PDA

View Full Version : lol i almost got attacked

hp owner
May 26th, 2009, 09:36 PM
ok, so i was searching for parts on my truck, and i found an attack site on accident and i clicked on it thinking it was for parts and got this, my question is who would fall for this??

ghindo
May 26th, 2009, 09:39 PM
who would fall for this??A LOT of people.

Eviltechie
May 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hey, it's that site, my mom ran across that the other day. Fortunately she got me before she did any harm.

billgoldberg
May 26th, 2009, 09:45 PM
my question is who would fall for this??

My mother.

Keithhed
May 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
seen similar things... regrettably these things do exist :(

LowSky
May 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
My dad and sister fell for this.... I bet many people do.

But when you use linux and it hapens its just something to laugh at.

LinuxGuy1234
May 26th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Yup, many can fall for that.

I found one instance of this on a WinXP computer. Got out of it quick...

albinootje
May 26th, 2009, 09:58 PM
i found an attack site on accident

Use the NoScript and WOT addons in Firefox, and be happy :)

aeiah
May 26th, 2009, 10:03 PM
my mother would probably fall for it too, and they use winxp with the classic grey theme. she'd probably just close it though and then tell my dad that something keeps popping up, telling her the pc is infected.

ps: what the hell is with your pink tabs? :o

Warpnow
May 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Off-topic, but...how did you make your panel look like that?

hanzomon4
May 26th, 2009, 10:10 PM
ok, so i was searching for parts on my truck, and i found an attack site on accident and i clicked on it thinking it was for parts and got this, my question is who would fall for this??

Moms

Not sure about dads... hehe, this is the 21st century

Neheb
May 26th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah probably a lot of people.

Almost fell for the popup that pretends to be an MSN message popup, despite running ubuntu, pidgin and having turned off all popups from pidgin.

lovinglinux
May 27th, 2009, 01:15 AM
A lot of people would fall for this. I remember a hoax that circulated by e-mail a couple of years ago (probably still do), about a new terrible virus, which recommended the user to delete some files in the system32 folder or something like that. The files deleted were actually important Windows system files, causing it to malfunction or not function at all after the recommended deletion. A lot of people deleted those files, trusting just a simple text e-mail.

dragos240
May 27th, 2009, 01:17 AM

I posted a topic on this a while ago. Pretty silly when you use ubuntu, I bet all of those xp users will fall for this, and I'll be on my arch, LAUGHING!

init1
May 27th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Yeah, one of those sites tried to tell me I had infected exe's on my iPod Touch :D

monsterstack
May 27th, 2009, 01:25 AM
A lot of people would fall for this. I remember a hoax that circulated by e-mail a couple of years ago (probably still do), about a new terrible virus, which recommended the user to delete some files in the system32 folder or something like that. The files deleted were actually important Windows system files, causing it to malfunction or not function at all after the recommended deletion. A lot of people deleted those files, trusting just a simple text e-mail.

"Delete System32" is still the most common retort to people having problems with Windows on 4chan. I've seen it posted all over the internet. I know I shouldn't laugh, but it is hilarious to think that some people actually go ahead and do that. Then again, posts tempting you to "sudo rm -rf /*" or one of its variants are common, too. We are swimming in a sea of idiocy.

hanzomon4
May 27th, 2009, 02:40 AM
it's hilarious when you're not on Windows... note: It's sad that even the scammers are skipping Vista

x33a
May 27th, 2009, 04:36 AM
They don't even have an option to buy the antivirus :D

and when you click on company, you get

monsterstack
May 27th, 2009, 04:49 AM
What always interests me about shady software download sites is that they always display some sort of boxed package:

http://anti-spyware-scan-v1.com/img/bg-software-spotlight.jpg

When they clearly have no boxes to offer. When I used Windows years ago, finding one of those damn boxes was infuriating: it always means you have to pay for something.

Still I had a look at the source code to the page. It's pretty poor. Apart from the redirect to a dodgy executable, there's not a single other exploit there. Weak, man.

gymophett
May 27th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I think a ton of people using XP would!
What is your theme btw? My friend just switched from Vista and needs to get used to the Ubuntu feel, this would be perfect for her.. :)

collinp
May 27th, 2009, 04:57 AM
who would fall for this??

More than half of the people that use computers.

unoodles
May 27th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Will Personal Antivirus run on DOS, Windows 3.11, Macintosh, Linux?

No.

No Linux edition yet! :D

(if you go to the site, and click on the "help" tab.)

gymophett
May 27th, 2009, 05:10 AM
No Linux edition yet! :D

(if you go to the site, and click on the "help" tab.)

AVG? Avast?

monsterstack
May 27th, 2009, 05:21 AM
AVG? Avast?

