PDA

View Full Version : Dell is the worst decision

skiold
May 26th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Hi everybody,

A year ago I bought a Vostro 1510 with Vista preinstalled.
I did format the laptop and installed Ubuntu. Everything worked nice but last week the internal web cam suddenly failed. This Vostro is still under guarantee (June 22-2009 expires).
I asked for the web cam reposition but Dell says I have to format the laptop and install Vista again because the PC was sold originally with Vista.
Is this correct? I mean, do I have to bend and let Microsoft to humiliate me? The reason is they don't accept Ubuntu's hardware diagnostics (i.e. lsusb command).
Dear Ubuntu users, if you are thinking to buy a Dell, please consider your decision.

Geetings from Colombia,

Skiold Niño.

PD
I will not give in favor of Microsof and it's empire of terror...

arsenic23
May 26th, 2009, 04:48 AM
That's not that bad. There are still a few companies out there that consider having linux on your machine an action that voids their warrenties.

You could tell them you paid a repair shop to dianose it and that they had also concluded that it was bad, but in all honesty if you send it to them with linux on it they may format it themselves since the low wage techs who repair it would have no idea how to test their work in linux.

TheNosh
May 26th, 2009, 04:59 AM
That's not that bad. There are still a few companies out there that consider having linux on your machine an action that voids their warrenties.

agreed, not voiding the warrenty is at least a step in the right direction on Dell's part. unless you baught something with linux preinstalled like a system 76 (or actually dell does offer that too) you generally can't expect them to support you without windows

pastalavista
May 26th, 2009, 05:04 AM
If you could get another laptop hard drive, you could install Windows on it and send it back. Swap Ubuntu back in when you get it back from Dell. But I agree with you 100%-- the software is irrelevant if the hardware doesn't work. They also sell laptops with Ubuntu installed so I don't see their point.. except greed.

kaibob
May 26th, 2009, 05:22 AM
That has been Dell's policy for quite a few years now. I just make a drive image of the Windows install when new and restore it if I have to in order to obtain service. I know it sucks, but I've had good luck with Dell machines and prefer to stick with them. I called Roadrunner about an internet problem the other day and they required Windows or Mac before they would address an internet problem. Being a Linux user isn't easy.

PmDematagoda
May 26th, 2009, 05:25 AM
This thread has been moved to the Community Cafe as it is not a support question.

Giant Speck
May 26th, 2009, 05:32 AM
You voided the warranty. What did you seriously expect to happen?

amingv
May 26th, 2009, 05:35 AM
If you could get another laptop hard drive, you could install Windows on it and send it back. Swap Ubuntu back in when you get it back from Dell. But I agree with you 100%-- the software is irrelevant if the hardware doesn't work. They also sell laptops with Ubuntu installed so I don't see their point.. except greed.

Wouldn't a HD change void the warranty?

arsenic23
May 26th, 2009, 05:43 AM
They also sell laptops with Ubuntu installed so I don't see their point.. except greed.

Well it is not really greed, its just doing business efficiantly.

The people that actually do warrenty work, (well most of it anyway), are not knoweverything epic engineers. They are relatively low paid undertrained techs (generally). They have a set method for dealing with pretty much any normal problem you might have and the only thing they are likely to know how to do when dealing with linux is to look up the normal procedure in a Dell reference manual. It would cost Dell alot to train techs to deal with linux installs on all of their hardware instead of just the machines they ship with Ubuntu.

ALSO they would more then likely want you to be using the Dell version of Ubuntu in cases where you bought a Dell PC with linux, though that is just a guess on my part, I have no experience with that particular issue.

aysiu
May 26th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I don't see what the big deal is, really.

You already "bend[ed]... to Microsoft" by buying a Windows-preinstalled computer. Just reinstall Vista and have them repair your computer.

Next time if you don't want to "bend" to Microsoft, buy a computer with Linux preinstalled on it.

arsenic23
May 26th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Not normally. Unless you have obviously knife to sensitive area you should be able to switch out the hard drive, RAM, battery, or CD-Rom yourself without voiding the warrenty on most namebrands.

CJ Master
May 26th, 2009, 05:47 AM

Please, this is not Star Wars.

spongypants23
May 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I had no problems when it came to contacting Dell support for a new hard drive. I supplied them with a copy of "badblocks -v /dev/sda" in English and they accepted it.

Maybe you just got a bad support guy?

pastalavista
May 26th, 2009, 06:44 AM
The ability to upgrade the hardware is promoted as a "feature". I don't think that making use of a feature is grounds for voiding the warranty.

