PDA

View Full Version : What kind of mp3 player do you have.

Omnios
January 14th, 2006, 04:40 AM
This may prove interesting.

What kind of mp3 player do you have?

Does it work properly in Ubuntu?

:.As requested by BWF89.: Does it have OGG support?

WHat did you go though to get it working in Ubuntu?

Personaly I bought a Creative Zen Micro two days ago and not shure what firmware was installed on it when I bought it. Aperently there are two versions of the firm where the regular that works in Linux and another that is called Playforshure what only seems to work in wIndows. I installed the windows software and foudn I could not get it working in Ubuntu. After checking the creative site I found out abouth the otehr firmware version that works in Linux and installed. Now it works verywell in Ubuntu and im pretty impressed with it though I mostly bought it to listen to music when I go walking and do not have a huge music collection so dought Iwill fill up the 6Gig drive. I must say the sound quality is better than my PC's speakers and sometimes I feal imersed in the music.

darkoptix
January 14th, 2006, 04:46 AM
I have a dead Sony Mp3 Player... One of the worst players I have owned. First, there is absolutly no Linux support, and the windows support is horrible. Takes long to transfers songs, and the buttons seems to break, or not as sensitive or something. I said this player is dead because I took it for a walk in the rain and now it doesn't turn on anymore. Overall, I would not recommend this player to anyone, especially if they use linux.

briancurtin
January 14th, 2006, 04:51 AM
ipod

yes

i forgot

downloaded gtkpod, plugged it in

xequence
January 14th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Sony NW-E107

1GB flash player. I dont like sony.

As the person said before, no linux support, horrible windows support.

I phoned them when the software wouldent work. They said it was a hardware problem and wanted me to take it to Sony Of Canada HQ. I did. A couple days later they phoned me telling me when my computer updates it makes it uncompatable so I need to download a patch for it. I said "what do you mean update?". They said "when you are connected to the internet it automatically downloads updates". I said "nope, I turned that off." They told me to download this patch for XP when I have 2000, they said to download it anyway. I did. Wouldent install, something about a wrong OS version -.- I found a win 2000 version of it on their site.

aysiu
January 14th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I have a Sandisk 256 MB MP3 player and the only thing I did to get it working with Ubuntu was plug it in.

BWF89
January 14th, 2006, 05:10 AM
@ Omnios: You should have added "Does it have OGG support" to your list of qualifications.

matthew
January 14th, 2006, 05:41 AM
What kind of mp3 player do you have? Cowon iAudio M5 (20Gb, 3/4 full!)
Here's a link: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/m5/ (http://www.iaudio.com)
The tech specs page mentions Linux specifically which is why I bought this one.

Does it work properly in Ubuntu?perfectly

:.As requested by BWF89.: Does it have OGG support?Yes, also flac, mp3, wav, wmv and maybe more

WHat did you go though to get it working in Ubuntu?Plugged it in. It automounts as a USB mass storage device.

augied
January 14th, 2006, 06:48 AM
I currently own a very beat up Rio Karma.
mp3, vorbis, flac, wav, wma (drm)
No linux usb support, but it has a java app. that lets you access it through ethernet.

I'm considering buying an iaudio x5

Iandefor
January 14th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I have an Ipod. It doesn't work in Ubuntu in terms of writing to it (It seems to mount it as a read-only disc and nothing I have done thus far has worked), but it's moot, since I keep all my music on it. I just plug it in and play the music straight from it, which cuts down on my hard drive usage.

To the best of my knowledge, Ipods don't support ogg vorbis without podzilla.

PatrickMay16
January 14th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I have a samsung YP-U1. It supports Ogg Vorbis. It stores about 1GB of stuff.
It works as a removable USB drive, so you can use it with pretty much anything.

zugvogel
January 14th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I have a 1GB IAUDIO5. I specifically bought it because it said it was supported by linux. And that was true - it was just plug-and-play. And it supports ogg, which an increasing amount of my (rather small) collection of music is in.

dosed150
January 14th, 2006, 09:29 AM
mines a 6gb rio carbon it just mounts as a usb drive and i can drag and drop my music onto it doesnt support ogg

grte
January 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM
5 GB Motorola M500. Automounts as a USB-mass storage device, and works perfectly.

Sadly, no ogg support.

endersshadow
January 14th, 2006, 02:12 PM
iPod Video.

Works perfectly in Ubuntu. This is how I did it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=114946). Though it doesn't play OGG, all of my files are in MP3 format anyway, from my Windows days.

rubinstein
January 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I have a 1GB IAUDIO5. I specifically bought it because it said it was supported by linux. And that was true - it was just plug-and-play. And it supports ogg, which an increasing amount of my (rather small) collection of music is in.

