PDA

View Full Version : Glass Ubuntu Mock Up

Tipped OuT
May 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Now wouldn't it be cool if gnome could use a glass interface like Windows Vista or Windows 7? Take a peek:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3577/glassbuntu.png (http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=glassbuntu.png)

He is trying to get at the fact that we need transparency in GTK elements and widgets within a window, and not just the Window border. This is not the same as turning down the opacity in compiz, as that makes everything in the window transparent, including the text, making it hard to read. We need GTK to be able to make parts transparent natively, and along with Emerald for borders this could work out nicely. See this image. (http://www.gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre3/42755-3.jpg)

Notice that while the Windows are transparent, only certain elements are. The text field is not, and the text is not. Try scrolling with Alt down in Compiz. It doesn't look nearly as good, which is what the OP is pointing out.

Firestem4
May 26th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Now wouldn't it be cool if gnome could use a glass interface like Windows Vista or Windows 7? Take a peek:

KDE + Oxyglass theme =)

Warpnow
May 26th, 2009, 06:34 AM
There are a myriad of glass themes on gnome-look.org.

Tipped OuT
May 26th, 2009, 06:35 AM
There are a myriad of glass themes on gnome-look.org.

Yes, but that only goes as far as glass window borders. Unless I'm missing something?

Corelogik
May 26th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I like that but it would be hell on lighter backgrounds.

Giant Speck
May 26th, 2009, 06:41 AM
The only thing that annoys me about glass is that you need to put a white glow around text to make it readable.

Warpnow
May 26th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Yes, but that only goes as far as glass window borders. Unless I'm missing something?

What else do you want? Panels? They can already be made transparent.

kevdog
May 26th, 2009, 06:48 AM
The only thing that really annoys me is the limited bandwidth from imageshack to download that screenshot!

Tipped OuT
May 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM
What else do you want? Panels? They can already be made transparent.

You're missing my point though. I'm talking about actual transparency, not just lowered opacity. I'm talking about a glass UI like Windows Vista / 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero

There is no support for real transparency in gnome (except for the window borders). So what I'm saying is, what if there was, it might possibly look like my mock up. :)

Giant Speck
May 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM
You're missing my point. I'm talking about actual transparency, not just lowered opacity. I'm talking about a glass UI like Windows Vista / 7.

There is no support for real transparency in gnome (except for the window borders). So what I'm saying is, what if there was, it might possibly look like my mock up. :)

The Murrine engine has limited RGBA support, which allows for transparent effects. Combine that with Compiz's reflection and blur plugins, and you could have a really neat glass theme.

Tipped OuT
May 26th, 2009, 06:54 AM
The Murrine engine has limited RGBA support, which allows for transparent effects. Combine that with Compiz's reflection and blur plugins, and you could have a really neat glass theme.

I knew some one was going to say that, but the key word here is limited. Plus, it only applies to the applications that support it, which is very few. ;)

Warpnow
May 26th, 2009, 06:55 AM
You're missing my point though. I'm talking about actual transparency, not just lowered opacity. I'm talking about a glass UI like Windows Vista / 7.

Zero opacity and transparent are literally the exact same thing.

What you want is a unified desktop with glass themes for every app you use. Its not impossible, its just that no one's gotten around to doing it that I know of.

Tipped OuT
May 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Zero opacity and transparent are literally the exact same thing.

What you want is a unified desktop with glass themes for every app you use. Its not impossible, its just that no one's gotten around to doing it that I know of.

Kind of see the difference? "A" is transparency "B" is lowered opacity. :D
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3139/opacitytrans.png (http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=opacitytrans.png)

Warpnow
May 26th, 2009, 07:13 AM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3139/opacitytrans.png (http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=opacitytrans.png)

I have no idea what that image is of...:-p

But...I was just pointing out, if you look the words up in a dictionary...

Transparency is basically defined the same way you'd define lacking opacity. ;)

Obviously, transparent panels in gnome look different than transparent things in Aero. But that doesn't make one "True" transparency and the other not. In fact, Gnome is MORE transparent, whereas Aero adds "distortion" to make it look glassy, which makes it more opaque, and therefore less transparent.

Tipped OuT
May 26th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I have no idea what that image is of...:-p

But...I was just pointing out, if you look the words up in a dictionary...

