PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Problem

roemo
May 25th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I've been trying to install Ubuntu but I'm having a problem.

When I load up my 8.10 CD I get to the screen that asks me if I want to see the Demo or Install or Test Memory etc.

When I click Install or Demo, I see the Ubuntu symbol and the loading bar, and then it loads. But after that, the screen is white and dark boxes are in the background and it gets darker. Then it freezes with a dark rectangle in the background and nothing happens after that.

Can anyone tell me why this happens or what I might be doing wrong?

P.S. I am a complete Linux noob ._.

Any help is appreciated!!

cariboo
May 25th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Try starting in safe graphics mode, press F4 at the menu screen and select safe graphics mode and then boot.

lavinog
May 25th, 2009, 05:27 AM
There seems to be some issues with various graphic cards. Can you give us your system specs: Manufacturer, Video card (intel, nVidia, ATI...). Also did are you trying ubuntu 64 bit or 32?

roemo
May 25th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Sure I'll try and get that info after I install it.

I managed to get it all the way to where I have to partition it, but it's been stuck on 0% for a while now. Is that supposed to happen?

lavinog
May 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM
How are you partitioning it? Are you wiping the whole hd or are you setting up a dual boot?
I think I recall seeing 0% for a while on my install...I just walked away and came back 10-15 mins later and it was progressing on.