PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No display

fireball961
May 25th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hello all,
My issue today is.... lets start from the top
Dell Inspiron 1525
15.4" widescreen
Everything was working just fine until i connected my SVideo cable to my notebook. after that my screen never left standard letterbox size, now i fiddled around with it, reconected the svideo fiddled some more. i decided to chaing the resolution to the only one that had 16.9, allthow it was quite smaller i thort id give it a try, well it dnt work, also now i cant get out of that resolution, so i decided to reboot (y not). after that all i got was "THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!" no not blue... black, so reboot into XP and looked around, then one posed said re-boot in to the console and type in "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xor" and inpatient me just went ahead and read a lil and just hit ok( **** bad mistake). so i done that and now i cant even get into the recovery console. yes i have totaly screwed it i know. can i recover Ubuntu?
ow yeah and this is my first time with Ubuntu and with any Linux OS.
Cheers PPL!

XP will have to do for now....hummmm!

DPG 2009

overdrank
May 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hello all,
My issue today is.... lets start from the top
Dell Inspiron 1525
15.4" widescreen
Everything was working just fine until i connected my SVideo cable to my notebook. after that my screen never left standard letterbox size, now i fiddled around with it, reconected the svideo fiddled some more. i decided to chaing the resolution to the only one that had 16.9, allthow it was quite smaller i thort id give it a try, well it dnt work, also now i cant get out of that resolution, so i decided to reboot (y not). after that all i got was "THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!" no not blue... black, so reboot into XP and looked around, then one posed said re-boot in to the console and type in "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xor" and inpatient me just went ahead and read a lil and just hit ok( **** bad mistake). so i done that and now i cant even get into the recovery console. yes i have totaly screwed it i know. can i recover Ubuntu?
ow yeah and this is my first time with Ubuntu and with any Linux OS.
Cheers PPL!

XP will have to do for now....hummmm!

DPG 2009

Hi and welcome, do you get a error that stops you from reaching recovery mode?

fireball961
May 25th, 2009, 10:50 PM
hello..
no i do not get any errors, it just stops at broadcom. i think it is trying to load the drivers (broadcom i think is my network drivers) but after i posted this i went back into Ubuntu, this time without going into the recovery console at all. and i got this:

ALERT! /host/ubuntu/disk/root.disk dose noot exist. Drooping to shell!

Busy v1.10.2 (ubuntu 1:1:10.2 ubuntu7) built -inshell (ash)
Enter Help for list of commands.

(initramfs)
[11.422808] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] assuming driver cache : write through.
[11.424715] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] assuming driver cache : write through.
[11.679986] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] assuming driver cache : write through.
[11.683690] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] assuming driver cache : write through.

now i do not know any of the help commands so i just left it.

sorry about the lack of info on the title: to be real this is my first ever post, iv always read others and fixed my probs by just investing time and education. the only thing now is it is no longer a display error, it is a OS issue now! i could go the ezy way and reinstall Ubuntu but then i wont now what happened and how to fix it!
thanks for taking the time to help.