PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about

NTpspE
May 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Hello,
Recently me any my friend, have moved to ubuntu, and are constantly discussing the benefits over windows. (yes, we're obsessed :p )
But i had a though the other day when a windows advert came on.
The tagline was
"Im seven years old and im a pc"
That made me think, your a PC? Personal Computer?
This advert, in my opinion, is claiming that EVERY Personal Computer, runs windows.

Now i think that's completely outrageous that microsoft should be allowed to claim that all Pc's are windows, because in fact, they are not, but by saying they are, people begin to believe that they are!

I was looking around a large computerstore in leeds the other day, and every single computer there had preinstalled windows. And every computer had the "windows logo" key.
This again makes people think that windows is the ONLY operating system around.
Now obviously most people know about Mac's, but why should windows be able to say that all pc's are windows?

I looked around on the windows website, and i cannot find any way of contacting them, as i wanted to ask them this question, but i would also like other people's views on this, because i think that windows should'nt be allowed to say that, and publicise they're operating system, as what a pc is, because a PC is a load of hardware in a box, not a bloody operating system.

Sorry for the incredibly anti-windows talk, but it has got me rather riled up, but again, i'd like to hear other people's opinions.
Thanks

billgoldberg
May 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM
It's just marketing.

Macs are also PCs, big deal.

lisati
May 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I have six machines which can be described as a personal computer: Windows is currently only on one of them, in a dual-boot setup with Ubuntu. The nearest thing to Windows that two of them can run is CP/M - they're Commodore 128s that I haven't used in a while.

.Maleficus.
May 27th, 2009, 11:28 AM
What they're actually saying is that all Windows computers are PCs, which is true, just like all Macs are Macs. You wouldn't call a Mac a PC because it doesn't use PC-compatible hardware. Most people who knew what Linux was would call their Linux computer a PC, because it is PC-compatible hardware running a PC-compatible OS.

As for computers having mostly Windows and having Windows stickers on them, well, you'll have to get used to that. Not much you can do about it right now.

Edit: As for your poll, I voted No, simply because doing that wouldn't be right (but it's also not what they are doing).

lisati
May 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I protest with a grin and a pedantic streak: The term "PC" is ambigous. Is it "Politically inCorrect" to call a MAC a "Personal Computer"??????

suitedaces
May 27th, 2009, 11:37 AM
While I voted no, it is just marketing and perceptions. I don't use a vacuum, I use a hoover (even though it's a cheap one that Hoover corp have nothing to do with), cheap cola drinks I still refer to as Coke. Thought whetehr it should be legal, or false advertising, is another matter.

Screwdriver0815
May 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I looked around on the windows website, and i cannot find any way of contacting them, as i wanted to ask them this question, but i would also like other people's views on this, because i think that windows should'nt be allowed to say that, and publicise they're operating system, as what a pc is, because a PC is a load of hardware in a box, not a bloody operating system.

here you go:

http://www.microsoft.com:80/worldwide/phone/contact.aspx?country=United Kingdom

http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-gb&x=11&y=10

for me it doesn't matter if Microsoft is allowed to call all windows-boxes PC as it is only marketing. The equivalent thing is:

BE LINUX.

darthmob
May 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
those ad campains are just stupid (no matter if they are for mac, windows or linux). it's like saying "I'm a refrigerator". it doesn't make sense and whoever came up with it should be punished. :twisted:

lisati
May 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I think it could get silly: in one place, a MAC isn't a PC, and in another it is, and somewhere else "PC" means something that has nothing to do with computers.
Speaking of Hoovers (or is that "hoovers"? I think of them as "vacuum cleaners", not "vacuums" or "hoovers", does it really matter?) I've heard tell of one family where the Hoover Dam was known as the "Hoover Water Stopper" on account of unfortunate connotations of the word "dam(n)" [citation needed that won't violate the COC's "no religion" recommendation]

fatality_uk
May 27th, 2009, 01:25 PM
those ad campains are just stupid (no matter if they are for mac, windows or linux). it's like saying "I'm a refrigerator". it doesn't make sense and whoever came up with it should be punished. :twisted:

Those adverts are genius. Social engineering at it's best. To make the public associate a "PC" with Windows is superb. It is re-enforcing an already held belief that PC's come with Windows.

With Linux gaining ground in market share, it's strategically a great move by them. People don't buy a PC with OsX on it do they? They buy a Mac.

init1
May 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hello,
Recently me any my friend, have moved to ubuntu, and are constantly discussing the benefits over windows. (yes, we're obsessed :p )
But i had a though the other day when a windows advert came on.
The tagline was
"Im seven years old and im a pc"
That made me think, your a PC? Personal Computer?
This advert, in my opinion, is claiming that EVERY Personal Computer, runs windows.

Now i think that's completely outrageous that microsoft should be allowed to claim that all Pc's are windows, because in fact, they are not, but by saying they are, people begin to believe that they are!

I was looking around a large computerstore in leeds the other day, and every single computer there had preinstalled windows. And every computer had the "windows logo" key.
This again makes people think that windows is the ONLY operating system around.
Now obviously most people know about Mac's, but why should windows be able to say that all pc's are windows?

Sorry for the incredibly anti-windows talk, but it has got me rather riled up, but again, i'd like to hear other people's opinions.
Thanks
Not every PC runs Windows, but 99% do.

roachk71
May 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
The nearest thing to Windows that two of them can run is CP/M - they're Commodore 128s that I haven't used in a while.

I'm waxing nostalgic ... I still have a love for the old 8-bit Commodore machines. If you're interested in modern demos (yes, the 'scene is still alive and kicking,) you might want to check out C64.ch (http://www.c64.ch/). This might give you a reason to pull 'em out of mothballs. :biggrin:

As for the poll, it's a matter of principle and semantics. Although they're merely saying that all Windows machines are PCs, the statement could be (and is being) misinterpreted; I voted No.

piousp
May 27th, 2009, 06:23 PM
What they're actually saying is that all Windows computers are PCs, which is true, just like all Macs are Macs. You wouldn't call a Mac a PC because it doesn't use PC-compatible hardware. Most people who knew what Linux was would call their Linux computer a PC, because it is PC-compatible hardware running a PC-compatible OS

I disagree. Macs, like it or not, are, by definition, Personal Computers.

The Toxic Mite
May 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM
This has given me an idea...

A spoof advert, based on the I am a PC one, but instead it will say "I am Ubuntu".

How about that? ^^

NTpspE
May 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM
This has given me an idea...

A spoof advert, based on the I am a PC one, but instead it will say "I am Ubuntu".

How about that? ^^

There's been ones where Windows and Mac are arguing, and then a woman comes accross and says "Hi, im linux" lol

But PC stands for personal computer, therefore all computer machines, that are personal, mac or not, are PC's