Transparency is basically defined the same way you'd define lacking opacity. ;)

Obviously, transparent panels in gnome look different than transparent things in Aero. But that doesn't make one "True" transparency and the other not. In fact, Gnome is MORE transparent, whereas Aero adds "distortion" to make it look glassy, which makes it more opaque, and therefore less transparent.

](*,)

Warpnow
May 26th, 2009, 07:20 AM
](*,)

Was I not supposed to take that post seriously?

Chame_Wizard
May 26th, 2009, 08:52 AM
KDE+Elegance theme FTW

Eclipse.
May 26th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Too late, windows has already done that with aero.

Seriously guys, we need our own unique look.

Mazza558
May 26th, 2009, 10:01 AM
As others have said. KDE 4.3 can do this (with blur) quite easily now.

3rdalbum
May 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM
The opposite of "transparent" is "opaque".

0% opaqueness is 100% transparency.

Nobody has any idea what you're trying to get at with the "real transparency" stuff. Sorry.

damis648
May 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
The opposite of "transparent" is "opaque".

0% opaqueness is 100% transparency.

Nobody has any idea what you're trying to get at with the "real transparency" stuff. Sorry.

He is trying to get at the fact that we need transparency in GTK elements and widgets within a window, and not just the Window border. This is not the same as turning down the opacity in compiz, as that makes everything in the window transparent, including the text, making it hard to read. We need GTK to be able to make parts transparent natively, and along with Emerald for borders this could work out nicely. See this image. (http://www.gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre3/42755-3.jpg)

Notice that while the Windows are transparent, only certain elements are. The text field is not, and the text is not. Try scrolling with Alt down in Compiz. It doesn't look nearly as good, which is what the OP is pointing out.

gn2
May 26th, 2009, 11:56 AM
It's all just window dressing.
Does transparency really add anything useful?
I think not.

Slug71
May 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
One Linux distro had a default glass theme some time ago, brother showed me in 2003/2004, that was awesome but i cant remember which Distro it was. If i remember correctly it only ran from a CD.

SomeGuyDude
May 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hey! Hey you! Stop suggesting Windows could possibly have a feature Linux doesn't!!!

days_of_ruin
May 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I knew some one was going to say that, but the key word here is limited. Plus, it only applies to the applications that support it, which is very few. ;)

Same on windows.

jonian_g
May 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Hey! Hey you! Stop suggesting Windows could possibly have a feature Linux doesn't!!!

I hope linux will never have such useless features!

MaxIBoy
May 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Whatever floats your boat, but I think the whole "glass" thing is a waste of screen space. It only looks any good if you make the panels and window borders really wide, wider than they need to be. And even then, it gets really old after a while. (I speak as someone who used Vista for three entire weeks once.)

Tipped OuT
May 26th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Thank you.

billgoldberg
May 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Compiz Fusion.

swoll1980
May 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Feathers aren't soft, they're just less hard.

Skripka
May 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I think not.

Bling. Do we not all like Bling every now and again?

Note: The capitalization of "bling", e.g. "Bling", so that you don't get confused with mere "bling"

Tipped OuT
May 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
So you guy's think this is a bad idea...or?

Skripka
May 26th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Asking Gnome users if they like glassy desktop effects is kind of like asking Focus on The Family what they think about Grand Theft Auto. The reactions are very predictable.

I like. Then again I'm a KDE4 user.

Tipped OuT
May 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Asking Gnome users if they like glassy desktop effects is kind of like asking Focus on The Family what they think about Grand Theft Auto. The reactions are very predictable.

I might try KDE sometime then. ;)

jonian_g
May 26th, 2009, 06:02 PM

In my opinion, it's not useful. That doesn't make it a bad idea.

kc3
May 26th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Meh, doesn't have to be useful to be a good idea, just needs to be liked enough for people to use. How many cosmetic changes serve no other purpose than for looks??? I love having my computer setup looking good, hell for the growth of Linux even the style would have a huge effect. I like it, even though there are alternatives.

jonian_g
May 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
How many cosmetic changes serve no other purpose than for looks???

I don't think you can compare silicon ***** with transparent windows. Everyone likes the first, not everyone the second.

