PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Trouble installing from anything

RYjet911
May 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'm trying to install the 9.04 version of Ubuntu Studio. I have downloaded the ISO from the proper website, yet every method I've tried simply does not work. I've wasted two DVDs and tried a USB install.

With the DVDs, I get an error of something like "Unable to mount disc image" (Will give more specific error when I next attempt it) then tells me (As the only possible reason) that I haven't put the CD in. Well no ****, I wouldn't have got to that stage without it!

Then with USB, it kept trying to use the DVD drive. Upon satisfying it by putting one in, I obtained the same error as above. I followed a guide online to get the USB installer working, and it did until it got past selecting my keyboard layout.

I've got really two questions
1) Can anyone help on getting the installer to recognise the own disc it is on?
2) How come the only download on the Ubuntu Studio site is for an "Alternative" installer?

merlinus
May 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Have you done a checksum for your .iso to ensure the download is not corrupted? Did you burn it as a disc image (not as a data disc), at a slow speed?

RYjet911
May 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I did burn it as a disc image, and I did it at a slow speed. Although I burnt standard ubuntu at max speed and everything on there works fine (And don't suggest upgrading to Studio through Ubuntu because it didn't work properly last time I tried, the very reason I'm installing through DVD)

I also have no idea what a checksum is or how to perform one.

merlinus
May 25th, 2009, 10:42 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

RYjet911
May 25th, 2009, 10:48 PM
The checksum is fine according to winMd5Sum

merlinus
May 25th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Have you tried burning the .iso to a CD rather than a DVD?

RYjet911
May 25th, 2009, 10:56 PM
The ISO is 1.3 gigs, it won't fit on a CD

merlinus
May 25th, 2009, 11:08 PM
OK. Another suggestion is to install Ubuntu 9.04, and then add the other software that comes with Studio via Synaptic. That .iso will fit on a CD.

albinootje
May 25th, 2009, 11:14 PM
OK. Another suggestion is to install Ubuntu 9.04, and then add the other software that comes with Studio via Synaptic. That .iso will fit on a CD.

Good plan, you can use this command for that after the Ubuntu installation :

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop

RYjet911
May 25th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help :)