PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mathematica Plot3D doesn't work in ubuntu 9.04

andres.ordonez
May 26th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hi, I have an AcerAspire 5735-4950 and after upgrading to 9.04 from 8.10 Plot3D doesn't display the plot. The plot is displayed only when rotating it.

(I'm taking the multivariable calculus course and this is the most important feature for me right now).

Please help.

Mark Phelps
May 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
This is why LiveCDs are made available -- to try out a new release BEFORE upgrading your machine.

And, don't ask about rollback to 8.10 because there's no simple solution.

Your best recourse, unless someone jumps in with a ready answer, would be to contact the folks you bought this from and see what they suggest.

dmonkey
May 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Try to use the UXA feature of the new graphics drivers in Ubuntu. To do this, edit the xorg.conf (normally located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf) in the "Device" section:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

This works for me. And yes, things can seem like a bad idea in hindsight, but I think lecturing is also not very useful...

andres.ordonez
June 16th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks dmonkey! that worked

ythaaa
July 8th, 2009, 04:59 AM
hi,

the solution works for me. in kubuntu 9.04. however after i change the accelmethod, my graphics very slow. changing desktop becomes slow. changing back to previous setting then everything is fine. my setting is

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
EndSection

i also tried the solution in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=610872 it also works, but putting the option -mesa -defaulvisual will cause me a problem. that is, when i rotate the plot, it takes quite some time to regenerate a new plot. without the option, rotating the image is fine and fast for me.

will appreciate any help from anyone.... thank you in advance...