PDA

View Full Version : Cooling AMD Phenom X4

diaa
May 27th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I recently replaced my Intel E6550(DualCore 2.33 GHz 1333 FSB and 4MB of cache) with an AMD Phenom X4 9850BE(QuadCore 2.5 GHz and 4MB of cache), I got a nice performance boost from the 2 extra cores, the bad part however is that the PC used to be so quiet that I didn't know whether it's on or off(and moreover it was Winter), now it's loud and I can't even keep it within safe temperature range(and it's not even mid-summer yet).
I'm using stock cooler with stock thermal paste, I added two fans to improve my case air-flow, one at the back of my case blowing out hot air just below the PSU fan blowing hot air as well and another at the front blowing in cool air.
Room temperature is currently around 30 C and I expect it to go 5 degrees more in mid-summer, processor is 50 C idle and 66 C 100% loaded.

Just in case you are wondering, I read those temps from Windows as lm-sensors can't read K10 temperature yet :(

I'd like to know whether any of you has success stories with similar processor and room temperature, preferrably using relatively cheap equipment, I don't think it makes sense to pay $50 for cooling a $150 processor.

Skripka
May 27th, 2009, 02:34 AM
65+C is quite bad. The 125W Phenom chips have a critical temp right there.

Firstly

DITCH the stock thermal paste--it is trash. Buy a syringe of Arctic Silver 5 from NewEgg, one syringe (enough for 20+ CPU mounts) is only 10-15USD. You'll need to unmount the HSF, wipe the CPU heat plate, and teh HSF interface wclean with a rag and some isopropyl alcohol, apply as per Arctic Silver instructions.

Secondly

The stock cooler can do the job, but there are lots of coolers that do a better job for 60USD from NewEgg. I like the Zalman line myself-I use a Zalman 9500 on my box. I've never seen my CPUs go higher than 44c at full sustained load in a 22C environment (both my 95W Phenom II as well as the 125W Athlon 6400 I used in this tower prior)..

diaa
May 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
65+C is quite bad. The 125W Phenom chips have a critical temp right there.

Firstly

DITCH the stock thermal paste--it is trash. Buy a syringe of Arctic Silver 5 from NewEgg, one syringe (enough for 20+ CPU mounts) is only 10-15USD. You'll need to unmount the HSF, wipe the CPU heat plate, and teh HSF interface wclean with a rag and some isopropyl alcohol, apply as per Arctic Silver instructions.

Secondly

The stock cooler can do the job, but there are lots of coolers that do a better job for 60USD from NewEgg. I like the Zalman line myself-I use a Zalman 9500 on my box. I've never seen my CPUs go higher than 44c at full sustained load in a 22C environment (both my 95W Phenom II as well as the 125W Athlon 6400 I used in this tower prior)..

Thanks for the info, I got an AS5 and it reduced my temps below 65C, 100% load temp dropped to 60-61 C, it should be even lower after the AS5 breaks-in.

I will consider getting a good CPU cooler as I'd like to do some OCing.

are the temps you mentioned for your CPU refer to the overclocked state or non-overclocked?

Thanks again