For me a transparent window creates a lot of eye junk.

swoll1980
May 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I don't think you can compare silicon ***** with transparent windows. Everyone likes the first, not everyone the second.

I can't stand the way fake breast look.

Kareeser
May 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Speak for yourself. I wouldn't mind it. As long as it was done tastefully, and made optional, with the default setting as off.

aeiah
May 26th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Speak for yourself. I wouldn't mind it. As long as it was done tastefully, and made optional, with the default setting as off.

edit: sorry, nevermind. i thought we were still talking about *****.

floborg
May 26th, 2009, 09:58 PM
i can't stand the way fake breast look.

+1

kc3
May 26th, 2009, 09:59 PM

I met on computers haha, like cosmetic as in just changing the looks :P most people enjoy SOME crap on their computers :P I hear ya though, I still think it's good, even if some people won't use it. If an idea was bad just because some people don't like it, hell we wouldn't even have computers lol

And as for fake *****, meh ***** are *****. Fake or not you can still motorboat them :o haha

jonian_g
May 26th, 2009, 10:11 PM
That's what I said. The fact that I don't like it doesn't make a bad idea

And as for fake *****, meh ***** are *****. Fake or not you can still motorboat them :o haha

+1 :D

kc3
May 26th, 2009, 11:39 PM
That's what I said. The fact that I don't like it doesn't make a bad idea

+1 :D

Oh okay, I gotta say though, I loved your analogy ;)

Superkoop
May 27th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I think not.

If we were only worried about being useful, all we would be using is the terminal.

About people debating about glass looking good or not; look around you at the current consumer level technology interfaces, that's the style we are dealing with right now. A lot of people base their first impressions of operating systems on how they look, and when an operating system fails to meet the 'modern' look, the operating system appears unsatisfactory.
By the time Ubuntu has something of similar appearances, it will be too late and the styles will have moved on. However, the style will be based on what we have now, and this level of technology. So all is not lost, we simply have to go past the current style out there now, and come up with something based on it but appears 'better' to new users.

So what I am saying is that we have look at what is popular now, base our plans on that, and then deviate from that into something the public will consider to be the cool new thing.
Our current theme is stuck back in the styles of 2001, we need to update it to the current styles, and then jump ahead to a style that will be popular in 5 years.

Can we do it? Yes. :guitar:
Will we do it? No. :-({|=

jonian_g
May 27th, 2009, 01:57 AM
If we were only worried about being useful, all we would be using is the terminal.

About people debating about glass looking good or not; look around you at the current consumer level technology interfaces, that's the style we are dealing with right now. A lot of people base their first impressions of operating systems on how they look, and when an operating system fails to meet the 'modern' look, the operating system appears unsatisfactory.
By the time Ubuntu has something of similar appearances, it will be too late and the styles will have moved on. However, the style will be based on what we have now, and this level of technology. So all is not lost, we simply have to go past the current style out there now, and come up with something based on it but appears 'better' to new users.

So what I am saying is that we have look at what is popular now, base our plans on that, and then deviate from that into something the public will consider to be the cool new thing.
Our current theme is stuck back in the styles of 2001, we need to update it to the current styles, and then jump ahead to a style that will be popular in 5 years.

Can we do it? Yes. :guitar:
Will we do it? No. :-({|=

Linux already hs what you ask for. KDE4

Superkoop
May 27th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Linux already hs what you ask for. KDE4

I was not writing about Linux in general, I was writing specifically about Ubuntu which uses GNOME.

kc3
May 27th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Well, there's Kubuntu, meh, but one thing to consider, the fact that it's not consistent doesn't help Linux grow either. When people think of it they usually have something specfic in mind which is understandable. A lot of people don't have about the better Linux styles. Someone who has barely ever seen Linux may have an impression of Linux and never seen KDE to it's fullest.

However I must say also that the only way to make it all look the same and consistent would kind of defeat one of the reasons for Linux in the first place. Kind of a predicament lol

gn2
May 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM

I disagree, for most users the terminal is only any use as a recovery/repair tool when other options aren't available.

tom66
May 27th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I like it.

infamous-online
April 27th, 2010, 10:57 PM
KDE + Oxyglass theme =)

What about us that use Gnome, I'm not a big fan of KDE?

lisati
April 27th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Thread closed: necrophilia