PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my co-workers to switch to Ubuntu?

powel212
May 26th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I administer all of the computers at work. About 25 machines. All of the machines have dual boot windows - Ubuntu with Windows as the default.

So far I have only gotten one of the 30 employees to even try it.

How do I get my co-workers to switch to Ubuntu?

Keep in mind that part of my monthly bonus comes from employee satisfaction reviews with regard to them using the computers. So I can't just delete windows, as much as i'd like to.

Powel

kellemes
May 26th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Leave it.
I believe you shouldn't try to convert people. If Windows works for them, that's fine.

philinux
May 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I administer all of the computers at work. About 25 machines. All of the machines have dual boot windows - Ubuntu with Windows as the default.

So far I have only gotten one of the 30 employees to even try it.

Keep in mind that part of my monthly bonus comes from employee satisfaction reviews with regard to them using the computers. So I can't just delete windows, as much as i'd like to.

Powel

Depends. What do they use the pc's for?

zika
leave it.
I believe you shouldn't try to convert people. If windows works for them, that's fine.
+1

Tibuda
Don't force them, just use ubuntu and let them see it. Some will ask about it, and then help them with the switch.

leonardo_neo
May 26th, 2009, 03:44 PM
The best way is not to solicit them for using Ubuntu.

You see, the performance should speak for itself. Ubuntu is actually way better than Windows in many ways. Let them first 'see' Ubuntu on other's computers, and then probably they will will 'try' in on their own. That is the best way to make Ubuntu popular. The more you solicit, then more they think if something is wrong with Ubuntu and they form an opinion as if Ubuntu is somewhat inferior, that is why this person is asking so much.

Celauran
May 26th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Leave it.
I believe you shouldn't try to convert people. If Windows works for them, that's fine.

Good advice.

carml
May 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
You can achieve your aim showing them the differences between Windows and Ubuntu (I assume you installed Ubuntu,but the reasoning fits all the distributions) e.g. : non need of anti-spiware;no need of antivirus; more personalization of the system with respect to the needs and the preferences of the user ...
All we can go on listing the differences :),just let try it,but as suggested before don't try to convert them forcedly, at the moment doesn't exist "the perfect OS".
I suggest you to let them know that doesn't exist only Windows and let them try if they want and have patience to learn. :)

Paqman
May 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
It's not about the OS. You're in a work environment, so productivity is first and foremost. That's most determined by the apps.

If you really want people to use Ubuntu install really, really good apps in it.

LoloftheRings
May 26th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Well.. try to show them some features and talk like a real enthusiast about it. Keep in mind that Linux is about choices, lets them do this too. Whatever you do, don't force them.

Things you could show:
-performance
-integration of 3th party applications
-stability
-flexibility (make your ubuntu look like windows and stun them when you say it's linux)

Another application you should show: wine. This is crucial because people coming from Windows often want a few programs they are used to. They will find alternatives in time.

adzik
May 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Better yet, let Windows do what it does best over time: slow down, degrade performance and catch some nasties(malware) that impedes applications initiating or functioning properly.
Then, explain how to fix their issues may take quite some time, or they can give ubuntu a go as it won't have that 'problem'.

Just a suggestion of course. ;)

Didius Falco
May 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Without knowing more about what kind of work your co-workers actually do, I can only offer a little general advice.

Figure out how using Ubuntu can make their job easier and show them that it does. This may mean that you have to invest some time and effort; make short videos that demonstrate it, or write scripts to automate repetitive tasks. Change, to most office workers, just means disruptions in work-flow and more hassles and stress. You'll need to show them concrete evidence that it will make their life easier in the long run.

Approach management/ownership about a bonus for workers that are willing to learn Ubuntu.

Figure out how much it would save the company to drop Microsoft completely, while not having a negative impact on the ability to compete effectively in your market, and make that part of your presentation.

Make your co-workers partners in this plan - approach them first and ask if they'd be in favor of splitting a bonus equal to (adjust to your situation) 50% of the savings to the company for making the switch. With 30 computers running Windows, and Office and whatever other specialized software you need, this should be a tidy sum.

If management sees that the workforce is behind it, and that they'll see a better bottom-line as a result, and your co-workers see that it's going to mean more reward, it's a win-win situation.

