PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Going back or wait?

ElectroWaycrow
May 25th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Less function with upgrade to 9.04

Can someone explain to me the best way to get back to where I was with Ubuntu? I upgraded and now my machine works less than it did with 8.10; mainly video issues and loss of sandisk connectivity. I'm on a Toshiba Satellite AMD 64 with ATI Radon graphics x1200.

Should I wait until fixes/patches come out, or just back up my files and reload 8.10? I'm sure others have the same issue so what's been your experience and what would you recommend? Is there an easy way to just go back? Or should I just hold on, or should I just bite the bullet and rebuild 8.10, or even go back to 8.04 while I'm at it for the LTS?

If I go to 8.04 can I still use openoffice 3? Or is there really a point to that?

What I want to use the computer for is internet stuff, web and email, fiddle with my mp3 players, use open office, wine, and that's pretty much it. Does the new kernel stuff offer me that much to put up with the trouble or the wait for patches?

tommcd
May 25th, 2009, 01:52 AM
You could always do a clean install of Ubuntu 9.04 if the dist-upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 went badly. There is no easy way to go back to 8.10 without a clean instal as far as I know.

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

Mark Phelps
May 25th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I upgraded and now my machine works less than it did with 8.10; mainly video issues and loss of sandisk connectivity. I'm on a Toshiba Satellite AMD 64 with ATI Radon graphics x1200.

Should I wait until fixes/patches come out, or just back up my files and reload 8.10?
The video problem has been documented again and again in these forums -- AMD/ATI dropped support for "older" cards -- which, in some cases, has resulted in lower quality or slower video, and in other cases, no video.

There will be no fixes or patches because the card vendor has stopped writing the drivers needed. The only solution now is to use the open source driver -- which is installed by default.

Don't know about the sandisk problem; can't help you with that.