Pah. Those apps are hardly suited to enterprise business solutions and power users. When are you OSS fanboys going to realise that Linix will never be ready for prime time so long as it remains a hobbyist OS? Real users need professional tools like Personal Antivirus. Go back to your toy OS, the big boys have got some real computing to do. (http://remove-malware.net/how-to-remove-anti-spyware-scan-v1com-hijacker/) [remove-malware.net]

penguindrive
May 27th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Pah. Those apps are hardly suited to enterprise business solutions and power users. When are you OSS fanboys going to realise that Linix will never be ready for prime time so long as it remains a hobbyist OS? Real users need professional tools like Personal Antivirus. Go back to your toy OS, the big boys have got some real computing to do. (http://remove-malware.net/how-to-remove-anti-spyware-scan-v1com-hijacker/) [remove-malware.net]

Where does it say that?

Giant Speck
May 27th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Heh. Remove-Malware.net gets red-flagged by WOT.

And to the OP, I imagine a lot of people would fall for it. However, I'm sure that out of everyone that sees that popup, the people that would fall for it would be a minority. Maybe not a small minority, but a minority nonetheless.

lisati
May 27th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I've seen similar popups before.

I had a hard time explaining to my neighbour that many of the emails claiming to be from Freelotto are scams (how can you win a lottery that you haven't bought a ticket for?) and that it also might be a good idea to be careful of emails claiming to be some foreign woman looking for love.

Tux Aubrey
May 27th, 2009, 08:47 AM
"....it also might be a good idea to be careful of emails claiming to be some foreign woman looking for love."

OMG! But what about those hot Russian chicks who attach their photos? They are OK, aren't they? (please!)

I'm still feeling a bit gypped by the daughter of a dead Nigerian banker who said I could have 40% of US$35Million if I let her use my bank account details. She was lying! $12 Million is only 34.28% of $35 Million and she will not cough up the remaining $2 Million. I feel like such a fool!

rob2uk
May 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Now, I'm *deliberately* trying to get my XP VM infected but NOTHING works!

It's a straight install - no updates, service packs, AV - NOTHING - and it's still sitting there clean as a whistle

armageddon08
May 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM
My dad fell for something like this too. It was something by the name of antivirus 2008.

tacantara
May 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I had a co-worker fall for that Antivirus 2008 thing while, ironically, searching for a free virus protection program for his XP-based computer. He downloaded the darn thing, then found out that his web browser was locked up and he kept getting "virus" messages, with an advisory to purchase the virus protection. He brought his computer to work, and asked me to fix it. I was able to remove the program, and install AVG for him.

And he asks me why I switched to Linux.....

Tridon
May 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM
It's queer that some people fall for such stuff.. But it leads to conversation anyway, so who cares ? ;)

hp owner
June 22nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
ps: what the hell is with your pink tabs? :o

its the IE theme im running on fire fox, it keeps you organized when you click a link that opens a new tab

hp owner
June 22nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Off-topic, but...how did you make your panel look like that?

its just a panel image i downloaded, and the gnome menu

hp owner
June 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
What is your theme btw? My friend just switched from Vista and needs to get used to the Ubuntu feel, this would be perfect for her.. :)

its the gnome menu with a vista panel theme, and then some emerald theme, idk what it is

hp owner
June 22nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
i didn't relize so many people would fall for this, i know a few of my friends might

Generic_Guy
June 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
The site apparently doesn't exist anymore. And I was ready for a good laugh. D:

Eisenwinter
June 22nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
That site has been mentioned like 10 times here, in different threads.

starcannon
June 22nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
Every one of my clients.
I've had to remove malware av crap, even after showing them what it is, and explaining why they should not allow it to do anything. /shrug, more money for me I guess.

sim-value
June 22nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
My dad ...

Took me a whole minute to get him to close this website ... he was confused by the "if you close this you wont be able to download antivir" because he wanted an antivirus programm ..

But then again he switched from Firefox to IE because "its more popular"

JordyD
June 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I posted a topic on this a while ago. Pretty silly when you use ubuntu, I bet all of those xp users will fall for this, and I'll be on my arch, LAUGHING!

When I used XP I didn't fall for these.

steveneddy
June 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM

So you were on Windows or Linux when this happened?

Giant Speck
June 22nd, 2009, 10:51 PM
So you were on Windows or Linux when this happened?

They provided a screenshot that should help answer that question for you.

Bölvağur
June 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
I know people that would but no one in my close family

konnorrigby
June 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
lol. i have ubuntu and i looked at this sight the other day and started busting upp. i ges im just a geek.:D

hyperdude111
June 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
This is personal antivirus, my cousin fell for this and installed the program and believed it until I explained and had to remove it.

JordyD
June 23rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
They provided a screenshot that should help answer that question for you.

Sad part is that it looks like it might fit.