Bruce S
May 26th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Not normally. Unless you have obviously knife to sensitive area you should be able to switch out the hard drive, RAM, battery, or CD-Rom yourself without voiding the warrenty on most namebrands.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

A purchased a Gateway brand computer 10 years ago that had a sticker that stated "Opening the case will void the warranty".

I get my rebuilds done at a local computer repair business , and the man there knows a bit about Linux!;)

Warpnow
May 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I think their request is perfectly reasonable.

Look, they can't expect all their hardware techs to be linux experts. They need to ensure its broken. It is entirely possible the webcam simply wasn't linux supported, and you thought it was broken and send it back. Just because that wasn't the case doesn't mean it wasn't possible.

Their techs need to ensure its broken, and then be able to test the new one once they install it. To do this, they need the operating system it was sold with. The one their techs know how to use and the one they have drivers for.

Mr-Biscuit
May 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Dell is a company that assembles components into usable appliances for both the residential and commercial sectors.

Your solution is to look at each of these individual components and see where the problem exists.

If it is the CPU, then complain to amd or intel.
Motherboard, asus, etc.
Graphics, S#, ati. nvidia, etc...
Understand?

Trust me, I'm not being an *** about this, I'm being practical.
And, as far as the evil empire is concerned:
As a model of software development, Microsoft is far from the best.
As a model of business, they are doing what is natural for any corporation.
You can look into capitalism, laissez-faire, trusts, etc.

Chame_Wizard
May 26th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Just build your own pc :grin:

michaeldt
May 26th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Hi everybody,

I did format the laptop and installed Ubuntu. Everything worked nice but last week the internal web cam suddenly failed. This Vostro is still under guarantee (June 22-2009 expires).
I asked for the web cam reposition but Dell says I have to format the laptop and install Vista again because the PC was sold originally with Vista.
Is this correct? I mean, do I have to bend and let Microsoft to humiliate me? The reason is they don't accept Ubuntu's hardware diagnostics (i.e. lsusb command).
Dear Ubuntu users, if you are thinking to buy a Dell, please consider your decision.

Geetings from Colombia,

Skiold Niño.

PD

Can't you just use CLoneZilla to duplicate your Ubuntu parition, then install vista, send it to them, then when it gets back just load up the backup?

gn2
May 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Or just buy a cheap USB webcam to save you the bother of sending it back for repair.

jespdj
May 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
If you bought the laptop with Windows Vista, then it's normal that Dell only supports Windows Vista on it. That's not Dell's fault and other manufacturers would do the same.

Next time, buy a laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed. Dell is one of the few manufacturers that sells computers with another OS than Windows pre-installed.

I don't see what the big deal is, really.

You already "bend[ed]... to Microsoft" by buying a Windows-preinstalled computer. Just reinstall Vista and have them repair your computer.

Next time if you don't want to "bend" to Microsoft, buy a computer with Linux preinstalled on it.
+1

Just build your own pc :grin:
That's a bit hard with a laptop...

mkrahmeh
May 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Dell is a company that assembles components into usable appliances for both the residential and commercial sectors.

Your solution is to look at each of these individual components and see where the problem exists.

If it is the CPU, then complain to amd or intel.
Motherboard, asus, etc.
Graphics, S#, ati. nvidia, etc...
Understand?

maybe Dell ddnt manufacture all these parts, but when i purchase an authentic laptop from a corp like Dell, i expect it to be thoroughly tested and guaranteed not to break for hardware incompatibilities, otherwise, i would assemble it myself !!!!

As a model of software development, Microsoft is far from the best.
As a model of business, they are doing what is natural for any corporation.
You can look into capitalism, laissez-faire, trusts, etc.
I agree

spoons
May 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I have a similar problem.

I'm going to return my Dell Studio laptop to dell, because the DVD drive has failed, I have Kubuntu and Vista on it. I'm going to have to get Kubuntu off without screwing up Vista or Dell will reject it. any ideas? (thanks btw)

OrangeCrate
May 26th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Hi everybody,

Geetings from Colombia,

Skiold Niño.

PD

Yes, that's correct.

See here for Dell's policy on this:

Will Installing Additional Hardware or Software on My Dell™ Computer Void My Warranty?

...you may be asked by a Dell technician when troubleshooting problems with your computer to remove any items added after it was shipped by Dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=AB69975A7B924478B9A32CDE462E70D1&c=us&l=en&s=gen

And that's that.

arsenic23
May 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I have a similar problem.

