PDA

View Full Version : What is the most fun thing about Linux for you?

powerpleb
May 27th, 2009, 01:27 PM
What makes Linux fun for you? Please share...

gnomeuser
May 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
With every other system I can't really be a part of making it. I can't truly help other users, merely work around bugs or reinstall. In Linux I can be part of making it great, that freedom has made me learn new skills such as usability and quality assurance which I would have never gotten otherwise. I get to be part of creating bleeding edge technology, something I maintain might be used by millions of people which is an awesome but also slightly terrifying feeling.

I don't so much enjoy the politics and I ascribe strictly to the "make it not suck upstream" school, it is hard to find a home for that lately.

Linux is many things, it powers my laptop and my phone but also the large server farms that run my internet searches. I think that diversity is fun and presents us with a whole new set of problems to deal with.

fatality_uk
May 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM
http://www.sauerbraten.org/

FUN FUN FUN :D

pwnst*r
May 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
option 2 is retarded.

Sand & Mercury
May 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM
option 2 is retarded.
They're pretty much all retarded.

Barrucadu
May 27th, 2009, 03:43 PM
No option for playing around with Emacs? :P

Name change
May 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Listening to your hard drive / RAM through aplay or listening to system update through
festival :D

cat /dev/sda | aplay -fdat

emeraldgirl08
May 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I installed Linux out of curiosity and expansion of my meager knowledge of computers. There is a little bit of a learning curve on the OS but that's what makes it rewarding for me ;)

I was getting bored of Windows XP also and detest Vista anyway. My sister had Vista on her comp and we downgraded it to XP Pro. I have yet to convince her to dual-boot her comp to a linux-distro. She probably wouldn't have the patience to figure out why "this or that" is not working.

Around this time last year I wouldn't have thought of installing Linux at all! Of course I didn't have my own comp back then but right now it's working out just dandy :D

Screwdriver0815
May 27th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Linux is the OS which fits my needs. Thats it.

In Linux all the applications are available which I need to get the desktop experience I want.
No other OS is able to deliver this experience to me, so I use Linux and I am satisfied.

I can not really work with Windows and so I can not really have fun with Windows. I do not understand how OSX works - so I can not have fun with it.
The remaining is Linux - I can work with it, I know what to do to get what I want, I have fun with it.

fatality_uk
May 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Lame options, bad op, baad op!!

dioltas
May 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I was getting bored of Windows XP also and detest Vista anyway.

Ya, vista makes me sick. Hate having to use it when sorting out friends computers. I'd take XP over vista any day.

davideotape
May 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Has to be the challenge of getting the damn thing to work :P That's why I'm always on development releases.

roachk71
May 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Being able to change almost anything to suit my needs.

This is only one of the aspects of (nearly) any Linux distro that make me smile; among others are:

Freedom to choose
Stability
Security

Need more be said? :D

Bölvağur
May 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM
why does it need to be fun o.0

subdivision
May 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Trying to make it work correctly has entertained me for quite a while now.

bakedbeans4life
May 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM

LOL, the Microsoftie has landed. I guess the nearer we get to Windows 7's release date, the more posts like this will appear here.

fatality_uk
May 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM

You might want to consider an upgrade from Dapper (6.04) ;) I don't configure anything these days, download an ISO, burn it, install it, use it :D

RiceMonster
May 27th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'll vote option 11) Making bad polls on UF

pwnst*r
May 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
LOL, the Microsoftie has landed. I guess the nearer we get to Windows 7's release date, the more posts like this will appear here.

not everyone has a smooth or semi-smooth experience with ubuntu or any other OS for that matter. shocking to you, yes, i know.

bakedbeans4life
May 27th, 2009, 08:07 PM
not everyone has a smooth or semi-smooth experience with ubuntu or any other OS for that matter. shocking to you, yes, i know.

You had to respond, simple as that. In fact I knew you would.

jpmelos
May 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
The fun about Linux is to know that you are part of the process, and not just a regular user. Even if you are not a developer, you can translate, suggest new features, support other users, report bugs, and become a developer if you want to learn something about computers.

pwnst*r
May 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM
You had to respond, simple as that. In fact I knew you would.

and it's a valid response.

Bungo Pony
May 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Why hasn't anybody voted for GRUB errors?

bakedbeans4life
May 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM
and it's a valid response.

Indeed. If I had agreed with subdivision, would you have responded at all.

kk0sse54
May 27th, 2009, 08:43 PM
One word: versatility