PDA

View Full Version : Recommending Ubuntu to Family Members

bmbeeman
January 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM
My Grandfather is having trouble with his old Windows 98 Machine, and I thought about introducing him to Linux through an Ubuntu Live Cd and than maybe a HD install. The one thing I'm worried about is thatit may be easier for him to stick with Windows because I understand Modern Computers, he does not, what do you guys think?

Mr_Grieves
January 14th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Well. What happens if something goes wrong? Will you/others be able to help him then?
What does he use his computer for? The usual stuff.. Is he willing to learn Ubuntu?

Can't you dual boot his computer?

professor_chaos
January 14th, 2006, 07:20 AM
It will mean a lot of technical support from you, so it's really your call.

I introduced my father to linux and unfortunately he was not willing to spend any real time learning/adapting to the new/non-windows OS. It wasn't a complete sucess.

AMD64_N_Linux
January 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM
My Grandfather is having trouble with his old Windows 98 Machine, and I thought about introducing him to Linux through an Ubuntu Live Cd and than maybe a HD install. The one thing I'm worried about is thatit may be easier for him to stick with Windows because I understand Modern Computers, he does not, what do you guys think?

If you are going to do it for him. Install it, update it, configure it, put icons on his desktop, remove any icons that might get him into trouble and then let him have it.

You might also consider the tools for elderly people such as extra larger fonts, and things of that nature.

Then as a final step, either set it up so that you can administer it remotely, or if you are nearby, just swing by every now and again to make sure his box is still working, and spend a little time with him. It will give you the opportunity to check up on him, without letting him think you are checking up on him.

DigitalDuality
January 14th, 2006, 07:24 AM
If your grandfather is anything like my grandparents.... Linux, Windows, OS X.. it probably doesn't matter all that much.

My grandparents don't install a thing themselves and use only the apps that come out of the box or maybe get a "knowledgable" person to put an AV on or an anti-spyware app. That's about it.

I know i could put all 4 of my grandparents on a Ubuntu machine as long as it was completely configured and setup properly. Get all the codecs in and ensure cds/dvds work. Make sure all the stuff on the web works as good as you can get it (flash for instance).

It would be a simple matter of creating a sticky note on their monitor that explained some program name changes..

Firefox--> Internet
GAIM--> AIM
Totem--> DVD Player

etc, etc.

People here that are mentioning tech support from you.. are dead on.

briancurtin
January 14th, 2006, 07:26 AM
yeah, if you really decide to do this, be prepared to make it not only work right away, but make it work when he wants it to if something goes wrong.

my grandpa has a laptop with windows and my dad and sometimes myself are his personal admins. not at the drop of a hat, but when something goes wrong he freaks out and my dad has to tell him what to do since he set up his email account one day. if you set everything up, from the OS to a browser, you should be ready for the commitment to making it work.

good luck with whatever decision you come up with, and it is nice of you to extend this possible offer to your family in an effort to make things better**

**better is subjective, but for the purposes of this thread you guys know what i mean

kingsidy
January 14th, 2006, 07:27 AM
compared to windows 98 i'd say that ubuntu is a good choice.

DigitalDuality
January 14th, 2006, 07:30 AM
compared to windows 98 i'd say that ubuntu is a good choice.
I'd also venture to say... Ubuntu is probably far more "plug and play" than Win98 is. That's a plus, though i know there's not really a huge elderly mp3 player crowd.

fuscia
January 14th, 2006, 07:32 AM
my father is 80, was a teacher, has taken some computer classes (for fun) and i can't even get him to use firefox instead of IE (i even installed it for him). some dogs are just too old [ah]stubborn[/choo!] to try something new.

briancurtin
January 14th, 2006, 07:36 AM
my father is 80, was a teacher, has taken some computer classes (for fun) and i can't even get him to use firefox instead of IE (i even installed it for him). some dogs are just too old [ah]stubborn[/choo!] to try something new.
my grandpa is pretty much the exact same person. i havent touched his computer, just helped him out over the phone, but hes the type of person that would call and ask how to delete this firefox virus that showed up in his menus

Qrk
January 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM
My father is starting to show his age. I showed him the LiveCD and the first question he asked was "Will I be able to access my websites?"

