 180 driver
reboot (again, make sure you are not suspending)
That might be more reliable for you.

Jive Turkey
May 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM
did it still not working all i have is my name-dessktop:~$

at the $ prompt, what happens if you type "startx" sans quotes, and press enter?

also try the command "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart" if startx doesn't get you into a gui environment. Then try startx agian.

also, maybe first try holding down ctrl+alt and press F7 if that does nothing, do ctrl+alt+F8 and post any error messages that you find there.

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
still no gui

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
run ubuntu 8.04 and didnt have this problem

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 08:17 PM
sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg(this aptitude does not have super cow powers)

badtazz72
May 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM
this is driving me crazy

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 12:21 AM
can some one please help me

durand
May 28th, 2009, 12:29 AM
In order for us to help you, you need to give more information than "still no gui". What error comes up?

sodainmay
May 28th, 2009, 12:30 AM
mabe you can change the source and apt-get install again,or your dispaly drive doen't work

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 12:32 AM
unabel to connect to x sever

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 12:33 AM
no sreens found

xavierp94
May 28th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Have you tried disabling the problematic drivers? Do that if possible through recovery mode.

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 12:35 AM
all i have is a black sreen with desk top :~$_

xavierp94
May 28th, 2009, 12:40 AM
all i have is a black sreen with desk top :~$_
So you are in the terminal right now. Am I right?

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM
i dont now i installed ubuntu 9.04 and let it install driver and now i have no gui
only comand promt

xavierp94
May 28th, 2009, 12:44 AM
i dont now i installed ubuntu 9.04 and let it install driver and now i have no gui
only comand promt
Try typing in
startx

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Try typing in
startx

no screen found
no device found

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 12:48 AM
no such file or directory

xavierp94
May 28th, 2009, 12:52 AM
no such file or directory
Try the following solutions:

Try this command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorgThat reconfigures the xserver back to the default settings. After that, enter this command:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restartThis restarts the Gnome Display Manager. You should now have your GUI back. At this point you should now go back to system>admin>hardware drivers and disable/uninstall the driver that didn't work. If you want, you can try installing envyng to install the graphics drivers...I had to do this to get my graphics card rolling. To install envyng just enter this command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install envyng-coreNow press CTRL+ALT+F1 to drop out of X. Enter this command to run envyng:

envyng -tAfter that follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver for your card. Just reboot when prompted. Let us know if this get her going.
Link to thread:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1170391

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 01:01 AM
says checking battery stat and has a blinking crosier

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 01:25 AM
still sitting blinking

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 01:33 AM
looks like it does it when i install nvidia driver i un in stalled nvidia driver and got gui back

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 01:45 AM
this is crazy wy does it loose the gui when i install driver

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM
atal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
xinit: Server error.

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 02:30 AM
any body figure this out?:(

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 02:44 AM
You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

badtazz72
May 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM
has any body got this gui problem figured out

Jive Turkey
May 30th, 2009, 12:13 AM
You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

I think you should do what it says, boot up to your black screen which hopefully gets you to a '~$' prompt which is where you are supposed to type:

sudo nvidia-xconfig
you should get prompted for a password and then it will hopefully configure your xorg.conf file correctly to use the driver.
In the past we used to post our xorg.conf files for others to review and offer suggestions when we had problems like this but that practice has become less useful as the way xserver uses the file seems to change radically as the various packages evolve. If you resort to that type of troubleshooting you should be sure to stick with jaunty 9.04 versions.

'sudo' is the preferred "as root" method for ubuntu.
Most other linux OS's generally use another method which we are not allowed to discuss on the forums.

badtazz72
May 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
i whent back to windows for now need my pc. i love linux but not they problems with nvidia
well see how it wrks out with next version:(

twocs
June 17th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I think I can summarize the problem:

The GUI works for the Live CD.
The GUI worked when you installed the for the first time.
When you tried to install the advanced desktop effects, it downloaded drivers and didn't work any more.
You tried fixing x-server, but none of your efforts worked.

So, it seems like you hadn't spent a long time using Ubuntu on that partition, so if it was me, I'd probably just cut my losses and reinstall 9.04.

You could then experiment with the advanced desktop effects using the Live CD first, so that we check the driver that gets downloaded is working for Ubuntu. It's really a good system, with many advantages especially for getting interested in programming. For example, setting up NetBeans is really simple, much better than Windows IMO.

badtazz72
July 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
it works in 8.04lts i wold like to use 9.04 but my head is ready to crack