PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UBuntu OS - Copying text & image from Firefox to Openoffice - takes time & bad format

daaussie
May 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Has anyone had success in working out why the copy/paste function from firefox html page to open office writer doesn't paste the image properly? It seems to create a hyper link for where each image should be and takes a very very long time to paste.

I end up having to delete the hyper link, then go back to firefox and copy each image and paste directly into the appropriate position.

This is time consuming and frustrating process - particularly when there are lots of images.

I have tried all the paste options as well, such as paste html without comments and none works.

This did not happen when i used IE MS Office with Vista OS.

IDeas?;)

73ckn797
May 26th, 2009, 04:14 AM
This did not happen when i used IE MS Office with Vista OS.
IDeas?;)

That is because you are no longer using MS Office and Vista.

I have dealt with the same basic situation but have learned to just adapt. It now seems normal to have to take a few extra steps to accomplish the same thing, copying from Firefox into OO3.0, from when I was copying and pasting from IE to MS Office XP.

Things are different in Ubuntu/Linux and you will just have to get used to those differences or go back to the other.

daaussie
May 27th, 2009, 03:25 AM
well that's not very helpful, except it does confirm my experience.

what we need is a solution to this.

Is there some reason why firefox copy function is programmed to load the image in this way. or is it the paste feature within Openoffice that does this?

73ckn797
May 27th, 2009, 10:29 AM
well that's not very helpful, except it does confirm my experience.

what we need is a solution to this.

Is there some reason why firefox copy function is programmed to load the image in this way. or is it the paste feature within Openoffice that does this?

I believe that it is just the difference between IE and FF and then MS Office and OO. Again, probably not much help. When I would copy from FF to MS I had to deal with the same format issues. Pretty much the same as copying from FF to OO. I do not know how to fix it and since the little extra effort is not so great I go on my merry way. The alternative, quick fix is to go back to XP. I have grown accustomed to Ubuntu and really prefer it now.

You may want to go to the OO forums and ask around there.

plewisfdx
May 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Have you tried this Firefox extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4554)?

It looks like it will do what you want.

73ckn797
May 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Have you tried this Firefox extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4554)?

It looks like it will do what you want.

That feature is basically already available in OO and makes no difference for text whether HTML or unformatted. I tried it out before myself.