Realize that this is going to put the focus on you - get your ducks in a row, because you'll get either the credit or the blame. You need to make sure that it Just Works.

Good Luck!!

Regards,

Didius

carml
May 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Another application you should show: wine. This is crucial because people coming from Windows often want a few programs they are used to. They will find alternatives in time.
Keep in mind that Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator) isn't a panacea,while it can make possible run a lot of Windows-based applications it can't run all of them,in most cases there's an equivalent under Gnu/Linux for a Windows application. :)

LowSky
May 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM
with most businesses going to web/server based applications, the OS will become less of an issue for usability and more of a cost factor, so switching to a free linux distro makes sence.

But if you in a company that uses programs that ned to be locally installed then switch becomes hazordous to production. My company is having that issue with the newest verison of Microsoft Office and soon as its out Windows 7. Most users don't want to learn anything new. Heck even I like thing to be easy most of the time. Learning lower produciton value if the new version has a new interface or new way of doing things.

So my answer is to use one OS. If you like slowly make Ubuntu the only option as the new computers come in. But in doing so make sure that the users can fully use that OS.

rcayea
May 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I say, if they are interested, show them some cool ubuntu apps and the freedom of navigating all the files.

I know the politically correct thing to say would be to leave them alone but they have to be introduced somehow.

chrisod
May 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Another application you should show: wine

That is the last thing you should show somebody. Windows users that try Linux because they think it's an easier / cheaper way to run Windows apps are almost always disappointed.

You can't sell somebody until they have a need. If Windows works for them they have no need to switch, and they won't.

Of course, if anti-virus software updates were dropped from the budget, a lot of them would likely develop a need in short order. :twisted:

(Obviously - I'm just kidding about the anti-virus updates)

growled
May 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
You could just delete Windows. Then they will be forced to use Ubuntu. :D

gn2
May 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM
~ part of my monthly bonus comes from employee satisfaction reviews with regard to them using the computers. ~

So make sure that whatever they want is correctly configured and works properly.

Interested why Ubuntu is even on the PCs if it's a dual-boot in a work environment. why double up if there's no requirement for the second OS?

Talon2
May 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Don't try to convert them as a group. It is unlikely to work.

Convert them one at a time. Chat with them. Find out who is most willing to try the Ubuntu route then start working with this person until that person is fully trained and ready to go on their own. Start the process again with the next person who is most willing and so forth.

At a certain point you should find those majority follower types that are resistant to change deciding to check Ubuntu out.

Good luck.

albinootje
May 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM

If you want those users to try Ubuntu you should find out which applications they need/want, and do good research, and be well prepared.

I've started with a migration to Ubuntu in one of the places where I work, and I can tell you that it is not always easy.

For example :

- For people to chat via Skype you will have to do their individual settings, or let them do it.
Audio in Skype usually doesn't work out of the box is my experience.

- I still haven't found a pdf editor which works in Ubuntu and is easy to use. And I also have not found a MS-Windows based pdf editor which works well in CrossOverLinux and does what they need.. properly (I found one pdf editor which worked in COL, but after testing it a colleague found out that the pdf editor has some annoying bugs/features).

- If they use MS-Office, be prepared that you cannot just switch them over to OpenOffice. If you would want to do that, they will need training, and you need to set up everything perfectly, and even then you will run into layout differences. That last thing is important when those people need to print or publish documents.

A more clever way is to move the MS-Windows users slowly to open source software like : Firefox, Thunderbird, vlc, OpenOffice, Gimp etc. or if you don't mind working with closed-source software, you can show them Google Picasa.

And what is the average age of those people ?
And what is the computer-savvy level of them ?
The older they are, the more likely it is that they don't want to
switch, unless you really manage to convince them.

Good luck! :)

powel212
May 26th, 2009, 05:13 PM
So make sure that whatever they want is correctly configured and works properly.

Interested why Ubuntu is even on the PCs if it's a dual-boot in a work environment. why double up if there's no requirement for the second OS?

win is prone to viruses that can only be eradicated with Linux and I on occasion use all of the machines in the office and when I use them I need to be using Linux hence the necessity of dual boot. I would also eventually like to have all the machines running linux to save the boss some money which will surely mean a bonus for me.

