PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there a way to upgrade all my software apps?

Macfunky
May 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I heard there was an easy way to upgrade all my software to the latest versions in one easy step. How do i do this?

livestockPimp
May 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM
"apt-get update"
from command prompt will update apt to the latest packages for your current distro.

"apt-get upgrade" will install all the latest updates.

livestockPimp
May 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM
also, if you want to upgrade your distribution then after this is all up to date you can change your repositories by editing "/etc/apt/sources.list"
and then running and "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade"

all these commands have to be entered as root or with sudo.

schmengei
May 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I have 86 updates waiting to be installed, and can't do it because i receive the following msg when attempt is made. Can someone talk me step by step on what to do and where to go. My computer has really bogged down speedwise. Thanks in advance. When i go to terminal and manually attempt - nothing happens This is what pops up:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

abn91c
May 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I have 86 updates waiting to be installed, and can't do it because i receive the following msg when attempt is made. Can someone talk me step by step on what to do and where to go. My computer has really bogged down speedwise. Thanks in advance. When i go to terminal and manually attempt - nothing happens This is what pops up:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

sudo dpkg --configure -a
then
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade