PDA

View Full Version : Best app for bulk resizing of images for uploading?

blue carrot
May 25th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hi guys,
Just a quick question...I know how to resize images one by one in GIMP etc. but is there a good app that makes it easy to resize a whole selection of images from within a folder for bulk resizing?

Any tips much appreciated!
Cheers

Paqman
May 25th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yep, just get the nautilus-image-converter plugin. You can select as many pics as you like in Nautilus and resize them all in one go.

monsterstack
May 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
There's a terminal app that does all that called convert. You could do this:

for x in *.jpg; do convert -resize 50% "$x" size/thumb-"$x"; done

which would take all of the jpegs in the current folder, reduce them to 50% of the original size, and put them into the subfolder "size/". The originals will not be changed.

artir
May 25th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Phatch

blue carrot
May 25th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hi paqman, I downloaded the nautilus-image-converter plugin, but to be honest I am a complete noob and im not actually too sure where to find nautilus itself? it doesnt appear in my 'applications' drop down menu anywhere. sorry for the noobness!

mxboy15u
May 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM
There may be an easier way but I just use the export feature of Google Picasa, it allows for batch quality changes and resize.

Paqman
May 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hi paqman, I downloaded the nautilus-image-converter plugin, but to be honest I am a complete noob and im not actually too sure where to find nautilus itself? it doesnt appear in my 'applications' drop down menu anywhere. sorry for the noobness!

Nautilus is the default Gnome file browser. Open any folder and "viola", you're using Nautilus. You should now be able to converter images from a right-click.

Sorry, should have mentioned that one.

0per4t0r
May 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I use gimp for resizing. Works good enough for me. Anyway, if you're just uploading images, tinypic can resize them for you when you upload them.

n2dabloo
May 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Nautilus is the default Gnome file browser. Open any folder and "viola", you're using Nautilus. You should now be able to converter images from a right-click.

Sorry, should have mentioned that one.

I downloaded the image converter from Synaptics, opened a photo, right clicked and, there is no option for resizing. I looked in Applications/Grahpics as well, no image converter. Do I have to start this in Terminal for it to work?

binbash
May 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Phatch

ftabor
May 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Yep, just get the nautilus-image-converter plugin. You can select as many pics as you like in Nautilus and resize them all in one go.

I installed the plugin, but I don't seem to be able to find the dialog to resize under right-click or any of the menus. What am I doing wrong?

lovinglinux
May 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM
+1 for Phatch

hessiess
May 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Image magic.

Paqman
May 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I downloaded the image converter from Synaptics, opened a photo, right clicked and, there is no option for resizing. I looked in Applications/Grahpics as well, no image converter. Do I have to start this in Terminal for it to work?

I installed the plugin, but I don't seem to be able to find the dialog to resize under right-click or any of the menus. What am I doing wrong?

Not sure. Try logging out and back in. You might just need to restart Nautilus.

hessiess: nautilus-image-converter actually uses imagemagick.

ftabor
May 26th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Logging out and logging back in did it. Restarting Nautilus didn't work.

rax_m
May 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Another +1 for Phatch if you want to use a gui.
ImageMagik works well too if you don't mind the cli.