Powel

Mark Phelps
May 26th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Originally wrote a response before I saw your most recent comments ...

Given that the machines already have MS Windows installed, it's quite debatable whether the Total Cost of Ownership of these machines over time is going to be reduced by your removing MS Windows from them.

Whatever happened to the idea of providing your customers what they "need", not what you "want"? Someone obviously believes in the former because they wrote your bonus to be based on your customers' happiness, not yours.

If you take away what they like simply to make your life easier, you're asking for a major backlash from the community you support.

anewguy
May 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Originally wrote a response before I saw your most recent comments ...

Given that the machines already have MS Windows installed, it's quite debatable whether the Total Cost of Ownership of these machines over time is going to be reduced by your removing MS Windows from them.

Whatever happened to the idea of providing your customers what they "need", not what you "want"? Someone obviously believes in the former because they wrote your bonus to be based on your customers' happiness, not yours.

If you take away what they like simply to make your life easier, you're asking for a major backlash from the community you support.

Amen!! As a former systems programmer/systems administrator on big iron, minis and micros, I can tell you from experience that this response hits the nail on the head.

Has management dictated to you that you need to move Linux?

Do ALL of the applications the users use work in Linux?

Is there any special software or hardware requirements that dictate a switch?

As Mark Phelps wrote, it's not a matter of wants, it's a matter of needs. If the company has dictated to you that you must lower costs and have suggested Linux as an alternative, that's great. But if this is just you saying "let's switch to the free OS, no viruses, etc.", then there is some serious evaluation that needs to take place. It starts with your manager and the company - do the want to make the switch? If so, and they have relegated this task to you, then you need to start with a study of what you have versus where you are going.

You need to study the users needs, the applications they use, etc.. Then you need to fully investigate that these can be met with Linux. You must be prepared to prove that. Next you need to determine if the current applications can stay as-is or if the users will need to be converted to a new tool. Involve the users and their input heavily in this or you are destined to fail.

Once you have the requirements and changes that will be needed, work out a detailed plan of conversion. Attach costs to these - not just OS costs, but employee training costs, lost productivity during this time costs, etc.. Check that bottom line and be sure it really is cost effective to make such a change.

In other words, you need to be a business planner, a systems analyst, a user come-to point, etc., and you need to do all the planning and proving of concept any project manager would.

My suspicion? Right now unless there is a user need that REQUIRES Linux, this would probably not be that beneficial to a company.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Dave :)

ibuclaw
May 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
As the saying goes:

Don't Preach, Mention... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865750)

tubezninja
May 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM
with most businesses going to web/server based applications, the OS will become less of an issue for usability and more of a cost factor, so switching to a free linux distro makes sence.

You know, this was the same argument made in 2000, when the "death" of the PC was predicted in favor of "net appliances." Fact is, I didn't believe it then, and I don't believe it now. Even netbooks can and do run local apps.

You're not going to get everyone to switch the linux in a workplace unless the switch is mandated from up top. And I would NOT advocate lobbying management to change platforms unless they are prepared to take stock of every piece of specialized software that is run in that environment, and assurances are made that they will either run fine in linux or that suitable replacements are available.

If you can do that, AND the economic case made for switching to open source, then it might work out. Even so, don't expect your co-workers to be totally happy about this, at least at first and very likely for a good while.

Personally, I'm happy that where I work, we get a choice of running Windows, Mac, Ubuntu or OpenSuSE, and other departments are even running Solaris and Redhat. The focus here isn't on making every system conform, but rather ensuring that you have the tools you need to get the job done (of course, you also have to demonstrate you know how to USE those tools before you use them). :)

chucky chuckaluck
May 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
constant badgering should do the trick.

albinootje
May 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Personally, I'm happy that where I work, we get a choice of running Windows, Mac, Ubuntu or OpenSuSE, and other departments are even running Solaris and Redhat.

And the sysadmins are happy to have to deal with such a variety of different OS-es ? Or do you have sysadmins per OS ?

RiceMonster
May 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM

+1

Also constant usage of terms such as "Micro$uck$" and "Winblow$" is a great way to covert them.

kellemes
May 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Guess that's how MS did it.

kellemes
May 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM
+1

Also constant usage of terms such as "Micro$uck$" and "Winblow$" is a great way to covert them.