I have a 1GB Cowon IAUDIO G3 and can recommend it to everyone. It supports a lot of formats, including (as said before) Ogg Vorbis. It is a USB mass storage thing. It also has an fm radio receiver built in and you can use normal AA batteries, they last 40-50 hours.

It seems that Cowon iaudio http://eng.iaudio.com/ really is a good option for portable audio for linux.

The only thing I don't like: You can't update the firmware under Ubuntu, you have to use Windows for that (fortunately a firmware update is not a must).

vertigo
January 14th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I have a 40gig Creative Nomad JukeBox, Zen Extra

Not sure if it works with Ubuntu not tried it yet (but the wifes on XP if it doesn't)

No Ogg support

Its a very nice player and I still havent managed to fill it although I'm working on it.:D

sandy_marshall
January 15th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I have a Cowon Iaudio5 (1 GB). Works fine with Ubuntu using drag and drop and plays any ogg file I have tried (normally ripped at q2).

Only problem is that Windows is still required to update the firmware or even reformat the space (I have tried using mkdosfs for formatting but the Iaudio5 doesn't like it).

Sound quality and features are excellent (and even the provided earbuds are good).

poofyhairguy
January 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM
And iPod and a small USB MP3 player. Neither play Ogg (bad boy I am) but both work.

The small one works really well.

adriantry
January 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM

I have a 30GB Netac iMuz.
http://www.netac.com/products_show/digital_c700.htm
I'm very happy with this device. It sounds great, and the battery lasts much longer than my old iPod - maybe twice as long or more. However, it's software is more primitive, but sufficient and workable.

Yes.

Does it have OGG support?

Yes. I specifically bought it because it does have OGG support. I'm extremely happy with the sound of OGG, as well as the feeling of freedom.

Absolutely nothing. It mounts as USB storage, and I copy the files on.

By the way, my old iPod worked great with Ubuntu. I used gtkpod to synchronise the ipod with my music collection. It worked great, but synching was much slower than using iTunes in Windows or Mac.

TeeAhr1
January 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Sony Discman. Push the button, the top pops open, you put the coaster-looking thingy inside until it clicks, then press play. Archaic, I know. I also play records at home(!)

frodon
January 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM
archos gmini 402 (http://www.archos.com/products/pc_centric/gmini_402/index.html?country=global&lang=en).

no problem with ubuntu, nothing to install, no need to install a software to load mp3 or videos and no ogg support.

I really advice it ;)

psoleko
January 16th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I burn data CDs songs and podcasts in mp3, my cars head unit supports mp3 so I have no need for anything else. Basically, since I am on the road all day this serves me best.

AndyCooll
January 16th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Wish I'd read this thread before bought the wife's MP3 player. Is a Sony and have quickly realized what a poor choice was made.

Had another one (Can't remember, Riva I think) That was ok, acted like a USB stick. However, had a problem with it and had to return it to the shop. They didn't have any replacements so the wife chose another... this Sony.

Sound is ok, but... can't use it on Linux. And even on ******* can only load files using the damn "Connect". You can drag and drop, but then when you power it up it says no files installed even though it is full of them.

And surprise surprise it won't play Ogg.

Moral of the story... avoid Sony :mad:

purdy hate machine
January 16th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I recently brought an IRiver H10 (6gb) It’s a wonderful little player but it originally comes tied to Windows media player in order to transfer music. However by holding down the “o” button as the player boots up you can restore UMS mode allowing Linux to recognise the player as a removable storage device, then it’s just drag and drop your music onto the player. :cool:

IRIVER H10 (http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/hd/h10_6gb.aspx)

Gustav
January 16th, 2006, 02:45 PM
SanDisc 512 mb

Works wolderful in Ubuntu and automounts as a usb mass storage device.

It doesn't have OGG tough :(

Pancetilla
January 16th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I've got an Iaudio X5 L 20 G. by Cowon

Iaudio X5 (http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/x5/)

It reads OGG and it doesn't use propietary software to move/remove songs and everything, so it works wonderfully under Ubuntu as a usbdisk. It plays video too.

