PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can you install new program without a connection?

Z.N. Singer
May 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I am looking to get a new desktop and would like it to run on Ubuntu. Problem - my house has no wireless and there is no port in my room. Before I tried Linux I never thought that would be a problem, I'd just use my laptop to get whatever installer packages I wanted. Now I do want Ubuntu, but will I even be able to install anything new on it if it has no Internet connection? Are you able to download installer packages for Linux the way you do windows, in a simple file that you then put on a usb, then on another machine, and run? I need to know.

And I mean simple. If your solution involves lots of command line stuff and terminals and such, just tell me 'no.' Or tell me nothing. I spent this long waiting to try linux because I can't stand working with code and refused to consider an OS that would force me too. If it cannot be done largely by GUI, I don't want to hear about it. (excuse me if I seem overly vehement, but it's bad enough every time I google how to do something to discard the first five solutions because I can't follow them. If I got that for my own request, it would be too much)

zubin71
May 26th, 2009, 07:09 PM
there ARE ways to do it by GUI but maybe ull have to use code a few times too... and trust me its not that bad using code once in a while wen ur bored! ;-)
try to get files with the extention *.deb. thats the installation file which i feel the easiest to use using GUI.
but then again; you may have unresolved dependencies while installation. i.e. to install a particular deb file you may need other deb files to be already installed.

kellemes
May 26th, 2009, 08:41 PM
If your solution involves lots of command line stuff and terminals and such, just tell me 'no.'

no

robert shearer
May 26th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Do you mean you can get packages at a remote location ,on your laptop, and then transfer them to your desktop??

If so then check this application (gui last time I looked;))

http://keryxproject.org/

and a tutorial here..

http://crashsystems.net/2009/01/keryx-tutorial/

EDIT...
Are you able to download installer packages for Linux the way you do windows, in a simple file that you then put on a usb, then on another machine, and run? I need to know.

Yes, Keryx as above