PDA

View Full Version : [other] Tri-booting XP, Ubuntu, and Kubntu

Clowdstride
May 26th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I've been looking around a bit to see about Tri-booting XP, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu, havent found much that is helpful.

Right now I have my XP reinstall disc, both Ubuntu and Kubuntu discs, and a 90GB hdd that's unallociated save for the 10GB NTFS for windows. I have no problem wiping anything off, since i have a USB xhdd that i store all important files on. My main concern is getting Kubuntu not to wipe Ubuntu and XP when i install it, for last time i tried to install kubuntu, i had Ubuntu and XP existing on my drive and Kubuntu wiped over all even though i had partitioned for kubuntu.

Probably the most important thing that I'm asking is how should my drive be partitioned if I want to have all three functional, but dont care much for using XP except on some occasions?

Not really one of the types that wants something easy and not so great. Please- by all means- provide the best way to achive the final product regardless of ease. (Though I be a bit new to Linux; mostly just the terminology and lesser functions i'm not familure of)
Thanks for any help, Muchly appreciated.
-Justin

ushimitsudoki
May 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM
There's not much point in dual-booting Ubuntu/Kubuntu, because you can just install both DE (Gnome/KDE), and then select which one you like at the login manager. Done this way, you get the same basic results.

That being said, it is true that this won't be exactly the same as "true" triple booting.

Most guides are going to talk about a triple boot with 2 (or more) different Linux distros + Windows, rather than 2 "flavors" of the same distro + Windows. Here's one (http://www.go2linux.org/triple-boot-windows-two-linux), and there are a ton more on Google.