PDA

View Full Version : PCLinuxOS 2009.1 has evolved and how!!! :)

amitabhishek
May 27th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Well I tried this "Radically Simple" OS yesterday and boy did it blew me away :)!!! It gives the word "convenience" a whole new meaning. The Live CD did everything! Right from loading correct nVidia drivers to detecting the Aethros chipset everything was just out of the box...absolutely no manual intervention. Youtube worked like a charm!!!

Kudos to PCLinuxOS team!!!! It doesn't get simpler than this...:p Highly recommended!!!!

gn2
May 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Doesn't have reliable suspend on my laptop, other than that, nice distro.

Hallvor
May 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Yes. Suspend isn`t reliable. I have it installed on a laptop, that has been happily running it for two years without reinstall. Everything is very easy, and you`re productive within minutes. Having the same system installed for a long period of time with rolling release upgrades is also a big plus.

There is also a very underrated Gnome edition.

amitabhishek
May 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM
My Laptop has a mess of proprietary-only components. Mostly nVidia. Starting with connectivity and this distro managed to do everything right from the Live CD. This amazes me!!!

growled
May 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Are they still using KDE 3.5?

amitabhishek
May 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Are they still using KDE 3.5?

Yes!

TheLions
May 27th, 2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.pclinuxos.com/ is down

growled
May 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks amitabhishek. PCLinuxOS has always been cautious about adding new software. Sort of like Debian. I guess that's why both are regarded as so stable.

amitabhishek
May 28th, 2009, 06:06 AM
http://www.pclinuxos.com/ is down

Site is up now.

I applaud them for choosing to go with KDE 3.5 and not rushing to KDE 4.

dspari1
May 28th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Site is up now.

KDE4 has been more or less ready since the 4.2.x series came out. I don't see why people in the Ubuntu community hate it so much.

binbash
May 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Site is up now.

KDE 3.x is DEAD.So it is not a good decision to go with 3.x

amitabhishek
May 28th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Till 4.2 came out, KDE 4 was largely incomplete...I don't despise KDE 4 its just that I have been more into Gnome. To many of us KDE 4.x still remains an unstable product...

HappinessNow
May 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Still Not inclined to use it.

:popcorn:

BigSilly
May 28th, 2009, 09:30 AM
A few months ago I would have agreed with the idea of sticking with KDE3.5, but as KDE4.2 is is pretty complete now, it doesn't seem such a good move. Still, PCLOS is a very nice distro whatever, and it doesn't look rubbish by any stretch of the imagination.

rookcifer
May 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I am a former user of PCLOS (and I even used to package for them). The distro is nice, yes, but I don't care for the way it is managed. The leadership is not the best.

The leader, Texstar, disappeared for over a year and didn't warn anyone he was going away. I heard he had health problems. This may be true, but could he not take 5 minutes out of his day to email some devs and let them know? Suddenly, he pops up a year later just before PCLOS 2009 was getting ready to be released and starts complaining about the way some things were done in the Beta release (he and a couple of other devs on his side) So, this majorly pissed off a lot of volunteers who had been devoting a lot of time to getting the release ready (in absence of Texstar who gave them no instructions of what he wanted, etc.). There were essentially two factions -- Texstar and a few people loyal to him, and then the other side comprised of people who didn't appreciate being berated for trying to run the project the best way they knew how in absence of leadership.

As a result PCLOS had a good portion of its devs and packagers leave the project. I don't blame them. I knew some of these guys and they were really sharp and didn't mind teaching what they knew. After I heard they were ran off, I decided I would never really devote any more time to PCLOS.

But, yes, I will agree that PCLOS is excellent when it comes to hardware detection out of the box. I think it surpasses all distros, including Linux Mint, in this area. Why this is true is a puzzle to me. I assume they have a secret kernel configuration they use? :)

amitabhishek
May 28th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I think you have summarized this very well...hardware detection is still an Achilles Heel' for Linux and this is where PCLOS excels in...it would be interesting to know more on their secret kernel configuration ;)

binbash
May 28th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Till 4.2 came out, KDE 4 was largely incomplete...I don't despise KDE 4 its just that I have been more into Gnome. To many of us KDE 4.x still remains an unstable product...

Incomplete and unstable is two different things.KDE 4.2.x is STABLE enough and it is faster than gnome as everyone knows.

gn2
May 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM
KDE 4.2.x is STABLE enough and it is faster than gnome as everyone knows.

Speed isn't everything.

4.2.x is still KDE, and (IMO) KDE = Yuck.

growled
May 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I am a former user of PCLOS (and I even used to package for them). The distro is nice, yes, but I don't care for the way it is managed. The leadership is not the best.

I had a vast disagreement with the way things are handled over there, long before this split. That wasn't the main reason I moved on, however. I just found out other distros appealed to me more. I'm not much into the old software, stability thing.

rookcifer
May 29th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I had a vast disagreement with the way things are handled over there, long before this split. That wasn't the main reason I moved on, however. I just found out other distros appealed to me more. I'm not much into the old software, stability thing.

It probably had to do with the forums? I hate the way their forums are ran in such a draconian manner. No dissent whatsoever is allowed. If you don't agree with the way the distro is being ran, you are a troll and banned. I've seen it happen numerous times to people who were voicing concerns in a polite manner.

And I hate how they have continued to just forget about 64 bit support, even though it is almost impossible to even buy a 32 bit processor these days. And if you bring this up in the forums, you are shot down as a trouble maker.

growled
May 29th, 2009, 04:34 AM
It probably had to do with the forums?
How did you guess? :D

I think the turning point for me was in a very public discussion between texstar and Adam Williamson, when Adam asked texstar to stop taking Mandriva packages and stripping the change logs from them and then packaging them as PCLOS packages. Texstar acknowledged he had been doing that and agreed to stop. I then realized that wasn't the distro for me.

I feel Linux is a community and that community is very important in what distro I run. That's the main reason I don't use Debian, for example and the main reason I use Ubuntu.

dspari1
May 29th, 2009, 07:21 AM
It seems like every distro has its own soap opera.

gn2
May 29th, 2009, 08:40 AM
~ it is almost impossible to even buy a 32 bit processor these days. ~

That just isn't so.
Every Intel Atom netbook sold is 32-bit only.