PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] /var/cache/apt/archives

ayu
May 25th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Hi,

Are ALL the files downloaded by update-manager and synaptics stored in /var/cache/apt/archives? Is it safe to simply move these files to an external drive? And then if I need to upgrade another machine without an internet connection, can I just copy the files to that machine and it knows it doesn't have to download them?

Thanks,
Ayu

cariboo
May 25th, 2009, 05:23 AM
You can copy the archived packages to another partition, and then use:

sudo apt-get clean

to remove them properly.

ayu
May 26th, 2009, 06:58 AM
You can copy the archived packages to another partition, and then use:

sudo apt-get clean

to remove them properly.

Thanks. Do I need to do anything if I want to use them later? Or can I just copy them into the directory?

ayu
June 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
So what do I need to do to use them later?

Thanks,
Ayu

mcduck
June 2nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
So what do I need to do to use them later?

Thanks,
Ayu

Yes, you can just copy them back and apt-get/synaptic will use theminstead of dowlaoding same package versions again from the net. Or you can insall them one at a time with GDebi or dpkg. Or even install them all at once with "sudo dpkg -i *.deb".

kranny
June 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM
All u need is to backup the deb files and copy them to a new system,followed by a

sudo apt-get update

Now you can install them offline thru synaptic

ayu
June 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Yes, you can just copy them back and apt-get/synaptic will use theminstead of dowlaoding same package versions again from the net. Or you can insall them one at a time with GDebi or dpkg. Or even install them all at once with "sudo dpkg -i *.deb".

All u need is to backup the deb files and copy them to a new system,followed by a

sudo apt-get update

Now you can install them offline thru synaptic

Thanks guys! Is update-manager just a frontend for synaptic/apt-get, and so it will also see them?