Pretty expensive, but the audio quality is great, better than Creative (have not tried Ipods)...with a great pair of headphones (Sennheiser PX-100).

s1gnAl
January 16th, 2006, 04:07 PM
5th gen iPod with video support.
Not sure if it works with Ubuntu, haven't tried yet.

dosed150
January 16th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I recently brought an IRiver H10 (6gb) It’s a wonderful little player but it originally comes tied to Windows media player in order to transfer music. However by holding down the “o” button as the player boots up you can restore UMS mode allowing Linux to recognise the player as a removable storage device, then it’s just drag and drop your music onto the player. :cool:

if id realised this i may have got one my sister has one though

cbudden
January 16th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I got a Creative Zen for Christmas and with a bit of fiddling I got it to work. Now it works it is fine but unfortunatly it does not play OGG, but glows blue instead.

kassetra
January 17th, 2006, 04:55 AM
What kind of mp3 player do you have? ahhhh, two ipods (nano and mini), a mobiblu cube, and a digisette duo.

Does it work properly in Ubuntu? nano = no; mini = yes; cube = 100% perfectly; duo = are you kidding me?

Does it have OGG support? hmmm since I'm not really a fan of ogg, no. The cube has flac support though (quite by accident)... and the rest of them, not a chance.

WHat did you go though to get it working in Ubuntu? the mini: gnupod (gtkpod nearly killed my mini)
the cube: not a thing - I plugged it in, it worked, I dragged folders of music to it, it plays them.

nano requires my ibook (for now); duo requires windows xp, period.

I have to say, after using the ipods and the cube (the duo is only good in my old car with the tape deck in it,) I prefer the cube...completely. Not a single issue with the cube and I've not only dropped it three times, it's also on my keychain... poor thing!

The ipod nano... yeah... it sits in a case in one of my bags.... oh I'll use it... if the cube needs to be recharged... but it's such a hassle, and I don't dare breathe on it for fear it might scratch. heh.

InsaneSith
January 17th, 2006, 05:43 AM
I have a Creative Labs Zen Touch 20gb.

Yes it works with Ubuntu, all I had to get was Gnomad2.

niobe_logos
January 17th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Samsung YP-MT6.

I did nothing to get it working. The Samsung loads in Ubuntu as a USB drive, and plays OGG files as well as MP3s. I understand most of Samsung's YEPP series will work.

Vlammetje
January 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I have an iPod Shuffle which I have yet to try on Ubuntu but I have no reason to suspect that it wouldn't work.

No OGG support, which is something I shall be lookin at for my next music player if I ever get one (as I will be a train commuter very soon I think I will; get one with more memory). the iPod was a gift so I'm pleased with it anyway :KS

dosed150
January 17th, 2006, 07:03 PM
theres a new firmware update for my mp3 player even though the company havent made mp3 players since last year but the updater doesnt work on linux luckily i can use my sisters laptop

Lovechild
January 17th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Archos Recorder 10 with Rockbox

BWF89
January 18th, 2006, 12:54 AM
My mom has a Creative Zen Touch. Seems to work allright. Only downside is that it doens't support OGG.

Rumor
January 18th, 2006, 03:11 AM

I really shouldn't reply to this thread, but knowing in advance that I am not giving the "right" answer has never stopped me before, so . . .

What kind of mp3 player do you have? I used to have a Rio Nitrus 1.5 gig player that I loved. It died last year. It was small enough to carry in a shirt pocket and I probably listened to 100 audio books on it.

Now I have this (http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=DVA-9860) one. It is small enough to be carried in my truck :D

Making it work with ubuntu is as simple as burning an MP3 CD/DVD and popping it in. No ogg support, but that's not really an issue for me.

drizek
January 18th, 2006, 03:20 AM

Iriver IFP-180T w/USB mass storage firmware. Yes, nothing. no, sadly

2. Dell Axim x30. Yes, but only with an external card reader. It supports just about any format.

vliegvark
January 20th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I just go myself a Iaudio X5 zupper toy works on ubuntu and suse ,only the video want the jetshell software but for the rest just plug-in and GO the only other one to get is the Iriver h320 or H340 stay away from the H10

fishmorg909
February 2nd, 2006, 06:18 AM
Got a 512 MB Sandisk player -- works fine in Ubuntu. (First time I plugged in the USB, it didn't show on desktop. Then I went to Places > Computer and plugged it in again... it appeared in the window and on the desktop.)