It's a great way to get an infraction also.. ;-)

Keithhed
May 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Leave it.

Unless they have a reason to change over, they wont. So I wouldn't try to push them to using something they don't want to.

Use what works.

growled
May 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Also say random stuff like "if you don't switch to Linux I will p!ss on your great-grandmother's grave." That'll do the trick. :D

albinootje
May 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Since I'm in a little bit of a similar situation as the OP, let me write down some more, in an attempt to have a serious discussion.

A few weeks ago I was thinking about working closer together with the MS-Windows admin in one place where I work. I was thinking of showing him (He uses Linux since years for himself) how much easier maintenance of Linux desktops is compared to MS-Windows desktops. I was also thinking of trying to find a way for him to make the maintenance of the MS-Windows desktops easier for him.

Each time a new computer (from parts) is bought, he has to spend hours and hours on the MS-Windows installation (Software, drivers etc.)...

Since cloning dual-boot machines with Linux and MS-Windows with e.g. Clonezilla is not easy (because you cannot simply clone MS-Windows, try cloning a physical MS-Windows install, and copy that to e.g. a VirtualBox setup, it is *not* easy and can often fail), I started to look for other options.

And I found this : http://unattended.sourceforge.net/
Looks promising, no ?
Yes, I thought so at first, but then after reading more, I got depressed :(

Warpnow
May 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I believe you can clone windows XP installs, but doing so without removing from the original machine would be illegal I believe.

racerraul
May 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
As has already been said, this decision is to be made by management.

Perhaps you should ask for a meeting, and have a presentation ready to convince management that a switch to Ubuntu as a workstation is worth the transition time and temporary impact on productivity. There should be obvious benefits... immunity to viruses and spy-ware would be great if the company has had to address a LAN wide virus infection in the past. Less reboots for security updates and better built in security for administrative tasks... IMO, with some other distributions you may be able to extend the life of the HW in use (less upgrades).

You should have a plan ready as well, showing how you have addressed the impact on productivity and minimize it. For example, the transition could be spread across a certain period of time in which you are able to train a few users at a time in a lab for a few hours during the day.

Once you have Management signing off on your project, the users would have to adapt.

And adapt they will soon, when Windows 7 is the desktop standard in your shop. So this may be a good opportunity to show the business there are some options ahead, and how your plan can save them money during what could potentially be an upcoming expensive transition.

albinootje
May 27th, 2009, 07:14 PM
As has already been said, this decision is to be made by management.

It has been said that the users should be happy to switch. Why would management have to be consulted first ?

Management at the OP's work place seems to want to keep the users happy, and hand out bonuses for that even, so the opinion of the users would be more important i'd say.

soliddiesel
May 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
this is got to work!! ill give u the golden idea!!! upgrade the windows to Vista! and remove all memory modules, maintain 512 Mb on all pcs, when they use it!! they r gonna hate it like doing laundry!! as an instant rescue reboot into Ubuntu!! Tada!!!
Not only they will shift to it! but praise u like something, ( which means good feedback good pay),
by the way Ubuntu works awsome on 512 Mb so no worries! and Vista will act like, well i dont know!! cause it wont even move the cursor!! u can easily put all the blame on Windows! its too faulty! no one will ever notice.
Or.....if u want some other ideas!! just for a day make Ubuntu the default OS ( by mistake) they all will load into Ubuntu! ( since they r stupid enought not to use Ubuntu) then u can support them to further use it and explore it.
If u have all guys on ur Messenger! write mean and bad words about windows! and Praise Ubuntu, that has got to get there attention.
One more option can be, put those "übuntu" -linux for human beings. sticker on all casings!! they have got to get curious!
Next time u do any trouble shooting on there PC, restart it in Ubuntu and then do it!
I tried this to get my staff at office to use FF instead of IE!
do let me know what happened!

