PDA

View Full Version : Hello Ubuntu Community

dooroo62
January 14th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I just wanted to say hello to everyone in the community.

I'm planning on installing Ubuntu 5.10 on an old IBM Thinkpad 390E and I look forward to the experience. Previously I have created a linux router using Coyote Linux, a few years ago. I want to get back into the linux world and so here I am. The community seems hospitable and I hope you will cut this
n00b some slack if my questions get too silly. I do know where the search feature is and I promise to use it before asking my silly questions. Oh yeah, and google is my friend....

I look forward to our future conversations

Now, once more into the fiery breach!

rfruth
January 14th, 2006, 04:50 AM
No laptop / notebook / Thinkpad here but i'll help if I can !

dooroo62
January 15th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Nothing but successes so far. :smile: I'm posting my first post via my ubuntu powered ibm thinkpad 390e. I don't have alot of horse power in the hardware but am plesently suprised at the ease of setting up this system so far. The install time was suprisingly long but considering all that was done I'm not complaining. Thanks to all who made ubuntu a pleasure so far. I'm looking forward to the reset of this journey. I'm off to read, read, read....

dooroo62

chiefofthejojos
January 15th, 2006, 04:18 AM
If you are looking for a little better performance on your hardware, you may want to try Xubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallingXubuntu). It's ubuntu with xfce as the display manager. I tried it briefly and was delighted to see that all the menus were prepopulated with most of the apps I'm already familiar with and the footprint is miniscule.

Mr_Grieves
January 15th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Hiyas dooroo and welcome to the forum :D