No, no ogg, just MP3 and WMA.

blackbeastofaarrgh
February 2nd, 2006, 07:15 AM
RCA Lyra mini (or something like that). 4 gigs. It works, and the battery life is acceptable.
Plug it in, Ubuntu detects it. Works.
I've never tried ogg on it... I should.

jasay
February 2nd, 2006, 07:36 AM
iRiver iFP-895 (512mb flash)
Updated firmware to act as a usbdrive and now it works fine in Ubuntu.
Supports OGG, in fact, that's all that's on it.

toorima
February 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM
Sony Ericsson K750 with 1gb and the HPM-70 headset http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp4_1_1&zone=pp&lm=pp4_1&pid=10254
that headset is a dream.
Haven't tried ogg with it yet.

ap9er
February 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Gameboy Mirco + Play-Yan Mirco.
It uses SD cards, and given the Ubuntu's somewhat lack of support with SD cards it's not perfectly compatible. But that could be on my end, haven't investigated further -- I can mount the card, but it tends not to write correctly.
Not sure about ogg, would have to boot into XP to test out (as given above) and that is something I'm not in a hurry to do :)

agapito
February 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
I have a 512Mb Creative Zen Nano Plus (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=12720). It mounts itself as a usb mass storage device so, it works great with any linux distro. That's a sine qua non condition to buy anything since I only use linux (i.e. Ubuntu :) ). It just plays mp3, wav and that wma thing..., but that's ok. All my music is in mp3 format, and it's easy to convert any format to mp3.

Seq
February 3rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
I have an older iRiver ihp-120 20GB. It mounts as a removable disk, and supports ogg (I would not have purchased otherwise)

isaacf
February 3rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
I have a 30GB iPod Video. Music transfer works perfectly. I haven't tried to transfer videos. There was no trick to get it working. I just had to install gtkpod. It automounted with a neat little icon on the desktop, something that no other distro I've tried has done.

BitTorrentBuddha
February 21st, 2006, 01:31 AM
dell dj second generation 30 gb doesn't work at all but I'm fairly sure that's my usb drives...

jimrz
February 21st, 2006, 05:49 AM
Sansung YP-T7 just plugged it in and no probs, except that the only usb ports on this box are on the back and it seems to have issues [ starts connected normally, then shows "usb disconnected", then file browser window comes up w/player files all showing] if connected to the 4 port usb2 hub that I normally use for front access. Kind of a pain using the port on the rear, so got a 3' usb2 extension cable and now all is good.:)

dosed150
February 21st, 2006, 07:59 AM
dell dj second generation 30 gb doesn't work at all but I'm fairly sure that's my usb drives...

if u download gnomad 2 you should be able to get it working

Rev. Nathan
February 21st, 2006, 08:29 AM
iAudio M3 20GB. Was built around file exploration, so it theoretically will work in any operating system.

Yes, it works near flawlessly in Ubuntu (creates a .trash folder, would rather a speedy deletion).

OGG and FLAC - Right out of the box! :D

It mounts right in Nautilius/Metacity like a USB drive would; did not need any software or tweaking.

All iAudio products work in the same way. I would highly suggest them for Linux, UNIX, Darwin, Solaris, and BSD users. Upgrades are offered in .exes (which run great through wine), and drag-and-drop-into-device installs.

The current product is the iAudio M5 and the iAudio X5; I'm just a little behind times. :o

purdy hate machine
February 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM
Sony Ericsson K750 with 1gb and the HPM-70 headset http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp4_1_1&zone=pp&lm=pp4_1&pid=10254
that headset is a dream.
Haven't tried ogg with it yet.

I have had that exact same phone for ages now but have never even thought about playing music on it as I use an Iriver H10 6gb for my MP3’s. I’ll have to give the K750 a go under Linux, I assume you transfer your music to the phone via Bluetooth?

dosed150
February 21st, 2006, 06:19 PM
iAudio M3 20GB. Was built around file exploration, so it theoretically will work in any operating system.

Yes, it works near flawlessly in Ubuntu (creates a .trash folder, would rather a speedy deletion).

OGG and FLAC - Right out of the box! :D

It mounts right in Nautilius/Metacity like a USB drive would; did not need any software or tweaking.

All iAudio products work in the same way. I would highly suggest them for Linux, UNIX, Darwin, Solaris, and BSD users. Upgrades are offered in .exes (which run great through wine), and drag-and-drop-into-device installs.

