PDA

View Full Version : Freescale and ARM promising sub $200 (£140) netbooks.

irv
May 25th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I have been thinking about buying a Netbook when I ran across this article on Freescale and ARM promising sub $200 (£140) netbooks. It sounds very promising. In the article it said it would have a battery live of eight hours. And if it is released in the second half of this year I won’t have to wait to long to maybe get one.
I know that I have heard that Intel architecture was better suited than ARM’s to running Windows, as indicated in this article but I don’t want it for Windows, I want to run Ubuntu. So my big question is: Am I better off with a ARM or Intel architect for Linux? I also was thinking about Moblin, and I don’t know if it will run on ARM? From what I have read in this Forum Moblin is just for Intel Atom. Maybe I will just have to wait and see what happens with this Netbook when it finely comes out.
Here is the link to the article. http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39587602,00.htm

Sublime Porte
May 25th, 2009, 02:33 AM
ARM netbooks are going to be pretty good, especially as far as battery life is concerned, but also size, weight etc. will be much better.

If you want to run Ubuntu, then no problem, there's already an ARM port of Ubuntu. If you want to run Moblin, then I don't think so, cos Moblin is an Intel sponsored project, so I doubt they'll be supporting their competitors processors.

irv
May 25th, 2009, 01:33 PM
ARM netbooks are going to be pretty good, especially as far as battery life is concerned, but also size, weight etc. will be much better.

If you want to run Ubuntu, then no problem, there's already an ARM port of Ubuntu. If you want to run Moblin, then I don't think so, cos Moblin is an Intel sponsored project, so I doubt they'll be supporting their competitors processors.

Thanks, you just concurred what I thought to be the case.

joey-elijah
May 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
However don't forget that Moblin is opensource and things such as it's new sexy interface can easily be ported to other distros - Suse are currently porting the moblin interface, for example.

Ubuntu are also working on getting the boot speed of moblin integrated into Ubuntu for 9.10 - so what moblin contributes finds it way to other places :)

I personally am intrigued by Moblin, but the fact it's fedora based puts me off.

Paqman
May 25th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Linux and ARM get along great, I have an ARM-powered NAS at home that sips very efficiently at my electricity, so I can believe the power claims.

However, there are some big problems for ARM as a desktop system. No Flash is a massive deal-breaker for me personally.

CrazyArcher
May 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Heard about it a while ago, sounds like an excelent idea. I guess it would mean even greater separation between laptop and netbook platforms, which is justified, IMO.

irv
May 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Now I see Dell is coming out with the Latitude 2100-N netbook, and there are some good reviews on it. But the price is around $444. But it has some good things I like like an easy way to upgrade to 2gig of RAM. The bad part is it only come with 512mb standard. One thing I can say is we do have a lot of choices when it come to Netbooks.
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and it really sucks when it come to Ubuntu. Much of the hardware is not supported. Ubuntu runs perfect on my old laptop with no name. Everything is supported.