PDA

View Full Version : Burn Ubuntu cd to flash disk?

Camilia
May 26th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Due to hardware problems unable to burn ubuntu onto CD on my mother's computer with os windows xp.

Was wonder for next visit if I can burn ubuntu CD, which I have at home, onto a flash disk.

g00f
May 26th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Boot off a live CD on your PC and go to System, Administration, USB Startup disk creator. Is that what you want?

If it's not there do "sudo apt-get install usb-creator".

Camilia
May 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Boot off a live CD on your PC and go to System, Administration, USB Startup disk creator. Is that what you want?

If it's not there do "sudo apt-get install usb-creator".

Yes!! I shall try it when I get home.

hesapotman
May 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
There are a few ways to do it ... But you can skip the CD completely and just create your Ubuntu Live USB using an ISO image of Ubuntu and a Windows program called "Ubuntu Live USB Imager". It allows you to create a bootable USB directly from Windows.

http://phatwares.dyndns.org:8080/contentUU.html

Good luck!

Camilia
May 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
you can skip the CD completely and just create your Ubuntu Live USB using an ISO image of Ubuntu and a Windows program called "Ubuntu Live USB Imager". http://phatwares.dyndns.org:8080/contentUU.html

Good luck!

Very interesting!!\\:D/ I shall try it later!

Will it be installed as a program and easily removed after finished using it? For have found that some programs impossible to remove and generate icons. Can't take a chance that would happen on mom's computer.

Camilia
May 27th, 2009, 04:43 AM

Looking at this site more and more becoming waring of downloading it for it has a lot of nasty advertisements. Will google for another link for similar program.

Camilia
May 27th, 2009, 04:50 AM
http://phatwares.dyndns.org:8080/contentUU.html[/url]

Looking at this site more and more becoming waring of downloading it for it has a lot of nasty advertisements. Will google for another link for similar program.

I think I found one called uSbuntu Live Creator. It is supports Ubuntu 8.10, Kubuntu 8.10 and Xubuntu 8.10. Thus now have to download ubuntu 8.10.

sgosnell
May 27th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Just boot from the live CD, choose to try Ubuntu without making any changes to the computer, then open System/Administration/USB Startup Disk Creator. Nothing else is needed, nothing needs to be put on the HDD of the computer.

hesapotman
May 27th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Very interesting!!\\:D/ I shall try it later!

Will it be installed as a program and easily removed after finished using it? For have found that some programs impossible to remove and generate icons. Can't take a chance that would happen on mom's computer.

No installer - just a standalone application.

hesapotman
May 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Well ... sorry you don't like the ads. But that's how the site makes money. Ubuntu might be free, but servers are not.

The application is 100% free and contains no such ads. Also, it does Kubuntu and Xubuntu just like the other app you mentioned.

hesapotman
May 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Just boot from the live CD, choose to try Ubuntu without making any changes to the computer, then open System/Administration/USB Startup Disk Creator. Nothing else is needed, nothing needs to be put on the HDD of the computer.

As the original poster said, "Due to hardware problems unable to burn ubuntu onto CD ..."

So that won't work. Otherwise, you're absolutely correct about how it would be done under normal circumstances.

Camilia
May 27th, 2009, 05:27 PM
The application is 100% free and contains no such ads. Also, it does Kubuntu and Xubuntu just like the other app you mentioned.

Thanks for the headup. I shall try it! For having problem getting ubuntu 8.10 downloaded

g00f
May 28th, 2009, 03:19 AM
As the original poster said, "Due to hardware problems unable to burn ubuntu onto CD ..."

So that won't work. Otherwise, you're absolutely correct about how it would be done under normal circumstances.

It says on the left he's running Ubuntu (I assume on his PC, not his mothers), so if he does a "sudo apt-get install usb-creator" and has an .iso available he can do it that way without needing a CD/DVD drive at all.

Camilia
May 28th, 2009, 05:39 AM
It says on the left he's running Ubuntu (I assume on his PC, not his mothers), so if he does a "sudo apt-get install usb-creator" and has an .iso available he can do it that way without needing a CD/DVD drive at all.

I don't comprehend this comment. I am in another state using my mother's computer that has windows xp os. There is no terminal to paste a sudo command.

sgosnell
May 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM
As you said in the original post, you can make a USB live disk at home, and install it during your next visit. If you already have Ubuntu installed at home, it's quick and easy to make a live USB drive. If you have access to a Ubuntu .iso at your mother's, you can use unetbootin to make a USB install disk.

Camilia
May 31st, 2009, 07:52 AM
I don't have a usb or excess to store to buy one here thus just have to make one for next trip. Impossible to copy anything onto a CD either.

Thank you everyone.