The current product is the iAudio M5 and the iAudio X5; I'm just a little behind times. :o

but dont you have to browse it by folders? ill wait till they release firmware for id3 tag browsing

jeremy
February 21st, 2006, 07:21 PM
None

Seq
February 21st, 2006, 10:48 PM
but dont you have to browse it by folders? ill wait till they release firmware for id3 tag browsing
I find the folder browsing to be much easier than tag browsing. Especially when mis-tagging or case-sensitivity in tagging comes into question. Messy stuff.

matthew
February 21st, 2006, 10:54 PM
I find the folder browsing to be much easier than tag browsing. Especially when mis-tagging or case-sensitivity in tagging comes into question. Messy stuff.I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I'm also organized...all my music on my Cowon iAudio M5 are stored artist/album/songtitle so they're ridiculously easy to find. For those who aren't so complusive and just put everything in one folder, well they're out of luck. :)

Seq
February 22nd, 2006, 03:18 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I'm also organized...all my music on my Cowon iAudio M5 are stored artist/album/songtitle so they're ridiculously easy to find. For those who aren't so complusive and just put everything in one folder, well they're out of luck. :)
I have everything organized on my iriver like that as well. If you rip with Banshee or Sound Juicer, it supports this directory scheme.

Rev. Nathan
February 22nd, 2006, 03:47 AM
Yes, folders. However, the playing menu can either read from the file name, or from the tags. So my folders are all organized nicely, and the finished result is spelled out correctly and such with proper tags.

djross95
February 22nd, 2006, 04:11 AM
I have a Samsung YP-U1, works well as a mountable USB "drag and drop" device. Doesn't recognize folders, though, as I found out to my chagrin......... :-)

It would be nice to have Linux-based software that "automagically" fills up the device with a new collection of songs, as does the iPod Shuffle. Oh, well, I can always dream!

DR

egon spengler
February 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
I've got an Archos gmini 202s (http://www.archos.com/products/music/gmini_xs_202S/features.html?country=global&lang=en)

It works as a usb drive which was important to me. It supports m3u playlists, id3 tags (artist, year, genre, album) and directories. Mp3 and wma only though. Says on the box that it's the smallest 20gig player you can get (they would say that though) and it only cost £150. Well not only £150 but for that price nothing else has comparable storage

mike998
February 22nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Sony Mini-Disc Player. MZ-N420D.
Works with it's own crappy "connect" software in Windows or with Realplayer 10.
I have seen a couple of projects online to get it working in Linux but nothing concrete.
IF I need to load songs onto it I usually bring it into work and use my Windows computer at work. I'm thinking of selling it, though.
OGG support? :p MP3 support? :p
Stupid Sony... :twisted:

rado_london
February 22nd, 2006, 05:34 PM
I have Creative Muvo N200 512MB. Ubuntu reconizes it as a flash drive so it works perfectly

ddonky
February 26th, 2006, 07:50 AM
512 MB Ipod shuffle. It works great under 5.10 with this program:

http://shuffle-db.sourceforge.net/

slaging
March 29th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I have a X-Micro made by a up-start company by the same name. Works great, and can be used as a thumb drive.
More info @ http://www.x-micro.com/

AlexandreP
March 30th, 2006, 12:06 AM
I use to have a Minidisc player (Aiwa), and of course it does not work with anything else than Windows. I just bought something else...

I now have a SanDisk Sansa e140, which is also recognized as a Flash drive by Ubuntu. I stock songs and other things on it. Oh, I like USB Mass Storae devices :)

polo_step
March 30th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Alas, none!

My ears are so shot I can't use headphones or earbuds at any volume for more than a minute or two with getting raging tinnitus.

Please be careful to keep your listening levels moderate or you will wind up like me!:(

This is no joke. It's irreversible.

chammi
May 7th, 2006, 05:56 AM

I used to have a Bantam BA350. I loved it. But it died after about 3 yrs and Bantam went under ... so no more support for it. :(

Now I have a Sandisk Sansa e250. It has 2GB space, expandable with micro SD cards (not that I'll probably ever buy one) You can use it in tandem w/ Winmedia (blech!) or set it to work as a USB Mass Storage Device (much better) It's very cute and relatively inexpensive--but I wish it were "techie-er" It seems to be designed for people who don't want to pay for a Nano and who are really into Real Rhapsody or Napster To Go. I would love some advanced features, but I DO like the firmware's GUI.

YES! Haven't tried it in WinMedia transfer mode. But it works wonderfully in Mass Storage mode! The Sandisk people give you precreated folders into which you can drag your various types of media (video. photo, music). The player reads ID3 (nice for me b/c I use Amarok to keep my collection in order) and will use the album art that Amarok fetches from Amazon.

NO! Unfortunately, the player requires that you convert photos and videos (even in Windows) before loading them...and the conversion software is Win-only. So will have to see if someone doesn't create a Linux-friendly tool for this. I get the feeling that video functions were kind of thrown in there as an afterthought; they aren't particularly rich.

