PDA

View Full Version : Vistar7

sandyd
May 27th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Do you think this will encourage more users to come to linux (if a livecd of this was created)

and is there any way of making this my default look instead of having to use the new account?

could someone set up a permanent direct link to the file? 40-50 kb isn't all that fast...

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/V...?content=104232

Deamos
May 27th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Do you think this will encourage more users to come to linux (if a livecd of this was created)

and is there any way of making this my default look instead of having to use the new account?

could someone set up a permanent direct link to the file? 40-50 kb isn't all that fast...

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/V...?content=104232

I don't know if this will encourage more users, however that looks pretty bloody good.

hanzomon4
May 27th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Well it's just a theme and some settings so I guess you could just copy all the settings are rename the Vistar account. But to answer you question.. No, Linux is not windows and having a look a like would just confuse people when it doesn't behave like Windows.

Sublime Porte
May 27th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Why would Windows users want something that looks like Windows, smells like Windows, sounds like Windows, but can't run Windows apps? That would be believing the nonsense that people use Windows merely because of the 'familiar interface'.

It seems to have features people often change (ie. the look and feel) in Windows anyway, yet not the one feature almost all users stay addicted to Windows for, the applications written for it.

monsterstack
May 27th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Why would Windows users want something that looks like Windows, smells like Windows, sounds like Windows, but can't run Windows apps? That would be believing the nonsense that people use Windows merely because of the 'familiar interface'.

It seems to have features people often change (ie. the look and feel) in Windows anyway, yet not the one feature almost all users stay addicted to Windows for, the applications written for it.

I find it weird too. If you want Windows, install Windows. It's not as if Windows users try to make XP or Vista look more like Ubuntu WAIT WHAT (http://techpp.com/2009/02/13/ultimate-collection-ubuntu-themes-visual-styles-for-windows-xp-vista/)? [techpp.com]. All we can learn from this is some people just don't know what they want.

mamamia88
May 27th, 2009, 04:15 AM
i'm gonna say no but if you created that them way to go sir looks brilliant

pwnst*r
May 27th, 2009, 04:19 AM
that's a great looking theme, but only for someone that just uses linux and/or XP. definitely not for a new user as others have mentioned.

monsterstack
May 27th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Oh right, yeah, to answer your original query, you might be able to do it by tinkering with the install.sh file. I can't get bittorrent where I am so I can't look at it for you. Perhaps you should attach that file to one of your posts so we can see what needs to be changed.

sandyd
May 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
heres install.sh

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Well it looks to me that the only bit in the install.sh file that needs to be changed is this bit:

echo "Creating user."
useradd -m $NEWUSERNAME -s /bin/bash && \
echo "User created. Enter password for new user."
passwd $NEWUSERNAME

Which needs to be commented out. And then this bit:

NEWUSERNAME="vistar7"

Which you should change to your current username. Just to be on the safe side, create a new user manually and test it out there in case I've missed something from the script that could ruin your computer!

Dark Aspect
May 28th, 2009, 01:16 AM

Well considering that most programs have a Linux equivalent and Linux is free, doesn't that mean that most people do in fact use windows for the familiar interface?

Linux software equivalent to Windows Software (http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software)

Paqman
May 28th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Not wanting to be a party pooper, but those icons look awfully like the ones in Windows. I hope you haven't ripped off any copyright material to make this theme.

DeadSuperHero
May 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I personally like the idea.

Oh gosh...this could be the basis for the next "Mojave" project, they'll just put a theme on a Linux distribution with almost no actual apps.

"Guys, look how fast it is! Goodness!"

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I personally like the idea.

Oh gosh...this could be the basis for the next "Mojave" project, they'll just put a theme on a Linux distribution with almost no actual apps.

"Guys, look how fast it is! Goodness!"

Yeah. They could call it Longhorn.

sandyd
May 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Well it looks to me that the only bit in the install.sh file that needs to be changed is this bit:

echo "Creating user."
passwd $NEWUSERNAME

NEWUSERNAME="vistar7"

Which you should change to your current username. Just to be on the safe side, create a new user manually and test it out there in case I've missed something from the script that could ruin your computer!

Thanks!

SomeGuyDude
May 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I find it hilarious that there's all this anger against Vista-clone themes, but "Mac4Lin" is a well-supported project that no one around here complains about.

Dark Aspect
May 29th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I find it hilarious that there's all this anger against Vista-clone themes, but "Mac4Lin" is a well-supported project that no one around here complains about.

Maybe its because Vista sucks more than Mac OSX, which I think pretty low of both operating systems really.

monsterstack
May 29th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks!

No problem. Just consider yourself lucky it wasn't too complicated for me.

DeadSuperHero
May 29th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Maybe its because Vista sucks more than Mac OSX, which I think pretty low of both operating systems really.
I think the real tragedy here is the lack of high-quality original themes. There's only a small handful compared to the plethora of Aero, Luna, and Aqua clones. I understand that theming can be difficult and take lots of practice, but there really ought to be more of a rallying for original themes that adhere to either Oxygen standards, Tango guidelines, or something completely different altogether.

Delever
May 29th, 2009, 01:27 AM
It's not as if Windows users try to make XP or Vista look more like Ubuntu WAIT WHAT (http://techpp.com/2009/02/13/ultimate-collection-ubuntu-themes-visual-styles-for-windows-xp-vista/)?

This is just brilliant :)

jjpcexpert
March 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Could I run it on the OCT 2009 system (waiting for APR 2010 system :) ) or do I have to use the APR 2009 system?

swoll1980
March 2nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
I think it creates a false sense of security. If it looks like Winders, people will expect it to act like Winders.

DubyBreaks
March 2nd, 2010, 11:14 PM
I think it creates a false sense of security. If it looks like Winders, people will expect it to act like Winders.

wouldn't that be a false sense of insecurity? :lolflag:

MuTz777
July 8th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Use WineHQ, it allows you to run windows applications in ubuntu!
Or if you have the money, you can purchase CrossOver the commercial, bug-free version of WineHQ...:)

Legendary_Bibo
July 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Use WineHQ, it allows you to run windows applications in ubuntu!
Or if you have the money, you can purchase CrossOver the commercial, bug-free version of WineHQ...:)
...which also works just as well

fatality_uk
July 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM

This!

Lucradia
July 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM

echo "Creating user."
passwd $NEWUSERNAME

NEWUSERNAME="vistar7"

Too bad "new users" would never do that.

Frogs Hair
July 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure why someone would create a theme like this for Linux . When I want or need to use Windows I just boot it . Of all the possible things that can be done with the Linux theme this is not an option for me.

cascade9
July 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM
That theme is just u-g-l-y IMO.

Mac4Lin is u-g-l-y as well. Feel better now? :)

(BTW, that coming from someone who used a fairly 'mac-ish' brushed metal theme on winXP for years)

BrokenKingpin
July 8th, 2010, 08:56 PM
The last thing I want on a Linux box is something that reminds me of Windows. I came to Linux because I hated Windows.