I told him "Of course, look, its Firefox. You use it in windows all the time."

He checked his bookmarks and said "They aren't there!"

That was the end of using Linux for him. I didn't push the issue.

AMD64_N_Linux
January 14th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Firefox--> Internet
GAIM--> AIM
Totem--> DVD Player

Or even

Just rename the icons on the desktop to internet aim and dvd player.

As far as that goes, take the icons from windows that they are used to, and make them the icons for the programs in linux. Just to help them out,

I know. I know, copyrights and all.

But I did see a thread here a few weeks ago where MSN had taken liberties with the Ubuntu logo.

AMD64_N_Linux
January 14th, 2006, 07:44 AM
My father is starting to show his age. I showed him the LiveCD and the first question he asked was "Will I be able to access my websites?"

I told him "Of course, look, its Firefox. You use it in windows all the time."

He checked his bookmarks and said "They aren't there!"

That was the end of using Linux for him. I didn't push the issue.

Cant you import "Favorites" and bookmarks from Windows to linux.

Anyone know of a program to do it, or is it supported in firefox natively.

ahood
January 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM
FYI -

I installed Ubuntu (Hoary) on a Compaq laptop for my parents (late 60's and early 70's), My parents live in Arizona and I live in New Hampshire. I spent quite a lot of time configuring the machine. Making icons and fonts large. Removing icons that they would not be interested. Really simplifying it for jus those tasks that they are interested (email, web browsing, music playing, photos, and letter writing). Making sure that bubble help was appropriate when the cursor placed over an icon. I put a picture on the desktop background that was actually a collage of photos of grandkids as an extra bit of attraction.

I flew out to Arizona to transfer their internet connection from dialup to cable. Because my parents hate wires, I went with a wireless cable modem, so that had to be configured as well on the Ubuntu laptop.

I spent 2 days instructing my parents on getting familiar with the desktop, and how to launch/use Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Firefox, Totem, gthumb viewer, etc.

It has been 5 months now and there hasn't been too many hiccups. Once or twice, the system froze. I recall another phone call when my parents couldn't browse the internet. The number of incidents has been less than 5 and in all cases, the issue was resolved by either rebooting the laptop or the cable modem.

I couldn't figure out how to configure the laptop remotely. Thank goodness Ubuntu linux is extremely stable and reliable. I couldn't do this with Windows, not a chance....

Hope this helps.

Dr. Hood

JimmyJazz
January 14th, 2006, 07:48 AM
the best thing is to figure out his needs and to customize the system as much as possible to meet his needs, then write a short guide of things you think he may ask. Also Automatix helps alot

DigitalDuality
January 14th, 2006, 07:48 AM

You can export the favorites in FF as an html file and re-import them anywhere you want. My favorites list is pretty extensive (probably around 400) and i have it nicely organized as a toolbar with the links in folders that are drop down menus... i keep the html on my thumbdrive and whenever i update it.. i update the thumbdrive file.

Allows me to have my bookmarks no matter where i'm at.

briancurtin
January 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM

natively

bookmarks > manage bookmarks > then go to file > export and it exports an HTML file, which you can import again on another version of firefox or on another OS. just what you are looking for

edit: i got beat, so my answer is the same pretty much

JimmyJazz
January 14th, 2006, 07:50 AM

you can import them in windows (its built into firefox) then copy your bookmarks.html file over to your linux install.

JimmyJazz
January 14th, 2006, 07:50 AM
ha ha, I got beat twice, damn

fuscia
January 14th, 2006, 08:04 AM

just copy the html file to a cd, floppy or whatever (i used my camera) and transfer them to linux. it's wicked simple.

Qrk
January 14th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Yes, I've done that before with Firefox and Thunderbird profiles.

But my point really was that anyone who can't make a bookmarks "switch" won't make an OS switch.

fuscia
January 14th, 2006, 08:24 AM
a lot of people just don't give a ****. they learned to do it a certain way and they don't want to be bothered learning it another way, even if it is better. there's just not that much that's visibly at stake for them.