PDA

View Full Version : how can i install ubuntu .....

mino54
May 27th, 2009, 03:32 AM
hi all; i have windows xp with one bad partition; how can i install ubuntu on the bad partition so i can have both xp and ubuntu , or it can not be done.
thanks
mino54

rehilliard
May 27th, 2009, 03:34 AM
why not put windows on the bad partition and install ubuntu on the good one?

[sorry...i couldn't resist...] :D

oldos2er
May 27th, 2009, 03:35 AM
What do you mean by a "bad" partition?

Ubuntu can be installed to any existing partition on your system, it also comes with a partition editor that runs on installation, allowing you to create new partitions if you choose.

rehilliard
May 27th, 2009, 03:36 AM
seriously, if the "bad partition" shows up as unformatted in Windows Disk Management (right-click My Computer-->Manage-->Disk Management), then when you install Ubuntu, just tell the installer to use all available freespace and it should find the unformatted partition. Just pay attention to the lower graphic on the disk partitioning screen. it'll show you how much is going to be allocated for ubuntu. Know how big the "bad partition" is going into the installation.

b@sh_n3rd
May 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM
why not put windows on the bad partition and install ubuntu on the good one?

[sorry...i couldn't resist...] :D

:lolflag: good one...and good idea..winblows does crash anyway, bad partition or not...:D

mino54
May 28th, 2009, 04:11 AM
hi, i will install ubuntu tomorrow, will let you know how it went.
by the way, i am not computer literate, but i think i figure out how it works mechanically, i will work on software soon.
thank you
mino54 from san diego california. .420.