My personal fav by the way is removing RAMS
muhahahahaha!!! All u Window users convert to ubuntu! or when the revolution comes ur PC's will be burned!!-Solid Diesel

anewguy
May 28th, 2009, 03:32 AM
And yet the mature person knows that you ALWAYS consult management FIRST. There are places in business to "do things on your own" which are a risk but only affect you if they are wrong. The mature person knows the proper way of handling a project and of application/user migration. The people (whether they be stock holders or private individuals) who own and manage the company are there for one reason - to make more money than they could if they put the money in a bank. The mature person understands that, and understands risk management in project research and implementation. this isn't a little boys/girls club of "just do it" - it is a company, and the management of that company makes the decisions. Once the decisions are made, the responsible people must follow standard project analysis and risk assessment, project benefits, etc., before just dumping on the users. Trust me, from way over 20 years of experience here, you want the users to be your friends, NOT you enemies.

kk0sse54
May 28th, 2009, 03:34 AM
this is got to work!! ill give u the golden idea!!! upgrade the windows to Vista! and remove all memory modules, maintain 512 Mb on all pcs, when they use it!! they r gonna hate it like doing laundry!! as an instant rescue reboot into Ubuntu!! Tada!!!
Not only they will shift to it! but praise u like something, ( which means good feedback good pay),
by the way Ubuntu works awsome on 512 Mb so no worries! and Vista will act like, well i dont know!! cause it wont even move the cursor!! u can easily put all the blame on Windows! its too faulty! no one will ever notice.
Or.....if u want some other ideas!! just for a day make Ubuntu the default OS ( by mistake) they all will load into Ubuntu! ( since they r stupid enought not to use Ubuntu) then u can support them to further use it and explore it.
If u have all guys on ur Messenger! write mean and bad words about windows! and Praise Ubuntu, that has got to get there attention.
One more option can be, put those "übuntu" -linux for human beings. sticker on all casings!! they have got to get curious!
Next time u do any trouble shooting on there PC, restart it in Ubuntu and then do it!
I tried this to get my staff at office to use FF instead of IE!
do let me know what happened!

My personal fav by the way is removing RAMS
muhahahahaha!!! All u Window users convert to ubuntu! or when the revolution comes ur PC's will be burned!!-Solid Diesel

You make me hate linux

LookTJ
May 28th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Leave them alone.

If you already mentioned Ubuntu and they say that they like Windows, that's their cup of tea.

Tipped OuT
May 28th, 2009, 03:55 AM
leave it.
I believe you shouldn't try to convert people. If windows works for them, that's fine.

+1

Please stop going around trying shove things down people's throats. I've seen too many threads like this. If they're happy with Windows, then leave them, there's more important things to worry about. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to introduce them to Linux... but have them make there own decision.

bikodog
May 28th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I am employed by a large global electronics corporation, which stresses innovation. Recently, on our corporate Q&A intranet, I queried IT management on their current endeavors to move towards using more open-source applications, including OS. Included in my submission, I included examples of improved security, customization, and performance, along with the reduced costs associated with "problem-free" operation.

After three months, I have received no response. It is disappointing that an organization that is on the cutting-edge of technology in the products that it makes (including devices with open-source architecture), has an IT organization that is apparently opposed to changing from the established norms in software (OS, productivity suites, etc). My opinion is that those who have the least stake in improving the performance of IT in general, are those that are most entrenched in the day-to-day maintenance of systems that suck.

As far as converting the masses to Ubuntu...spread the word when you get the chance; those that want to hear will catch on.

ugm6hr
May 28th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I think you are coming at this from the wrong angle. If long-term cost savings are the issue, then this is admirable; otherwise I would allow users to use what they are most productive with.

If you want to pursue this, I would suggest initial use of cross-platform applications. e.g. install FF and OO.org on Windows to aid familiarity; these can often be introduced one at a time as "upgrades" to existing closed source applications.

Once this is achieved, the underlying OS can be substituted with some preset Windows-like themes (which would essentially mean changing the panel layout and menu structure, and adding a disk mounter applet, since users should not be meddling in administrative menus anyway).

Most importantly, get management to share the closed source upgrade costs with employees, and publicise the fact that you have secured their Christmas bonuses; you get great reviews, and a tidy bonus yourself!

Long term satisfaction for all concerned...

powel212
May 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
upgrade the windows to Vista! and remove all memory modules, maintain 512 Mb on all pcs, when they use it!! they r gonna hate it like doing laundry!! as an instant rescue reboot into Ubuntu!! Tada!!!

