PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot ubuntu and vista...help

Endless Dementia
May 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Ok, First off, hello everyone. This is my first time using these forums. I'm trying to dual boot vista and ubuntu well... because I want to use ubuntu because I'm tired of vista problems and I have more than enough disk space on my laptop to dual boot.

I have made the live CD and now and at the part where I need to make a partition for ubuntu.

Here is a picture of my disks. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34511578@N08/3561329517/sizes/l/) I want to put ubuntu on the F section of disk 1.
I have absolutely no idea how to partition and I need help

After I create a separate partition, I understand that I have to do something to the master boot record, or something and I have no idea how to do any of that so I'm going to need more help there also.

I have looked into wubi but the reasons I don't want to use wubi are that it was made for XP and I heard that there are problems uninstalling it on vista. I also heard that it is slower than if you dual booted and that it affects how fast vista is. I'm a big gamer and I don't want my game performance to suffer. Is this stuff true?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank You.

Mark Phelps
May 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I'm nervous that three of your partitions are exactly the same size and format -- implying that you have a RAID setup. Can you at least confirm that is NOT true before you proceed?

Also, strongly suggest you boot from a LiveCD to see how well it detects your hardware and loads your drivers -- especially video and wireless LAN.

ronparent
May 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I personally have little concern of the presence of a raid set. The partiotion picture shows five definitive partitions on two disks. It is still an excellent suggestion to try ubuntu from a live cd before installing it. That does smoke out most incompatibilities.