PDA

View Full Version : looking for a camera to photograph documents

pytheas22
May 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I haven't bought a digital camera in six years, and need a new one whose chief function will be photographing documents in archives (which may not always be well lit). The essentials are that the camera be able to take clear photographs that I can read later on my computer without a problem. Easy Ubuntu compatibility would also be nice, and I'd like to spend as little money as possible. Any suggestions on what I should look for?

steveneddy
May 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I haven't bought a digital camera in six years, and need a new one whose chief function will be photographing documents in archives (which may not always be well lit). The essentials are that the camera be able to take clear photographs that I can read later on my computer without a problem. Easy Ubuntu compatibility would also be nice, and I'd like to spend as little money as possible. Any suggestions on what I should look for?

Um, no offense, but a scanner would do the job a lot better than a camera.

And you can get a lot higher resolution with a scanner than a camera while still staying perfectly in focus.

Scanners run $100 US dollars or less.

But if a scanner won't work, there is a line of Kodak cameras at WalMart that should do the trick.

pytheas22
May 25th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Um, no offense, but a scanner would do the job a lot better than a camera.

I agree, but a scanner is not a possibility, because 1) it's not portable and 2) I might not be allowed to scan fragile documents.

steveneddy
May 25th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I agree, but a scanner is not a possibility, because 1) it's not portable and 2) I might not be allowed to scan fragile documents.

Go get one of the Kodak digital cameras from Walmart then.

High resolution, good optics and great price.

Should do the job just fine.

If you need more camera, then just go to a good camera store and spend as much as you feel that you need to.

The Kodak cams have plenty of mega pixels to handle the job.

richg
May 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM
You mentioned, possibly poor light. Some digital cameras are not very good of close up of different items. The flash does not always give good coverage. I sometimes use a bounce flash attachment. I have a Canon PowerShot A590 with close up lens that does a decent photo. You have to purchase a lens adapter and close up lens. The lens was about twenty inches away from the 8 1/2" X 11" document.
Using no close up lens was not as good, clear print. You have to watch out for shadows.

The photo was taken at 1/20, F2.6, no flash I used the Manual option. I am not very good at taking photos or modifying them sometimes. Good luck. I purchased the Camera on line for about $110.00 US funds.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/richg1998/Misc/CanonA590withcloseuplense.jpg

Rich

pytheas22
May 26th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Rich: thanks for the tip. I am worried about lighting being an issue. I think my best bet may be to go to a store where I can try different ones to see how they perform at close range and in different lighting conditions.

oldsoundguy
May 26th, 2009, 05:46 AM
echo the capability of bounce flash .. direct flash may NOT be allowed in an archive storage for one, and direct flash is useless on very light or faded printing.

Cutsy digital pocket cameras are fine for doing eBay auctions .. but an SLR will get you much better results once you get the hang of using one. Both Cannon and Nikon make excellent SLR cameras.
And, IF you buy from your local camera shop, good chance you can get into an instruction class for free to help you get started!

dcast
May 26th, 2009, 05:57 AM
You might want to have a look at this, might harbour some valuable information. I definitely recommend a canon with CHDK, which was used in this project.

http://hackaday.com/2009/04/20/high-speed-book-scanner-from-trash/

kevdog
May 26th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Do you need a flash, or do you have a tripod where you can adjust aperture settings to accomodate for the lack of light?

fatality_uk
May 26th, 2009, 08:47 AM
You need a tripod and a camera that has some element of manual setting. I would try and use a natural light, close to an open window and use a light reflector, you can make your own using instructions like this:

http://diyphotography.net/homestudio/blz/cheap-diy-reflector-stand

http://www.sublime-light.com/index.php/2007/08/10/diy-make-your-own-light-reflector-for-5/

This will give a softer even light.

If you have a SD card reader on your PC/laptop then obviously an SD card camera will make life much easier as you can just drag them onto your HD.

This is a great little site: http://www.subchaser.org/photographing-documents

this setup with a decent digital camera that has a good manual setting will work wonders :D

hanzomon4
May 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
You need a camera you can set to manual, a tripod, shutter release card thing (don't know the proper name for these). I'd keep the iso slow and just drop the shutter speed and aperture. Honestly I would use two cameras, a digital and a film... Digital to test my exposer settings and film for the archival shot. I would go with film because it contains more information then digital and the negatives, properly stored, can last a very long time.

ssam
May 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM
get a tripod, and use a remote shutter release or timer to reduce vibrations.

if you want good quality in low light you may need an SLR as they have much bigger sensors.

hanzomon4
May 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
If money is no concern grab a mamyia 645 with a phase one back like this one (http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/14/phase-one-p65-60-megapixel-digital-back-doesnt-know-the-meanin/). Oomg.... I'm getting dizzy

Pasdar
May 26th, 2009, 11:51 AM
If you want something small and unnoticeable, I use to use my Sony Ericsson K810i (mobile phone) to take high quality photo's of documents without anyone noticing anything. :D