This is the kind of thing I was looking for. thank you.

I don't want to force anyone to do anything. Yes, everyone needs to come to a decision on their own. the above mentioned idea is a real practical real world solution I could easily put into play.

Thanks again.

Sorry to everyone who misunderstood me. As I said I don't want to force anyone. I made this post because I am sure their are a lot of smarter people than myself that could help me develop real world ideas for helping people come to their own decision to switch or at least try out Ubuntu as it is already there on the machines as a secondary boot option.

P.

Mark Phelps
May 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
This is the kind of thing I was looking for. thank you.

So, you're going to trash their abilities to do their jobs, even to the point of putting them in danger of getting fired for failing to do their work -- all so that YOU can get them to do what YOU want -- switch to Ubuntu?

You're kidding -- right??

If you're serious, you've completely missed the entire focus of Open Source -- it's about giving people choices! It's not about forcing them to make the choice YOU want them to make.

albinootje
May 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
You're kidding -- right??

Yes, probably (I assume).

If you're serious, you've completely missed the entire focus of Open Source -- it's about giving people choices! It's not about forcing them to make the choice YOU want them to make.
Millions of people are forced to use the restricted and closed-source MS-Windows software in schools, companies etc.etc. just because management made that decision.

I'm not suggesting that the OP should force those users into using Ubuntu, but I can tell you that I am very very happy that the previous sysadmin at my work *forced* the MS-Windows users to switch to Firefox and Thunderbird (Instead of PegasusMail [..shiver..] and MS-IE).

calrogman
May 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
If all of the machines are dual boot, put this in /boot/grub/menu.lst

hiddenmenu
timeout 2
default 4(assuming default install and one Windows partition)
In the default menu.lst file, simply uncomment the line "#hiddenmenu", change "timeout 10" to "timeout 2" and change "default 0" to "default 4".

Warpnow
May 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM
This thread is ridiculous...dear god...

Linux is not a cult. It is not your responsbility to bring more people into the fold. Those who want to use it can. Those who don't? Entirely fine.

A linux user is no better, smarter, or more advanced than a windows user. They have simply made a different choice.

LinuxGuy1234
May 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Switch the employees to free software, then yank Windows and force them to use Ubuntu.

albinootje
May 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
This thread is ridiculous...dear god...

Linux is not a cult. It is not your responsbility to bring more people into the fold. Those who want to use it can. Those who don't? Entirely fine.

I can see what you mean, but I assume that you are talking from the point of view as a home user.

For me as a system administrator it is different.
I have an interest in moving away colleagues from their insecure MS-Windows installations, or at least try to help them make that MS OS less secure (I prefer the first choice).

aysiu
May 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
If you want to pursue this, I would suggest initial use of cross-platform applications. e.g. install FF and OO.org on Windows to aid familiarity; these can often be introduced one at a time as "upgrades" to existing closed source applications. I agree with this approach and think it works well for home users as well (not just businesses).

It's a lot easier for people to switch to open source Windows applications than to switch completely over to an open source operating system.

You can start with Firefox and Thunderbird. Maybe propose OpenOffice as a cost-saver to the higher-ups in place of Microsoft Office. If you can get everyone slowly switching over to FileZilla, Pidgin, and VLC in Windows, then a later move to Ubuntu will be a lot smoother, with less culture shock and less backlash.

The first thing you should do is assess their needs. Are you moving them to OpenOffice because you want to move them to OpenOffice? Or would it really suit their productivity needs better (or at least equally)? Most people use only the most basic features of MS Office, but there are some folks, particularly for business, who use some of the more advanced features of MS Office that do not necessarily have counterparts in OpenOffice (for example, changing case beyond just upper and lower or customizing an email merge beyond just dear so-and-so).

Warpnow
May 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I can see what you mean, but I assume that you are talking from the point of view as a home user.

I have an interest in moving away colleagues from their insecure MS-Windows installations, or at least try to help them make that MS OS less secure (I prefer the first choice).

No, you have an interest in doing your job. Your job includes adminstering the system, not being its god. If they want to use a windows system, then your job is to administer the windows system. You can provide them with whatever information you want. You can debate it with them, but some of the suggestions in this thread are downright manipulative and unethical.

