PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing World of Warcraft Expansion

fealubryne
May 25th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Hi all, I hope this is the right place to be asking this, but I'm a bit frazzled right now.

After some virus unpleasantness, it was finally decided that reformatting and starting fresh would be the best thing to do and so I recently installed Ubuntu on the desktop in question. I personally have minimal experience with this sort of thing, but have been doing the dirty work nonetheless by virtue of research, trial, and error. Up to this point I've managed to get Ubuntu installed, Wine installed, and both original World of Warcraft as well as the first expansion, Burning Crusade. Now I've run into some difficulty.

First of all, while I installed WoW and BC from the CDs and they worked beautifully, the second expansion, Wrath of the Lich King, comes on a DVD and doesn't work. I've tried several things, such as trying to run it through the terminal (which results in an error about the installer not being found, while it's in the drive), opening it through the explorer, etc. I'm not entirely sure how to go about installing this, which is irksome since the main account of the person I'm doing this far needs the last expansion to be playable.

Second, I can launch the game itself (in the attempts to play a second account without the expansions enabled), but the moment I do the screen splits horizontally, displaying the top half the screen twice. When the user agreement pops up in-game I can't see the second half to accept, so I can't get into the game itself and begin patching.

I have a feeling this last has something to do with the graphics card, possibly a driver not being installed/installed correctly, but I'm not entirely sure how to fix this as I'm still very new to all of this and extremely awkward when it comes to figuring out how I'm supposed to go about things.

If anyone could give me some hints/guidelines (the more detailed the better?) I would be very grateful. Trying to sort through all this with an extremely bored significant other pacing around the house like a caged lion isn't exactly a good time.

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I've been working on this for the past couple of hours and seem to have it mostly narrowed down to a lack of kernel compilation. I've done a bit of toying with it, with a little success, but a number of errors. Could anyone help me figure out where to get the proper kernel package (2.6.28-11-generic, apparently?) and get it compiled?