I wish! Until users convince Sandisk of the importance of free formats, you'll have to use Audacity or another program to convert your files from OGG/FLAC to MP3 or WMA, which are the only two supported formats.

What did you go though to get it working in Ubuntu?

Heh heh... Turned it on, plugged it in. It mounts automagically as "SANSA e250" on my desktop. Use Nautilus or Konqueror to drag n drop the music you want into it; doesn't matter how you organize the folders (or even if you don't use any folders); the player populates the menus for you. For the record, it seems to unmount MUCH more easily than my portable USB hard drive does.

jason.b.c
May 7th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Has anyone ever messed around with one of these:> http://www.pjrc.com/tech/mp3/

I read about that whole I-Pod Linux thing, I've been wondering if there was some sort of MP3 Player Linux..??

Like a Do it yourself Linux mp3 player project..:)

Well never the less, That thing on that webpage looks cool enough..:D

Onyros
May 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I'm a proud owner of a Rio Karma, which I bought in ebay for 50 dollars, formatted the 1.8" hdd, replaced the battery and is working like a charm.

Best sound quality I've ever had in an mp3 player, ever. Still nowadays it's difficult to find a better mp3 player, especially one that has a parametric equalizer, ogg and FLAC support, a really cool looking dock station that glows whenever it's charging or playing music, with dual RCA line out and ethernet port so you can transfer music across all networked computers :D

Yup, I'm a Karma geek. I really love it ;)

It does work with Ubuntu, through a little java app called Rio Music Manager Lite, which does all it's expected to do (transfer songs, organize playlists - even though I prefer to do it on the player itself).

pdwalpole
May 7th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I have a Samsung YP-MT6, from Amazon, which works very well for me in Ubuntu -- just plugged it in the USB port and Ubuntu recognizes it as a flash drive. It supports Ogg, so I was able to move music right away. Now, if only there was a music manager that supported playlists that I could just drag right onto the player . . . Amarok 1.4? I don't know. But I am enjoying the YP. Very small, easy to use, good battery life, and Ogg support.

Donza
May 7th, 2006, 03:18 PM
-iPod Nano

-Yes

-Well... you have to install Banshee to get write support since Rhythmbox can't do it. And for some reason album art is not transfered when using Banshee.

-No.

-Tried lot of programs gtkpod, Listen etc... Ended up using Banshee.

Teleyinex
May 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM
What about batteries in the cube? How much time?

Carrots171
May 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I have a Creative Zen Micro.

It doesn't support Ogg Vorbis. :(

To get it working in Ubuntu, I had to install Gnomad2 using Synaptic, and for some wierd reason it doesn't work unless I run it as root (I created a desktop shortcut with the command, "gksudo gnomad2").

nocturn
May 15th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I have a simple iDream. It doubles as an USB key, so no configuring required to work.

It does not support Ogg however.

Casey
May 28th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Model:

Just purchased the Samsung YP-Z5A.

The european version is suppose to work in linux, OS X, and windows as a USB mass storage device. The US revision apparently only works in windows and only through MTP. Dapper recognizes the player, but does not mount it and uses 100% of the CPU.

I'm going to return it and try a Nano. Hopefully it will work in linux.

--Casey

jnev
May 28th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I use my PDA for music.. a Dell Axim X51v.

does not sync with linux, though I use a memory card reader to transfer music to it.
plays any format of music ever created with the right software.
currently I have a 4gb mem card in it, though I'm planning on buying a bigger one soon. I also might buy a dedicated player, I was thinking an iriver H140 (from ebay) or an iaudio X5.

kassetra
May 28th, 2006, 06:05 PM
What about batteries in the cube? How much time?

There are many people that say the batteries can be replaced in the cube - I haven't tried it.

The cube plays about 17-18 hours (roughly) on a single 3-hour charge.

RAV TUX
May 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I don't have an MP3 player or any other kind of music listening device, I live in a city where if you have Ipod head phones on you become a victim of crime.

case in point A NY Times reporter recently went for a walk with his ipod on.

1. an ipod is like a bulleyes on your forehead

a. one you do not have all your senses in sharp focus, a prefect target for crime.

b. you are advertising something of worth, so even if you don't have cash or credit cards they can pawn your ipod.

2. ok not really a two.

anyway the reported who would normally be alert and aware. Was distracted by the music or podcast on his ipod. he was hit in the head and robbed. He died in the emegency room.

he unfortunately became a perfect victim of crime by design.

This of course is even worse for women.

my wife refuses to wear any type of MP3 player device even though she knows Tae Kwon Do, perhaps because of her skills she also knows it is best to keep all your senses sharp and keen.