The truth is, for some, the most informed decision is to stay with windows. The time they'd spend learning linux, learning new applications, and the cost of the products they produce deterioriating would be too much for them.

You have to realize there are people for whom spending 10 hours working to learn a new system would be worth more than any Windows license could ever be.

Then, for people in multimedia/video, switching to linux would literally mean producing an inferior product at a consideribly increased time. Linux has no good video editor, for instance, that satisfies industry use. Scribus is also seriously inferior to Pagemaker/Indesign, and Photoshop CS4 has new features that GIMP will likely never have.

Linux is great for me. I love linux, but it is not the end all be all of operating systems. I am a student, who genuinely enjoys toying with my operating system. If I did not enjoy the process of customizing it, then the cost/benefit analysis of linux would skew consideribly. Some people want a system they'll -never- have to customize. They're willing to pay alot for this system because they view customization time was hard work.

anewguy
May 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM

As an ex-sysadmin and systems programmer, I understand what you are saying. But......I think you would surely agree that you couldn't undertake such a task as the op posted - moving 25 workstations - without (1) management approval (2) costs breakdown (including research time on apps, conversion time, user training time [even if the apps are the same, chances are some training will still be needed]) (3) cost/benefit analysis, etc., etc., etc.. In a smaller business this is even more critical.

I used to work at some pretty big companies, and even though I had a ton of responsibilities, such a change would still have needed management approval.

Normally, after we did some initial research, we would try to set up a test workstation, with all the software, etc., and have a key user comment on it - what was good, what needed to change, questions, etc..

I know you're not one of them, but it's obvious from some of the replies in this thread that there are some "kids" answering here with no concept of business or the real world.

Now, if you were talking a single user or 2, that wouldn't be a big deal. But 25 workstations, even though that is extremely small compared to the user base I was used to, still would require a lot of analysis and planning. Chances are in a business of that size, these users are even more key to the company than when I worked at large companies - and those users were key to the companies success and bottom line.

Hope you understand - not arguing with your point, just giving my point again as an ex-system administrator and systems programmer from big iron all the way down to micros. Some of the other responses here are just plain childish.

anarchyinc
May 29th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Leave it.

+1

If you really wanted to be an ***, change the default to linux and tell them that there is a virus in the windows server and it will take you a few days to repair the damage. If they don't like it after they actually try it out, leave them be.

albinootje
May 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM
No, you have an interest in doing your job. Your job includes adminstering the system, not being its god. If they want to use a windows system, then your job is to administer the windows system.

Administering MS-Windows machines is luckily not in my job description (I do the Linux mail- and file-server and the firewalls there), but I've taken the initiative to switch some people who are interested in Linux to be using Linux on the desktop instead.

In the end the idea is to switch every workstation to Linux, with the option to use VirtualBox in case they would need certain applications.
One other argument for dual-boot workstations there, is that I don't want to use a MS-Windows workstation when I'm there, and that new colleagues and visitors need to be given a choice, instead of forcing them to use Microsoft products when they arrrive there.

You can provide them with whatever information you want. You can debate it with them, but some of the suggestions in this thread are downright manipulative and unethical.

I'm not referring to those childish remarks about taking out RAM etc. and I will not promote ideas like that.

The truth is, for some, the most informed decision is to stay with windows. The time they'd spend learning linux, learning new applications, and the cost of the products they produce deterioriating would be too much for them.

I don't agree, the more Linux users at my work, the more shared knowledge that there is (or will be) among those Linux users.

One colleague is extremely happy with Linux, it runs now on his workstation for almost a year, and also on his laptop and his netbook.
A few weeks ago we tried Debian on his netbook, and later he followed instructions from the Debian wiki to make the wireless work, only with a tiny little bit of help from me. I was impressed, and he's happy.

hyperdude111
May 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
this thread is ridiculous...dear god...

A linux user is no better, smarter, or more advanced than a windows user. They have simply made a different choice.

+1

TeamJ
July 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
as chriskin wrote a post about it: don't preach, mention.search for it

mamamia88
July 14th, 2009, 10:00 PM
wouldn't you be out of a job if they switched to linux?