PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ratpoison problem

NeoDevin
May 25th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I'm running Ubuntu Jaunty on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A100, if that matters), installed ratpoison with "sudo apt-get install ratpoison". It doesn't show up in the GDM sessions list, so I opened a failsafe terminal, typed "ratpoison" to open it. "ctrl+t c" gives me the error message "Failed to contact the GConf daemon; exiting", and displays the not "/bin/sh -c "x-terminal-emulator" finished".

Any advice on how to get this working?

Thanks in advance.

Devin

ad_267
May 25th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Try creating a ratpoison.desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions/. Just copy the Gnome one and change what you need. That way you can log in from GDM.

NeoDevin
May 25th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Done, thanks. That lets me log in from there, but I still can't open a terminal in ratpoison.

konard
May 30th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I just updated to Jaunty and had the same problem. The reason you can not get a terminal is because C-t c is bound to "exec x-terminal-emulator" which does nothing because there is no executable called on you system x-terminal-emulator. So all you need to do to get it working is bind C-t c to terminal emulator like xterm. To do this create a text file in your home directory called .ratpoisonrc, ex. /home/yourusername/.ratpoisonrc and write in it:

bind c exec xtermThis file executes what ever commands are in it when ratpoison starts. You can use to bind other programs to keys in ratpoison as well,l just add
bind "key" exec "name of program" or run programs on start up like
exec xterm to start with a terminal.

NeoDevin
June 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Thanks, works perfectly!

yolcoyama
June 4th, 2009, 05:28 AM
You can boot x-terminal-emulator by adding this line to your "~/.ratpoisonrc":

exec /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconfd-2 &(gconfd path has to be changed for your environment)

also, I found xterm a little unconsistent when other xterm process running back the ground, it freezes a minute on every shift to the frame.