I am heavily influenced by her and her street smarts and also it is so bad the local police force has put warnings out to educate the public about the pitfalls of wearing such devices.

Lizzy
June 3rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
-Netac C600 20GB HD(in Norway they named that thingy JWS..god knows why :confused: ) Fantastic sound + idiotproof :-D

-Perfectly :-D

-Plugg and play. Gets recognised as a USB Harddrive storage

-Ogg,MP3,WMA

shrimphead
June 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Creative MuVo 2 5Gb

works perfectly in Ubuntu (and every other distro I've tried) works as USB HDD

No Ogg Support unfortunately tho, mp3 and wma only :(

sophtpaw
June 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Cowon iAudio M5 (20Gb, 3/4 full!)
Here's a link: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/m5/ (http://www.iaudio.com)
I was looking at this one. Read in the forums that the joystick falls apart after a while, dunno how longyou've had yours, but that put me off a bit, that and the price tag. Sounds great otherwise. But one does want as aprt of the deal a solid piece of hardware, right?:-D

Tragos
June 5th, 2006, 01:10 AM

Samsung YP-U1X (512 MB).

Yes, it does.

Yeah. That's why I decided to buy a Samsung.

Pulled out the player's builtin USB plug and connected it to a USB port on my computer. A new icon appeared on my KDE desktop and after clicking the icon, the player was mounted as /media/sda1.

TeeAhr1
June 5th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I have a state-of-the-art music playing device, made by Sony, called a "Discman." When combined with a CD-RW drive, it is enormously powerful, and compatible anywhere AA batteries are sold.

Donshyoku
June 5th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Sandisk Sansa m240...

1GB Internatl Flash RAM...

Works in Ubuntu out of the box. It has an MTP and MSC mode, use MSC and drag and drop your audio files from your window to the recognized disk. Items must be placed in the Media or Recordings folder depending on how you want to access it on the player.

No OGG support.

mrcowcow
June 5th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I have a iPod 4g monochrome. It has 20gb of space, and works great.

JSchwage
June 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM
1. I'm another one of those overly common iPod users. I've got a 2 GB white iPod nano.

2. Ubuntu recognized my iPod the second I plugged it in.

3. I'm pretty sure ogg-vorbis isn't supported. But that's not a problem, as I don't use OGG.

4. Absolutely nothing.

lapsey
June 5th, 2006, 04:53 PM
vvvvvv :D

shakespeare
June 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Creative Zen Vision:M (30GB)

No ogg support.:(

Intended to work with WinXP only (not even Win2K!), and relies on MS MTP on USB as the only interface. The included Windows software is functional, but not entirely reliable; it has had several glitches on a new XP-only Dell laptop.:evil:

On Ubuntu (or any current Linux distrobution), one must download and compile the newest versions of libnjb, libmtp, and gnomad2 from Sourceforge. Then transferring and manipulating mp3s on the zen is easy with gnomad2. No glitches on an Ubuntu-only Sony laptop.:cool:

Note that the gnomad2 and kzenexplorer in the Dapper repositories do not support MTP devices. Note also, that with libmtp, gnomad2 only allows mp3s on the zen to be accessed or manipulated, and does not give access to videos or playlists on the zen.](*,)

EDIT 1: gnomad2 2.8.6 allows zen playlists to be accessed. Apparently there is also new banshee in CVS which also has MTP support, and should be able to access the zen.:cool:

EDIT 2: I also have a Packard-Bell no-frills mp3 player. It is accessed as a plain USB drive, and is automounted by Ubuntu. Works fine.

paul cooke
June 26th, 2006, 10:56 PM

I use my Palm Tungsten E

works fine in ubuntu

use an SD card reader to get music onto it. Play ogg files using ptunes for Palm OS.

GuitarHero
June 26th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I have an iRiver H10 20gb. It works with windows media player so i doubt it will work with ubuntu, but i havnt tried it. I could probbaly get it to work with a mass storage connection. Anyone know if the toshiba gigabeat works with linux?

kassetra
July 9th, 2006, 06:02 AM
I know I mentioned how I love my little cube more than my ipods... well... I still do, now, even more so.

