PDA

View Full Version : Islands in the net

10pChomp
May 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Hi,as a newbie on the forum (and recently new to using Ubuntu) , i was wondering what other users thought of the concept of these forums being islands of free thinking within the internet. I found the term `islands on the net`whilst reading up on the open source movemnet ,it is coined by Manuel Castels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Internet_Galaxy#The_Politics_of_the_Internet_I I:_Privacy_and_Liberty_in_Cyberspace) in `The internet galaxy`.Personally , ifeel more at liberty to discuss my ideas(no matter how harebrained) on-line rather than off-line what about you?:P

swoll1980
May 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
That is what we are... Sorry couldn't help myself.

nothingspecial
May 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
That is what we are...

And we rely on each other a-ha

lisati
May 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
And we rely on each other a-ha

no-one in between......

swoll1980
May 27th, 2009, 01:09 PM
From one lover to another, ah-ah

nothingspecial
May 27th, 2009, 01:14 PM
We can ride it together a-ha

nothingspecial
May 27th, 2009, 01:25 PM
One of by best friends married my wife`s twin sister. Corny I know.

We both have vast music collections 2000+ cds same with LPs, all lined up on shelves in alphabetical order - sad I know but how are you ever going to find anything?

We both pride ourself in taste. We`re different, I have more Jazz - he has more dance but the core is the same.

One day a few years ago he phoned me and said

"Go to R in your cds"

"Ok"

"Have you got Kenny Rogers?"

"Hang on ...... S**t:shock:, I have, have you?"

"Uh-huh"

"What`s going on"

(Together) "GIRLS!:mad:"

Does that count as a corrupted file system?

swoll1980
May 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hey, I love Kenny Rodgers. Nothing wrong with that. He's got some good stuff.

lisati
May 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
One of by best friends married my wife`s twin sister. Corny I know.

We both have vast music collections 2000+ cds same with LPs, all lined up on shelves in alphabetical order - sad I know but how are you ever going to find anything?

We both pride ourself in taste. We`re different, I have more Jazz - he has more dance but the core is the same.

One day a few years ago he phoned me and said

"Go to R in your cds"

"Ok"

"Have you got Kenny Rogers?"

"Hang on ...... S**t:shock:, I have, have you?"

"Uh-huh"

"What`s going on"

(Together) "GIRLS!:mad:"

Does that count as a corrupted file system?
Well.... I had intended to set up a spare room as a computer room, with the bulk of the computer gear set up how I like it. But the lady of the house wasn't happy with the arrangement, since she appreciates a bit of company from time to time. Fair enough. The end result of negotiations was a couple of tables in the corner of the lounge forming a less-than-ideal layout of assorted systems (2xlaptops & 2xdesktops, along with assorted peripheral equipment)

Hi,as a newbie on the forum (and recently new to using Ubuntu) , i was wondering what other users thought of the concept of these forums being islands of free thinking within the internet. I found the term `islands on the net`whilst reading up on the open source movemnet ,it is coined by Manuel Castels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Internet_Galaxy#The_Politics_of_the_Internet_I I:_Privacy_and_Liberty_in_Cyberspace) in `The internet galaxy`.Personally , ifeel more at liberty to discuss my ideas(no matter how harebrained) on-line rather than off-line what about you?:P
I hope you don't mind but I think we've digressed. How's the discussion been so far.

nothingspecial
May 27th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I hope you don't mind but I think we've digressed. How's the discussion been so far.

Yeah. Sorry `bout that.

nothingspecial
May 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Best ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYfO4o-ccBA)

This is quality stuff !