I'm going to return my Dell Studio laptop to dell, because the DVD drive has failed, I have Kubuntu and Vista on it. I'm going to have to get Kubuntu off without screwing up Vista or Dell will reject it. any ideas? (thanks btw)

They shouldn't. Just make Vista the first boot option in your bootloader and Dell won't have a problem with it.

Likewise, if it is just your optical drive you should be able to haggle them into sending you a replacement and letting you swap it out.

init1
May 27th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Or just buy a cheap USB webcam to save you the bother of sending it back for repair.
He shouldn't have to, but in reality, it would probably be the easiest choice.

Twitch6000
May 27th, 2009, 01:23 AM

You could tell them you paid a repair shop to dianose it and that they had also concluded that it was bad, but in all honesty if you send it to them with linux on it they may format it themselves since the low wage techs who repair it would have no idea how to test their work in linux.

I agree with this statement.

mtbsoft
May 27th, 2009, 02:31 AM
While I don't agree with the Dell approach, in this case I agree with the cloning suggestions

I generally recommend buying the laptop with the smallest harddrive available and rip that out as soon as the unit arrives, swapping it for a decent drive that you can do what you like with.

Should there be an issue with the hardware you can just reinstall the drive to reset the unit back to original state - it makes for easier dignostics from their point of view; it is also safer because, chances are, they're going to wipe the drive when they get it anyway.

hanzomon4
May 27th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Sorry but... next time buy a dell with Ubuntu pre-installed. It's understandable that they would want it back as they sold it. Plus you already "bent" over and let MS take your money. If you had no choice that's one thing but Dell sells Ubuntu laptops so...

cprofitt
May 27th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Hi everybody,

Geetings from Colombia,

Skiold Niño.

PD

You could use their diagnostic CD and see what that tells you... or use Windows PE and see if they will accept that...

aschwerin.moses
May 27th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I have worked with Dell and HP's tech support... well yes, both manufacturers have the same policy.. cant help.. this is unfair but common among most computer manufacturer's.. some policy crap...

jespdj
May 27th, 2009, 12:28 PM
this is unfair but common among most computer manufacturer's.. some policy crap...
This is not unfair. Suppose you would install Mac OS X on your Dell laptop, or BSD, or some other more obscure operating system. Should Dell then still help you with it if you have a problem? You can't expect Dell support to know every possible OS that exists. It's completely understandable that they will only help you when the laptop is in its original configuration.

Tristam Green
May 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM

This made me giggle and wince at the same time.

Cmon, they're not *that* bad. Steve's not wearing a suit of black armor and breathing heavily, aside from when throwing chairs.

No, the request was not out of line. You have an image CD that Dell supplies you with just for that occasion. Back up ~/username to a flash drive, reinstall Vista, and be done with it.

mkendall
May 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
This is not unfair. Suppose you would install Mac OS X on your Dell laptop, or BSD, or some other more obscure operating system. Should Dell then still help you with it if you have a problem?

If it's faulty hardware, then yes, Dell should help with the problem.

aysiu
May 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM
If it's faulty hardware, then yes, Dell should help with the problem.
But the only way for them to know it's the hardware is if the original software is in place.

Bios Element
May 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
But the only way for them to know it's the hardware is if the original software is in place.

And the only way they can know that is with vista which is 'known' to work as it was pre-installed. Get over it. You decided to remove vista, don't expect help from dell. It's not their job to deal with you when using an OS that wasn't pre-installed.

hanzomon4
May 27th, 2009, 11:27 PM

Serial numbers? but no I agree totally reasonable, they may only be able to diagnose the problem on windows

Giant Speck
May 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM
See, I don't think this is specifically an issue with Windows.

Dell sells several models of computers with Ubuntu installed on them. I'm sure installing another distro voids the warranties of those computers, too.

wsonar
May 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM
system 76.....

aysiu
May 28th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Serial numbers? but no I agree totally reasonable, they may only be able to diagnose the problem on windows
No, meaning the problem is hardware-related, not meaning the hardware is the hardware purchased and not some substitute hardware.

mtbsoft
May 29th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I'm sure installing another distro voids the warranties of those computers, too.
Strickly speaking it does not VOID the warranty, it excludes it until you can prove the warranty issue is not software related. Unfortunately, their T&C require that you put the original O/S back on in order to prove that.

I have had to have a power supply (over-heating) and a DVD drive (noisy) replaced under warrantly and, since neither required a particular software configuration to confirm the faults, they did not even bother to ask what software was on the laptops, they simply sent the replacements.