PDA

View Full Version : Can I make my legally bought music available to the public?

kellemes
May 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm working on my personal blog that will be available to the general public. I want to occasionally post music I'm currently listening to.
Instead of offering the audiofile for download I will use an embedded mediaplayer (flowplayer) to have people listen to this music.
I understand there are tools available for folks to download the music anyway but this is not my intent.

Well.. can I legally do this? Or can I expect trouble?

And another thing, most albums I buy are boxed, so I need to rip to get them on my harddrive, I *have* to do this because I stream my music through my home-server to my audio-system.
Is this ripping of albums for personal use legal at all?

Not sure if it's relevant but I'm working from The Netherlands.

Kareeser
May 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
It most definitely is relevent, as the laws regarding this vary from country to country. Your best bet would be contacting a lawyer (or a law student?) to find out for sure.

Better to be safe than sorry, though, and leave them off.

whoop
May 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I don't think that's technically legal... Even if people don't know how to download (you actually can download an audio stream).
Do you know it's actually not even legal to have a radio playing in your own store (while customers are present) in The Netherlands without paying money? It's ridiculous.

monsterstack
May 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Ripping your own CDs is not illegal. They're yours, remember. I don't think any countries specifically outlaw doing this, but I might be wrong. In any event, exercise your right to do what you want with your own stuff.

As far as streaming music goes, perhaps you could try mpd?

kellemes
May 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Do you know it's actually not even legal to have a radio playing in your own store (while customers are present) in The Netherlands without paying money? It's ridiculous.

Well, a store is trying to make money, they play music to create an atmosphere in which people are more willing to hang around and buy stuff.
I think it's reasonable for artists to get a little peace of the pie.

But I'm not aiming for personal gain, it's a personal blog.

KiwiNZ
May 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Check the laws in the Netherlands.

We do not support the use of illegal practices on this forum. I am closing this thread