The company that made my cube just came out with a new little video player... still tiny, still cute... but... *OGG* support.

http://www.mobibluamerica.com/dhh200.html#

LOL so, something I accidentally made happen when I was playing with my cube - is now officially supported. :) If this little video player is anything like the little cube I bought from them .... it should work 100% in linux. :)

I can't wait to play with it!

slimdog360
July 9th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I have an Iriver T10, it supports ogg among others and works well in Ubuntu. Though I think I was lucky with this one as Ive been told that some later models from Iriver dont support ogg.

drizek
July 11th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Just bought this yesterday:

Iriver H320

It works perfectly in kubuntu as an external drive. It supports OGG out of the box and using rockbox will give me FLAC(and a ton of others) support.

Orval
July 17th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I just got a Creative Zen Touch and in combination with Gnomad2 it just rocks! With my new Sennheiser PMX200 and properly converted mp3's with SoundJuicer or Grip (vbr!) the sound is awesome. Next days (weeks?) I will be busy converting my whole CD-collection and loading them onto my new toy. Too bad that the Touch doesn't support oggs, but I can live with that. The alternative I was considering was the iAudio X5 (which has ogg-support), but that little baby costs €100,-- more. One big advangage of the Touch is its battery life. You can listen to your music for 24 hours on 1 battery load.

I still have to get used to the touchpad, we're not very close friends yet, but that will come.

mozetti
July 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM
iRiver H340

Supported as a USB storage device

I believe it has OGG support with the original firmware, but i run Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org) on it because it's superior to the stock firmware.

PatrickMay16
July 17th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I've had this for a year or two now:
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2305/4219423xs3.jpg

It's an ALBA MP364ND1, with an INCREDIBLE 64MB of storage space! It takes a single AAA battery.

I can fit about two hours worth of stuff on it if I lower the quality of the files a bit. This is fine with me, since my ears aren't so sensitive to low quality sound. Sure, I can hear the difference very well, it doesn't bother me. I can go down to about 56kbps; any lower and it will start bothering me.

bluenova
July 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM
What kind of mp3 player do you have? Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 60Gb

Does it work properly in Ubuntu? Yes

Does it work properly in Ubuntu? But I would like it to work better, it can be temperamental, and the Gnomad2 software is very basic.

Does it have OGG support? Never tried it, but going to now.

WHat did you go though to get it working in Ubuntu? Installed Gnomad2 via apt, this installed all deps such as libnjb.

hobieone
July 25th, 2006, 06:42 AM
i have a creative labs zen nano plus 1gb which ilike alot asfor working in ubuntu. you could say yeah when iyr hooked up to usb cable ubuntu see it as a regular flashdrive. can tranfer mp3's to that why but so far none no players will reconize it for playlists unless prehaps there a linux cliemt of win amp??

kopinux
July 25th, 2006, 07:34 AM
iPod shuffle 1gb.

it works good in Ubuntu6.
i use banshee and transfer my library smoothly.

does not work on windows quicktunes, dont know why.
having some write errors.

Enigmus
July 25th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I used to have a Panasonic, but it died on me for unknown reasons. I never got a chance to test it on Ubuntu. I'll probably get an iPod shuffle. They seem quite good.

Lord Illidan
July 25th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I have a Creative Zen Micro and my sis has an Ipod Nano.

The Creative works perfectly with Gnomad2, and I use Amarok to handle my sister's music on the Nano, still haven't found a way to transfer pictures to it.

No ogg support on both of the players.

However their sound is good, and they're pretty nice, so I recommend them.

graabein
July 25th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I have an iPod Photo 60 GB that works great with Ubuntu 6.06. I have not looked into transferring album cover pictures or other pictures. I just load music on it from my hard disc.

My next player might be an iAudio from Cowon.

dogman24
August 2nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
iPod 5G 30GB

Mounts and reads

Read-only, can't write any kind of data to it.

can't sync any music to it

yahoo
October 9th, 2006, 10:34 AM
What kind of mp3 player do you have? Sandisk Sansa E260 - 4GB flash player with video, photo, FM tuner, voice and FM recorder.

Does it work properly in Ubuntu? Yes. Has MTP and MSC options, set to MSC to drag and drop/copy and paste files.

Does it have OGG support? No.
Rockbox website reports a start to porting to the Sansa E200 series, so I live in hope.

What did you go though to get it working in Ubuntu? Pluged into USB and it showed up as a removable drive.

I copied a jpg and bmp to the device, but when selected to view all that showed was a note "Please use Sansa Media Converter to convert this photo file. Bummer, I'll have to boot WinXP to transfer videos and photos. But mp3's transfer and play well.

aktiwers
October 9th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I got an Ipod 4gb.. But would like one on 60gb :)
Still cant figure how to use it with ubuntu, so for now, I have to use my Macbook.

aysiu
November 25th, 2007, 04:52 PM
To be continued in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=622922).