PDA

View Full Version : Canonical developers aim to make Android apps run on Ubuntu

kernelhaxor
May 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Interesting news:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/05/canonical-developers-aim-to-make-android-apps-run-on-ubuntu.ars

Short summary:
Canonical is building an Android execution environment that will make it possible for Android applications to run on Ubuntu and potentially other conventional Linux distributions. The effort will open the door for bringing Android's growing ecosystem of third-party software to the desktop.

ibuclaw
May 26th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Wow, that is awesome.

Looks like their biggest step in development yet...

Gucko
May 26th, 2009, 09:18 PM
GREAT!!! I'm waiting to get a SE Android device. I can't resist the temptation of having an iPhone-like device, so I'm going to buy an iPod touch and wait until SE produce a decent Android device.

hyperdude111
May 26th, 2009, 09:21 PM
WOW, I hope this is ready in time for karamic. This looks like an interesting development stage when it seemed all knew ideas had dried up.

Sashin
May 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
This feature is an awesome idea, makes me want an android phone even more.

hanzomon4
May 27th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I don't know what use it could have... I mean even iPhone apps would seem out of place on a desktop.

Vostrocity
May 27th, 2009, 02:51 AM
This is awesome actually. I'm sure the Android Market will eventually have more apps than all the scattered Linux packages and tarballs around the webs. I just hope Android developers are nice enough to let them scale to proper screen size.

jrusso2
May 27th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I don't know what use it could have... I mean even iPhone apps would seem out of place on a desktop.

I feel the same way. What apps does android have? It should be run Ubuntu apps on Android that would be useful.

Polygon
May 27th, 2009, 05:20 AM
why would we want to run android apps on our desktop? they are made for a CELL PHONE, so having stuff like apps to help you find your parked car, a gps, camera application, etc just seems useless =/

Warpnow
May 27th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Yeah. I, too, fail to see the usefulness of this.

pwnst*r
May 27th, 2009, 05:44 AM
i think it'd be more useful on a netbook, say with the moblin OS.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 27th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Or with an MID running an Ubuntu-based distro for some reason, like Mer on my N810 ;)

hanzomon4
May 27th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I agree but in that case I say work to make Android/Linux better on that platform. According the article Android is not a linux distro as in the typical GNU userland and I don't think they try to make it be. I don't I guess I'm not sure what Android is exactly...

passonno
June 18th, 2009, 03:48 PM
why would we want to run android apps on our desktop? they are made for a CELL PHONE, so having stuff like apps to help you find your parked car, a gps, camera application, etc just seems useless =/

Because..................

EliasKesh
September 4th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I've been reading multiple places about the ability to run Android apps on linux without emulator (or at least not the obvious emulator with the android desktop ) . Any idea where this is ? Is there a development version available ? I am running Karmic and would love to try this out.

Thanks

Sergeant Streetwise
September 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM
If I buy an Ubuntu PC/laptop that's what I expect to be in the box, not a bloody mobile phone. :confused:

earthpigg
September 4th, 2009, 02:09 AM
the very first screen shot at the website linked in the origional posts answers "why":

Android applications running on the Ubuntu Netbook Remix

many apps are awkward when run on my netbook's limited screen resolution.

if i run android apps, my display will feel more than adequate.