PDA

View Full Version : how do you access your mail box?

garba
May 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM
just curious about this: I no longer use email clients since web mail interfaces nowadays offer funcionality which couldn't be accessed through traditional mail clients and, most of all, because I am sick of odd imap behaviour (Evolution is great in this respect: duplicated folders, empty ones, you name it)... what about you?

gn2
May 26th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Used to be webmail only, but the supplier closed down, so now I have my own url and use pop3.

Idaho Dan
May 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I have been using Evolution for about a month now and I really like it.

aeiah
May 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
i prefer webmail since i can access it from anywhere and know its fairly safe. aquiring the username and password of a users pop3 account is pretty easy when you're on the same network as them, like if you're using free wireless access or whatnot. a lot arent encrypted

hatten
May 26th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I will set up mutt when i feel for it...someday...
For now web interface.

sydbat
May 26th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I open my front door and look inside...wait...you meant something else...never mind...:p

Seq
May 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Evolution at the moment. Mutt (with sidebar) is handy to have on my server just in case. I use offlineimap to do two-way sync with my imap provider (google apps). This allows me to try out other mail clients -- as long as they support maildir.

So far pretty much all email programs suck, just slightly less than webmail. Thunderbird 3 looks interesting, though. I may try it out, but it doesn't support maildir... :(

maflynn
May 26th, 2009, 08:04 PM
There's not an option for both.

While at work, I'll access my emails through the web client but when I get back home, I'll fire up the mail client on my computer. Since its IMAP, the messages stay on the server. To be honest, this is how most of my friends/family/acquaintances work as well.

xpod
May 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I generally just use the web for Email although i do have Thunderbird around for basic newsgroup access.

monsterstack
May 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I use pop3. I never really understood the benefits of imap, though. I use Thunderbird. I keep it open all day long. Logging into gmail via the web interface is just a little slow, really, although Ubqiuity makes it a little faster.

lisati
May 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Poll question: POP3
Question in thread title: on foot (my mailbox/letterbox is at the end of a path)

EDIT: I don't currently use IMAP. POP was what I figured out first, and stuck with it

Seq
May 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I use pop3. I never really understood the benefits of imap, though. I use Thunderbird. I keep it open all day long. Logging into gmail via the web interface is just a little slow, really, although Ubqiuity makes it a little faster.

IMAP is useful when you use multiple computers. It keeps your mail centralized and in-sync. Also, you can relax your workstation backup policy -- at least in regards to mail.

sim-value
May 26th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I miss the both option ...

zenithdave
May 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Thunderbird on windows Evolution on Ubuntu. Wish there was a way to merge them!

Name change
May 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM
KMail FTW! :D
I started using it because Konqueror isn't supported on GMail, but I'm starting to like it a lot!

ctrlmd
May 26th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolution

dragos240
May 26th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolution. Simple, it works, and VERY fast.

Maheriano
May 26th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I get my email on my Blackberry. I haven't looked at an email on a computer in over 3 years.

Warpnow
May 26th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'm very surprised so many people use clients.

I personally <3 the gmail interface. Its the reason I use gmail.

aeiah
May 26th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I'm very surprised so many people use clients.

I personally <3 the gmail interface. Its the reason I use gmail.

same here, but then i can see the value in using an email client in a work environment. i have more than one work email address, and i also have attachments, and usually the idiot at the other end has decided to send me 25 pdf documents instead of one zip file. in an email client its just a matter of selecting all and dragging. attaching by dragging is also useful. my personal email is really just newsletters and about 2 personal emails per day so a web based interface is ideal.

Mehall
May 26th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I have two gmail addresses I get a lot of emails on.
(Okay, one is google for domains managed, but still Gmail interface)
I also have my uni ones, and a hotmail address. (deprecated, mostly)

I use IMAP on all except hotmail, because hotmail doesn't let you use IMAP. =[

I use thunderbird most of the time. I have portable Thunderbird, but don't access hotmail via pop3 unless I trust the network for reasons hilighted previously.

2manydjs
May 26th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I use IMAP on my main computer (at least 3 addresses..) and my phone (1 address). On my little Acer Aspire I use gmail.com for my main address. Everything is nicely synced!

pwnst*r
May 27th, 2009, 12:23 AM
desktops/laptops/netbook @ home = webmail

iphone on the go = pop and imap

work = all of the above

init1
May 27th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Last time I tried a client, it deleted all of my emails from the server. Apparently, some would consider this a "feature".

LookTJ
May 27th, 2009, 01:16 AM
The use of IMAP through Thunderbrid.

LookTJ
May 27th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Last time I tried a client, it deleted all of my emails from the server. Apparently, some would consider this a "feature".
Sounds like you setup the client to do that, or you were using POP3.

:( Sorry.

monsterstack
May 27th, 2009, 01:51 AM
IMAP is useful when you use multiple computers. It keeps your mail centralized and in-sync. Also, you can relax your workstation backup policy -- at least in regards to mail.

Ah. Well that makes sense. In that case, I might just consider switching.

khelben1979
May 27th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Gmail works excellent for my needs.

Ms_Angel_D
May 27th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I prefer imap though for a few accounts where there is no imap feature I use POP3.

Evolution is my client of choice, I love the way it's integrated with gnome. But almost all of my accounts I just forward to My GMAIL then Imap from there.

don_quixote
May 27th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Gmail through the web.

Einsamkeit
May 27th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I use both a mail client & a webclient: a web client for Hotmail since Pidgin conveniently links to your inbox and a mail client (Evolution) for my "official" email address, because my ISP's webclient often bugs off when you try to use it.

Xbehave
May 27th, 2009, 03:47 AM
kmail runs in the background all day, cached-imap means i get the advantages of IMAP while befitting from having my emails available offline/instantly! :D

tacantara
May 27th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Evolution for everything except my Yahoo mail. With limited bandwidth at my current location, having a mail client makes it easier to gather up mail from the three other web-based mail services I have.

pbpersson
May 27th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Thunderbird

Vostrocity
May 27th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Gmail ftw! :D

gn2
May 27th, 2009, 09:23 AM

You can usually change that behaviour by specifying in the preferences to leave a copy on the server.

coolbrook
November 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
No point in making a new thread...unless things have changed... maybe we will.

BUMP

dragos240
November 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
For gmail. I use pop3. And for linuxmail. I use the webclient.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 22nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
IMAP + Thunderbird

Psumi
November 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
web mail through gmail.